Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I want to ask your opinions about my dog’s humping behaviour. Kiwi is 8 month old now and he has not been neutered yet, our plan is to get him neutered after 1 year old. (It could change if I am convinced his humping behaviour is not related to being intact).
He started to hump occasionally with his day bed( a round shape bed) when he was 12 weeks at the time he came to us. We were told that is normal and didn’t intervene ever since. He tried several times to hump my legs and I forbid that and now he does not do that any more. Here is the problem, He humps his bed only but he does it EVERYDAY. I don’t know if this is considered excessive? I don’t enjoy seeing his man part come out.. I wanted to hide his day bed because there are times when I wash it and he is fine for that day, and since he only hump this only thing, to me this is the solution. But my husband says if we don’t allow Kiwi to do it, he will release the disruptive energy somewhere else, like chewing the furniture.
What do you think? Would neutering fix the problem?

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,780 Posts
Does he do it at the same time every day? What precedes it? If you know what purpose the behaviour is serving, you may be able to give him another outlet.

My last girl humped her whole life, always in an effort to control chaotic situations.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
My dog humped one of his toys and our couch when he was maybe 6-9 months of age. He would also suckle the same toy while kneading it. Both behaviors seemed to be self soothing. After around 9 months, he stopped humping inanimate objects but to this day he continues to suckle his toys. Always as if their eyes are the nipple. I don't mind self soothing behavior as long as it's not excessive. Once a day for 10-15 minutes is alright I think. Hours every day would be too much. You just don't want to see obsession. In regard to actual arousal... one time Misha went a bit too far humping the couch and actually got an erection. He was incredibly horrified and seemed to be begging me for help because he felt something was very very wrong. He just stood in shock not even wanting to walk. But then my boyfriend arrived home and the distraction resolved the issue. After that incident he was very careful not to get carried away with his attentions and would periodically check to make sure nothing was going on down there. He would try to hump peoples' arms occasionally around the same age if they were sitting on the floor. He stopped that after a while.

Humping is a normal dog behavior and usually training is enough to guide a dog away from inappropriate humping. As PTP said, they hump for all sorts of reasons. Sometimes because they are excited, sometimes because they want to incite play, and sometimes because they are stressed. My dog also went through a phase where he humped young males around 9-12 months. These days he rarely tries to hump other dogs. He will occasionally if he gets very excited during play, but it's quite manageable.

Whether neutering would reduce it... depends on why he's doing it. Dogs that hump people excessively are often benefitted by neutering, but many neutered dogs also hump both people and other dogs. If it's a self soothing behavior, I'm not so sure neutering would have any effect. Personally I wouldn't let it sway me to neuter early unless the behavior is obsessive and damaging his quality of life, and also seems sexually driven.

In regard to intact dogs, they go through a very complex mental maturation. A problem behavior will often be aged out of as they become mature, though training will help with this. Mental maturity doesn't really come until 2 or 3, so you will still see changes in their interaction with people and other dogs as they become adults.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your reply! My dog does it multiple times a day and there are no particular triggers.. it could be when we are eating lunch and he is alone in living room, or after coming back from evening walk/play outside, sometimes it happens right after he gets up. And almost every time, he erects! I guess this is considered excessive? Not sure if this phase will pass....

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Thanks for your reply! My dog does it multiple times a day and there are no particular triggers.. it could be when we are eating lunch and he is alone in living room, or after coming back from evening walk/play outside, sometimes it happens right after he gets up. And almost every time, he erects! I guess this is considered excessive? Not sure if this phase will pass....
Not necessarily obsessive if it is just several times a day for short periods. A dog showing "lipstick" isn't necessarily erect though. They have a bone in the penis so it is rigid all the time and just slides out very easily due to positioning or mild blood flow increase. The humping position alone will make it slide out. A true erection for a dog is not so common. There is actually a part at the base that enlarges so they get stuck so it can't retract. It looks very much like something is wrong with them when it happens! I've only ever seen it happen to my dog once. He says never again!

·
Super Moderator
8,780 Posts
Does he have a good chew habit? Peggy does and will quickly grab something in her mouth if she knows she needs to calm down. This could be an alternative behaviour for Kiwi.

I would pair this with transitioning him to another, differently shaped bed and see what happens. You can always take a step back if he doesn’t handle the change well.

Based on your previous posts, I would also recommend connecting with a good trainer if you’ve not already. They can create personalized plans for you as issues pop up, and they can get to know you and Kiwi, which will give them more insights into his behaviour than we can offer through the forum. He sounds like a sensitive guy, as so many poodles are, with possibly a low threshold for frustration (not uncommon in adolescence). He might be lacking in appropriate coping skills. Again, I’m basing this on your previous posts, not just this one.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
It's not only boys that do this. My miniature girl, Sass, was occasionally heard in the living room where she'd dragged a down filled back pillow off the bergere chair and humped it. She started this after witnessing a neighbor dog try to hump her older mpoo (unrelated) sister.

My current boys did this to each other when very young, just as a part of play. Then as they started maturing, Remo was trying the behavior out on a few new dogs he met. By the time we had them neutered at just over 1 year old I realized that it had been a month or more since I'd yelled "Remo, get off your brother!" :).

Reactions: Raindrops

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
A dog that humps another dog is simply displaying dominance. It's rather funny to see our 11 lb miniature poodle hump the 70 lb Labrador (both are female). Yep, the mini poodle rules the roost here.

·
Registered
142 Posts
My 5-month old puppy humps one of his large soft toys or one of our legs when he's over-stimulated or over-tired. We often put him in his crate for a nap when we see this behavior.

·
Registered
47 Posts
JoJo has done this her whole life. It is always her cuddle cup dog bed. She grabs it with her mouth in the same spot, drags it around, then jumps on and goes at it. It is hilarious 😂. She actually drags the bed all over the house, often, I suspect, when she is bored. She totally dominates that dog bed! Coincidentally, just saw something on YouTube today about why dogs do certain things. It said it is a dominance thing, to show who’s in charge.
Lexigirl

·
Super Moderator
8,780 Posts
It’s more likely an expression of excitement, boredom, or frustration than “dominance” as most people would understand the term. Attempting to dominate and actually being dominant are two very different thing. Dominance behaviour in a dog typically comes from a place of insecurity:

“Dominance is not a personality trait; it's a situation-specific behavior. True dominance aggression issues are extremely rare. In my experience as a trainer, dogs who are labeled dominant are often extremely insecure and fearful — in other words, the exact opposite of dominant. Behaviors commonly considered a sign of dominance, such as humping, frequently stem from insecurity or hyper-excitability. In addition, pet owners who label their dogs as dominant often feel more justified using harsh training methods, such as alpha rolls and prong collars. However, these tactics do little to encourage long-term behavior change and can foster a fear of the pet owner.”

·
Registered
581 Posts
It's a strange thing. My husband has had 2 chihuahuas with humping issues. My working dogs don't. I have 2 females who on rare occasion will exhibit humping toward each other which immediately stops when I say something. I think if my husband had caught & addressed the issues when they first started this behavior, it would have stopped. His first Chi to do this tried it on me & I just lifted her off my arm & gave a correction word. When she tried to mount me again I used the correction word & she stopped. Rarely would she try it again after that but if there was any attempt I only had to say, "Huh, uh, you know better" & that was the end of that. Same with his current little girl Boo Boo. She used to try to hump him at bedtime but he was like, "oh no, not another one" so I worked with him to curb it. Now she just focuses this behavior on her stuffed gorilla toy. This is the only thing she humps. She did it while in tact & I have noticed a decrease in it after she was spayed. Now generally once a day. Like your dog I can't seem to put any one thing to her humping. She is a super playful dog. My husband's other Chi was not playful at all. She had a couple of toys, String Kitty & Rubber Duckie. She never attempted to hump them at all. She took such good care of those toys. On the other hand, Boo loves toys & bones. She plays hard but the Mister Gorilla, he's gonna get ran over, wrestled with, bitten, drug all over creation & humped. She used to hump him 3-4 times a day. After the spaying (which turned her into a monster for a few weeks until her hormones leveled) she went through a false pregnancy & he became her "baby" then 6 weeks later... she humped again. Now once a day. Our other Chi will only hump Boo & she does it when Boo reverse sneezes. She used to do this as a dominance thing but the only time she could get away with it was when Boo was busy with a reverse sneeze.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts