Poodle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aww, Gracie is so cute and so smart! :love:

I would love to see the mature Peggy update :)

·
Premium Member
3,808 Posts
When I was training my service dog, Honey, we worked on opening a cupboard and retrieving a Pepsi. I started with pick up the can off the floor and hand it to me. Then we worked on tugging open the cupboard door with a tug. I alternated between these two skills until she was solid. Then, I showed her the Pepsi can and I put it in the cupboard and closed the door.

Honey's tail almost wagged off when she yanked open the cupboard door, retrieved the Pepsi, and put it in my hand. It was one of the cutest moments in her life. Go get a Pepsi was one of her favorite tasks. Trot through the house, open the cupboard door, retrieve a Pepsi, bring it through the house, put it in my hand, return to the kitchen and close the cupboard door.

Such a good dog. I miss her.
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Working animal Fawn

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yup! Ren has a set of squeaky toys that get "buried" under the couch or hidden away to prevent option one. He remembers where said toys are, and will beg hours later at the cabinet hiding his toy or at the spot under the couch where he left it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yup! Ren has a set of squeaky toys that get "buried" under the couch or hidden away to prevent option one. He remembers where said toys are, and will beg hours later at the cabinet hiding his toy or at the spot under the couch where he left it.
Yup! Same with Pavie. I have to hide his squeaky toys, otherwise he'll be squeaking them all day and all night 😂

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
We used to play a type of hide and seek with our various dogs. One person hid while the other held the dog, and made sure they were not peeking. The poodles were quick to hear any accidental sound clues, and ran sniffing the air when they were released. The Airedale was a ground sniffer. Both breeds were equally fast to locate the missing person. The crack up was our Rottweiler. He, without fail, always checked the last hiding spot before moving on to other search methods. So, if we played ten rounds, he would run like crazy to the previous ten hiding spots and then, move on to his wild and crazy search. Of course, this meant he took forever to find the missing person. I swear the poodles rolled their eyes in disbelief, while the Airedale was just disgusted. I loved seeing how different breeds and the individual dogs within the breed solve problems. Dog Carnivore Companion dog Dog breed Whiskers

·
Registered
997 Posts
I took a "really reliable recall" class with Zephyr, and the final week was outside. The instructor held the dog while the owner walked away into the parking lot and when we were out of sight of our dog we turned and went someplace to hide and call our dog. All the other dogs followed the route they saw their owner walk away, but Zephyr headed straight for where he heard me calling from.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts