Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if anyone ever calls their dog by a 'nickname' instead of their 'given' name?

My mini's name is Rocky. I actually don't use nicknames for him but I've told him, 'You're incorrigible!' so many times that I'm wondering if I should have named him 'Cori' instead.

One day I went to the pet store to return an item. Walked into the store, made an immediate left turn to the cashier, returned the item and walked out. Never thought of looking down at Rocky 'till we were in the parking lot. When I discovered that he was holding a toy in his mouth. We did an abrupt turn around and I marched the thief back into the store.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Hope you bought Rocky the toy he picked out!

Our nickname for Zoe has been "the black terror". Actually her only bad thing that she did as a puppy (and still does sometimes) is shred paper. She just loves paper!

·
Registered
6,736 Posts
Yes, all my dogs have always had nicknames. I don’t choose them, they just come to me out of the blue. They’re stupid little made up names that I would be embarrassed to say in front of anyone outside my family, lol !

I can have multiple names for each dog, sometimes 3 or 4. They all recognize them.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Oh yes
Cayenne actually scratches her potty patch before using so I call her Pee Digger, and she will come running
Bella is so dainty that she is Mommy's Princess
Sage Is more shy than the rest, many times Baby is added come Baby Sage
When I want them all to come I say come girls, that usually means going by by

·
Premium Member
22,992 Posts
Lily's registered name is kennel's Lily my last name, so she is just Lily or Lils or sometimes pupchick.

Javelin's registered name is kennel's Black Moon Rising so he is never called his registered name and most of the time we calls him Javvy or Javvys or Javvypups.

Reactions: SMSP

·
Registered
596 Posts
Louie has a few nick names - my grandson and I came up with Louie Kablooie - which is inspired by Calvin & Hobbes. I also call him Sweetie (which is really weird since I have never been one for overly sweet names...) At times I call him Peanut - because he is truly so much smaller than all my recent dogs - and that combines with Sweetie into Sweet Pea.... My grandson is very amused by all these names - he is 4 and likes using them for Louie. And I use them both for the Poodle Kid and him now... so when I call out Sweet Pea - they both turn around... -;-)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,418 Posts
I have always had nicknames for my pups

Princess Beatrice is Beatrice, Bea, BeeBee, Bumblebee, Grumble Bea, Sweet Pickle, Princess Bea, Brown Bea

Miss Pia Maria is Pia, Pia Pia, Puh-Puh-Pia, Onomatopoeia, PP, Peeee, Picklepants

Mr. Leonard Pink is Leonard, Lenny, Len, Mr. Pink, Lenny Penny, Len Pen, Junior Mint, Little Man and occasionally Turd

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I usually only use the name Miracle when I am calling her to come to me. Otherwise she is "Meerkat" or "Meerie."

Jasper is "Jaspie" or "Jasperro" or "Jasperito."

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Molly's nic names are Mo, Momo, Memo, Girlfriend, Baby Girl, Pretty Girl.........and when she has selective hearing it is 'S#@$head!' LOL!

Reactions: SMSP

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Oliver was never registered by his first family, and I found his breeder wrote in all their information on the back of the form, so I can't register him, though it was a couple years before I actually turned the darn form over and saw that.

I had worked and worked and worked on a registered name for him and had come up with something that hinted at my geography of origin and tied both his name to my (now late) cat's name. Then saw I couldn't use it.

Oliver is Ollie, Ol, the Ver, Oliver Andrew (the middle name he chose after joining my family), Boo, Ollieboo, and he also has a recently added secret additional middle name. And sometimes variations on the above, too.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Poppy's nickname is Boo Boo........said in my very best Yogi Bear voice from the cartoons. "Hey there BooBoo... let's go get the pick a nick basket"

Boo Boo because she is my sidekick like Yogi Bear's sidekick, Boo Boo.

At other times her alternate nick names are:

Crazy Person
" Hey, you.......Almost a Dog". ( because she is so human like)
Miss Fluffy Butt
Miss Fancy Pants
Hey, Sidekick
Snuggle bunny
Squirrel monitor
Dammit Poppy.....not very often, anymore :D

·
Registered
419 Posts
I only use his name, Rudy, when I want him to come or it is imperative that he respond. Otherwise, it's "RuRu", pumpkin, sweetie, fuzz oid etc.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Katerina’s nicknames: Faterina, Smaterina, Blaterina, Katty Fatty Shmat, Pickle (dill).

Hunter’s nicknames: Huntsy Bo Bunts, Bo Buntser, Buntsy Boy.

Then there’s names for both: Poodle oodle, shnoodle, Foodle Poodle, the possibilities are endless.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
What a fun thread. My spoos registered name from the breeder is Marquis Diamond Dancing Cloud Deuces Wild!
However the first day I named him Tiki (a white god in ancient South America that is now Peru).
He also gets called: snickerbottoms, tiki leaky, fumble dumble, goof ball, rumpus bumpus, etc!... and Tiker (rhymes with peeker)

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Streetcar

Oliver was never registered by his first family, and I found his breeder wrote in all their information on the back of the form, so I can't register him, though it was a couple years before I actually turned the darn form over and saw that.
Thanks for reminding me about registering Rocky. The breeder sold him as a Toy but I'm pretty sure he's a Miniature - he's 8.5 lbs at 9 months and about 10 inches at his withers.

I'll have to contact AKC to find out how to register him properly ie Toy or Miniature

1 - 20 of 26 Posts