Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, pick day finally came. I picked a gorgeous black standard boy. He really is a cutie. This is my first Spoo so Im in the dark a little. The breeder mentioned that he weighed 6 lbs at 8 weeks and that really meant nothing to me until my neurosis kicked in and I started Googling. From what i see now, most Spoos at this age are in the 10 pound range. His Dam is listed at 24" tall and 48 Lbs. His Sire is listed at 50 lbs, and I cant find his height.
What are your thoughts on this? Is he going to be grossly undersized. Could there be a growth spirt that would nulify all of this? Do you think he will grow to be at least the height of his Dam? Uggghhh this is all so stressful !

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I think lots of things can change as they grow. The largest can end up being smaller and vice versa. If you are dealing with a reputable breeder they usually have a pretty good idea. I would just tell her them you thought about what she said weight wise and don't understand what it means in overall size,from her experience will he bel smaller or larger than his sire. I got my male at 9 weeks and he weighed 13.9 . He is now 20 months and weighs between 53-60 labs.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
6 pounds is certainly smaller than average, but I think it is within a normal range. My girl Cammie was 7 pounds at 10 weeks. I don't have an 8 week weight for her, but my guess is that it was around 6 pounds or maybe less. Cammie is a small standard -- about 35 pounds as an adult. I love this size!

My guess is that everything is just fine, but I would ask the breeder about the size and see what she says. Is your pup significantly smaller than other puppies in the litter? Was it a large litter?

·
Premium Member
23,194 Posts
Lily weighed about 8 pounds at 8 weeks. Your pup might be on the small side now, but just like little humans each will grow at their own rate with some being tall as toddlers and others not. Don't get crazy. If you picked this pup because you liked his personality then you will both be fine together.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Don't worry about it. See what the weights of the rest of the litter look like. If he's within the range of the others, then you can expect him to get around the size of his parents. If he is a bit smaller, there's nothing wrong with that. Small spoos can be advantageous in many respects!

·
Premium Member
4,111 Posts
You really cannot get the idea of the size your standard will end up. My pups parents were both about 60-65 lbs. My Asta ended up at 50 lbs, just the right size for me. He for sure was sporadic in his weight gain. Some weeks it seemed he stayed the same weight, others he would shoot up in growths spurts. And they can get kinda funny looking at times. I remember when Asta was all legs and it took quite a while till the body matched the legs. Go with the flow and no worries. He will grow up to be your loving buddy no matter his size.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thank you everyone for your replies ! I can't figure out how to reply to each of you individually. (Im new to forums)

Im relaxing about it all now ! I get to go pick up Keith in the morning and I couldn't be happier ! Your comments on here have really helped. I'll try to post a pic of the new puppy when I get a chance. everyone likes puppy pictures right?!?!?

Enjoy your weekend !
Christopher

·
Registered
389 Posts
Congratulations! We can't wait to see pictures.

Your post made me think of the day I was picked by this ornery little runt puppy that was far smaller than her litter mates. She beat up her siblings & climbed me like a tree until I helped her up to my face. She looked me in the eye, licked my face, tucked her face in my neck, & promptly went to sleep. She was the runt, the pup nobody wanted (including me but she was so spunky & so determined). We were together every day until she died 12 years later. She was a full 85 pounds & that was solid muscle which was appropriate for her gender & breed. Perfectly healthy & strong.

I have my first Standard Poodle pup, Mr. Layne. This forum is a great resource.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts