Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guy,
Ginger broke her leg yesterday. She went to the bathroom before she broke it, but she hasn’t went since then. I take her out and put her on the grass every hour or so, except during the night and she won’t go. I’m not sure if it’s dehydration or she just doesn’t like being on the grass with the cast. Also, I got pain meds from the vet that come in a syringe, but it’s for giving through the mouth, so I’ve been using an empty one to give her water since she isn’t drinking on her own.

If anyone has any advice, I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The meds make her drowsy, so she’s been sleeping pretty much the whole time, unless I wake her up for a bathroom break or more pain killers.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22,879 Posts
Oh gee whiz, that is too bad! Poor Ginger. Since this just happened I think you can reasonably assume she is just upset and off her routines. She may not feel comfortable trying to arrange her posture to pee. Relatedly Javelin had to have sutures in his "armpit" almost two years ago and he needed a cone. Since I didn't have one I got one from the vet. He was so horrified by it he wouldn't eat or drink and seemed to forget how to pee as well. Once I got a donut collar and replaced the vet cone with it he was fine.

Which leg did she break and what is the pain medication? Without knowing what the medication is there is no way to say anything about what its side effects might be.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh gee whiz, that is too bad! Poor Ginger. Since this just happened I think you can reasonably assume she is just upset and off her routines. She may not feel comfortable trying to arrange her posture to pee. Relatedly Javelin had to have sutures in his "armpit" almost two years ago and he needed a cone. Since I didn't have one I got one from the vet. He was so horrified by it he wouldn't eat or drink and seemed to forget how to pee as well. Once I got a donut collar and replaced the vet cone with it he was fine.

Which leg did she break and what is the pain medication? Without knowing what the medication is there is no way to say anything about what its side effects might be.
It’s Buprenex Oral and Rimadyl. I don’t know what any of the side effets are, but I don’t have anything else I can give her, and it was the vet who prescribed them, so I hope it won’t do anything to her.

She broke her front right paw, somewhere above the wrist. I’m not sure where because some other dog was brought in and they needed to take care of it, so I didn’t get to see the X-rays. Im going to be going back to see them later sometime.

You said you had to change the collar for Javelin so he would go to the bathroom. I don’t think I have that option. Do you think she will get used to it? I just don’t like think of her being so uncomfortable. It’s almost been 24 hours since last time se went to the bathroom.

·
Premium Member
22,879 Posts
Here is a link to info on side effects for Rimadyl. https://canna-pet.com/side-effects-rimadyl-dogs/ Keep in mind that this is a site that is selling CBD for pain management, so they have a bias.

Here is a link on Bupronex side effects. Be mindful that this is an opioid and potentially addictive. I hope the vet gave you instructions on tapering that down pretty quickly. https://www.drugs.com/sfx/buprenorphine-side-effects.html

The combination of those two drugs will certainly leave Ginger drowsy and probably make her constipated which may in turn make her inappetant.

I see that she isn't wearing a cone. For the extent of how that leg is wrapped I doubt she needs one since there isn't anything she can do to her injury unless she eats through all of that material (which she is very unlikely to do). Javelin had to have a cone to prevent him from pulling out his sutures which were not covered.

·
Registered
7,099 Posts
Poor Ginger - I hope it heals quickly.

My daughter's dog a few weeks ago had an accident - she was in the pond and stepped on a stick that punctured a large vein in her front leg and had to have surgery to have the vein sutured (which involved cutting open the leg to find the vein). Her dog wouldn't pee or poop for several days. She took her dog back to the vet I think two days after the surgery and the dog finally peed outside the vet's office.

I would call your vet and ask them how long is it acceptable for Ginger to hold her pee/poop and set up a plan on what to do if she hasn't by that time. I think it's pretty common - between the medication, the pain, the trauma etc.

BTW, my daughter bought baby socks and cut the foot off and used that to cover and protect the wound/bandage. In the end she didn't need to use a cone because the sock was enough.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much. I really appreciate your help. Ginger is not wearing a collar because she isn’t touching the cast. She licked it once, but hasn’t bothered with it since.

About the meds. Yes we will be weaning off them as soon as possible. I think I was only given enough to last until Monday which is enough time to research and find a better alternative for the pain.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Poor Ginger - I hope it heals quickly.

My daughter's dog a few weeks ago had an accident - she was in the pond and stepped on a stick that punctured a large vein in her front leg and had to have surgery to have the vein sutured (which involved cutting open the leg to find the vein). Her dog wouldn't pee or poop for several days. She took her dog back to the vet I think two days after the surgery and the dog finally peed outside the vet's office.

I would call your vet and ask them how long is it acceptable for Ginger to hold her pee/poop and set up a plan on what to do if she hasn't by that time. I think it's pretty common - between the medication, the pain, the trauma etc.

BTW, my daughter bought baby socks and cut the foot off and used that to cover and protect the wound/bandage. In the end she didn't need to use a cone because the sock was enough.
Thank you. I don’t think Ginger is going to need surgery. I don’t know yet for sure, but I really hope not. Thank you for your advice, I will definitely look into how long she can go.

·
Registered
12,221 Posts
When Sophy was first on meloxicam for back pain I got into a total panic because she didn't pee for 24 hours. I phoned the vets, who said that if it was a serious problem it would be very obvious, and if she was eating she was probably fine, but if I was anxious to bring her in - she did a large puddle on the way to the car. After that I added water to her food and gave her dilute chicken stock (home made and salt free) to ensure she drank enough, and she quickly got back into more regular habits.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
My Bella not from pain but from snow will go 3 days with out peeing, the vet said she will go when she can't hold it anymore, and she did, and this is everytime it snows and she cannot get to the back of the yard. I have a big spaced shoveled out but she will not use it

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My Bella not from pain but from snow will go 3 days with out peeing, the vet said she will go when she can't hold it anymore, and she did, and this is everytime it snows and she cannot get to the back of the yard. I have a big spaced shoveled out but she will not use it
Ok, thank you. I wasn’t sure how long she would be able to hold it for. Ginger is mostly laying on her side, so if she goes, it will be all over herself, and I don’t think she would enjoy that.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,020 Posts
Ginger looks really bad. I am sorry for her, and for you. As to your titled question, I found this by the FDA:

Get the Facts about Pain Relievers for Pets

It didn't mention constipation or dehydration, however. People on certain pain meds or street drugs do have issues with constipation, however, so depending on the medicine, your dog might too.

How to Rehydrate a Sick Dog

Excerpt:

"Increase your dog’s hydration with electrolyte supplements. Give her some flavorless Pedialyte, which is made for children, but is also suitable for dogs. Mix the supplement with your dog’s water to help restore essential electrolytes and minerals lost while being sick.

Give your dog some chicken or beef bouillon broth several times a day. The hearty flavors will appeal to your dog’s sense of smell and will entice her to drink. The broth will not only provide her with nutritional value, but it will also help rehydrate her body.

Offer your dog small amounts of ice chips to keep her hydrated. Sometimes dogs can tolerate ice chips better than water when they are sick. Give her ice chips several times throughout the day to help improve her hydration...

And from PetMD, Dehydration and Water Needs in Dogs

..."You may be able to detect dehydration at home by gently lifting the skin on the back of your dog’s neck or between the shoulder blades-unless your dog is seriously overweight or very thin, it should immediately return to a normal position. If he is lacking in fluids, the lifted skin may not quickly return to normal. Often, however, the signs of dehydration are not obvious, and only a veterinarian can provide proper diagnosis and treatment...

..."Your vet can also administer intravenous or subcutaneous fluids..."

What I highlighted in bold is very serious. Get help asap.

A subcutaneous fluid injection very simple: the vet injects fluid under her skin around the nape of her neck, and it is slowly absorbed in her body over the next 24 hours. This should be less expensive too.

Good luck.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ginger looks really bad. I am sorry for her, and for you. As to your titled question, I found this by the FDA:

Get the Facts about Pain Relievers for Pets

It didn't mention constipation or dehydration, however. People on certain pain meds or street drugs do have issues with constipation, however, so depending on the medicine, your dog might too.

How to Rehydrate a Sick Dog

Excerpt:

"Increase your dog’s hydration with electrolyte supplements. Give her some flavorless Pedialyte, which is made for children, but is also suitable for dogs. Mix the supplement with your dog’s water to help restore essential electrolytes and minerals lost while being sick.

Give your dog some chicken or beef bouillon broth several times a day. The hearty flavors will appeal to your dog’s sense of smell and will entice her to drink. The broth will not only provide her with nutritional value, but it will also help rehydrate her body.

Offer your dog small amounts of ice chips to keep her hydrated. Sometimes dogs can tolerate ice chips better than water when they are sick. Give her ice chips several times throughout the day to help improve her hydration...

And from PetMD, Dehydration and Water Needs in Dogs

..."You may be able to detect dehydration at home by gently lifting the skin on the back of your dog’s neck or between the shoulder blades-unless your dog is seriously overweight or very thin, it should immediately return to a normal position. If he is lacking in fluids, the lifted skin may not quickly return to normal. Often, however, the signs of dehydration are not obvious, and only a veterinarian can provide proper diagnosis and treatment...

..."Your vet can also administer intravenous or subcutaneous fluids..."

What I highlighted in bold is very serious. Get help asap.

A subcutaneous fluid injection very simple: the vet injects fluid under her skin around the nape of her neck, and it is slowly absorbed in her body over the next 24 hours. This should be less expensive too.

Good luck.
Thank you. I really appreciate your help. Ginger is not dehydrated, we are making sure she is drinking plenty of water. I guess I stated my question wrong. She’s drinking plenty, but she’s not peeing it out.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I'm so sorry about Ginger's injury. Bupronex is a wonderful pain medication, and it's very very effective. I had to give it to my late cat after his PU surgery, which is a major operation, and it was extremely helpful to him. Don't be scared of it, just work with your vet to tailor use as needed :). Like other opioid medications, it may affect her digestive tract somewhat. You might consider adding a spoon of pumpkin to her food while she's taking the Bupronex.

·
Registered
12,221 Posts
Such a relief when things begin to get back to normal! I hope she has a steady and uneventful recovery.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Just read thru all the posts and I'm sorry Ginger broke her leg, but see she is already improving. My neighbor has a small rescue poodle that had severe breaks in her leg and required a plate. Shelter was going to amputate before rescue took over. They weren't sure how she would do but she is great now. Limped for a week or two and is now normal running jumping etc. I'm sure Ginger will be up and about quickly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts