Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new here. First I do own a toy poodle about to be 5 months old her name is Lucy! I do have a question. I recently purchased a toy poodle puppy and I named her olive. Love her regardless of what she is, but I wanted opinions on wether she looks like a toy poodle to other people familiar with the breed. Unfortunately the lady I got her from was what I feel to be not forthcoming with truthful information, but regardless olive will now live a very long healthy and spoiled life. Please feel free to let me know your thoughts!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Most importantly she’s super cute! Love a black dog and her name! First thot was toy poodle. U could get her tested if wanna know fer sure. Like u said if her breeder wasnt the greatest may be her lines aren’t as well. OOOH so cute!

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I think she is probably a toy poodle, and probably a blue. But it is very hard to tell because poodle mixes can often look like poodles. And often when poodles are not from good breeders they don't always have normal poodle conformation.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
She looks like a toy poodle to me, not a mix. She might have shorter legs than the standard asks for, but since the breeder isn’t the greatest as you say, deviance from the standard is to be expected.

It’s hard to tell from just one picture though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! I know it’s hard to tell from just these two pics. She just lacks the same characteristics of my Lucy which makes me question it. Her hair is not really thick, and as you have noticed her little legs aren’t very long. The last pic is Lucy.

·
Premium Member
4,570 Posts
What a cutie - I am sure you both are loving.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Her legs will look longer if the fur is cut short.

I always think our pup looks much taller with a short haircut. (No, it does not work on humans.)

·
Super Moderator
3,956 Posts
Hi Ansullivan, welcome to PF! Olive looks very sweet and cuddly.

About testing. I recommend the Embark Breed & Health Kit for $149. I'm 99.9% sure she's pure poodle, but the Embark kit with the Health component tests for genetic conditions that cause short legs. Some never are problematic, others are as the dog gets older and may need special care.

It's also possible her body shape is the result of breeding miniature poodles with toy poodles in the ancestry which could be why her legs are not closely proportional to her head & body. You didn't mention her exact age, but also know that very young poodle pups have short legs that catch up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello,

I am new here. First I do own a toy poodle about to be 5 months old her name is Lucy! I do have a question. I recently purchased a toy poodle puppy and I named her olive. Love her regardless of what she is, but I wanted opinions on wether she looks like a toy poodle to other people familiar with the breed. Unfortunately the lady I got her from was what I feel to be not forthcoming with truthful information, but regardless olive will now live a very long healthy and spoiled life. Please feel free to let me know your thoughts! View attachment 468195 View attachment 468196
Any updates on Olive? How is this sweetie doing? Having the same issue, I was told mine was a minature poo mixed with Havanese but she’s so small I think she might be a toy? 10 weeks and 4.2 lbs? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello! Your pup is beautiful! Olive is great! Come to find out she is not 100% poodle which I kinda knew deep down, but she is the sweetest pup ever! I got her DNA tested with embark. She is mainly poodle but has other breeds as well! Here is an updated photo of my girl!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Oh how adorable is she!!!!!! She for sure has poodle in her but I def can see something else, regardless, we love our mix breeds! Best of luck!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts