Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! My moyen poodle, George, is 8 months, and we are so in love with him! We live in Minnesota ... so, we can get some crazy cold temperatures here. Today, the temperature is about 12 degrees farenheit. My question is: does my poodle need to wear a sweater when it's below freezing? He doesn't seem to act too cold, but I'm worried as the temperatures continue to drop. We like to go for two walks a day, at least one mile each.

I would love any opinions and thoughts! Thank you!

·
Premium Member
2,113 Posts
Just keep an eye on him and see if he gets cold. My dogs didn't need clothing for warmth in Wisconsin until they got older. However, I did have coats to keep them dry. I also didn't use boots.

·
Premium Member
23,790 Posts
I do have turnout coats and snow suits for the poodles and they both generally don't like wearing them. Be careful about feet though. And generally keep an eye on how your dog is acting.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Yup! Minnesota winters can be brutal. I totally agree with lily that you should keep an eye on how your dog acts. If your dog seems cold or doesn’t want to stay out, definitely put on the winter gear. I’m lucky in that Bobby is ok with the winter gear. He doesn’t jump for joy when the boots come out but once they are on and we are outside it’s all good. I do think boots are a definite necessity for the Minnesota winters, especially if you do pavement or road walking as you are also dealing with salt and ice. If you live out in the country and don’t have to worry about that then boots may not be as important.

While we can all recognize the dangerous way below zero stuff the milder winter temps can leave one guessing a bit and some dogs tolerate cold better than others. We generally put a light coat on our Bobby (who is a Spoo) when it starts dipping in the low 20’s and if it’s windy and cold, in the low 30’s. It also depends on the dog’s coat length as well. Observe your pup and I think you will get the hang of when to wear a sweater or coat. We walk Bobby even when it’s super cold but always recognizing we definitely do not walk as far when it’s way below zero. Now with that being said, when it does get that cold we definitely put on the boots and we have a super heavy duty winter coat and a scarf for him for that kind of weather and the walks are short. He lets us know when the boots need to go on as he will start lifting his paws, generally once it gets in the low teens. Definitely it boils down to reading your dog, reading the weather conditions and trusting your common sense.

·
Super Moderator
2,031 Posts
My guys were mostly fine running around nekkid up until around age 7. I had fleece coats for them, but the only time they were happy wearing one was after their spring shave down each March. As they got older they seemed less resilient on windy days and wet days. At that point I bought each one a windproof lightly lined rain jacket. They mostly didn't need the insulation - their hair gave them enough insulation - but the jacket kept the wind and wet from penetrating down to the skin.

·
Super Moderator
7,103 Posts
Normie wears a jacket or sweater when it's below 30. It's my excuse to see him dressed up.

If he'd only tolerate a beret....
This old (slightly photoshopped lol) photo of Gracie still cracks me up...

@meggapegga, in addition to gear for warmth, something to consider is salty roads and sidewalks. This was Gracie's nemesis when we lived in a colder climate. We managed the effects with Pawz booties. They're technically disposable, but she could use the same pair for a whole season.

·
Registered
228 Posts
My near senior dog gets cold easy, he shivers if its below 40 F outside, so he wears a sweater. It depends on your dog, but I dont see a sweater hurting anything

·
Registered
18 Posts
My two spoos run around without anything most of the time. We live out in the country in northern MN. The only time they wear jackets or boots is when it is really cold, it is snowing, or they start shivering. I keep their coats clipped pretty short, but they are young and pretty active, so they don't shiver often.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have onesies and coats for my dog. I live in Canada and when it goes below 7 or 40 for you guys in the states I find she needs one. We are usually out for a few hours a day so a jacket and shoes when it snows here are a must. We use the Mike Luks shoe brand to keep the cold, salt and snowballs from accumulating on her hair.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts