Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Let me start by saying I'm a total newbie and this is my first poodle!

I just took my 4 1/2 month old standard to the groomers (for his 2nd cut) and she suggested a #4 trim all over. While his coat feels and looks like crushed velvet (chocolate brown), he looks scrawny and gangly. His legs especially look scrawny and boney - not very dignified. Is this a normal cut for a puppy? I can understand going short for the summer but I think I would have preferred longer fur on his legs and face. His face/head looks scrawny to. Maybe I'm just not used to it but he just doesn't look like any poodle pictures I've seen. I asked the groomer about leaving his face longer and she said it would look funny.

I saw the post about Vega's lamb trim and it looks beautiful. My puppy's fur is not as fluffy - maybe because I like to let him air dry - his fur looks crimped when it gets long.

Anyway, so does it sound like my groomer knows what she's doing or should I find someone else?

Thanks for your insight!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Amber- welcome to the forum and congrats on your new baby!

I had the exact same issue as you a few weeks ago... I was mortified by what they did to my Snoops! I think my thread is still floating around in the "grooming" section if you want to read it, many people had some great grooming advice and tips... :)

On a positive note, their hair really truly does grow back quickly! I didn't believe it myself but it's true. Snoops is quickly getting back to his "teddy bear" status... Hooray!

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I'm glad you like Vega's trim I work in a dog grooming salon and I did it myself!

While a 3 and 4 blade is common to use on a poodle especially for shorter, easier to manage cuts I always ask the owner if they are SURE they do not want their pups coat fluffy.

Fluffy to a groomer is a lot different than fluffy to the dogs owner. When a groomer thinks shaved they think of like lab length coat or like clean face on a poodle type short, however if I were to take a 4 blade to someones standard puppy they might be like "oh my why did you shave him" and to me it would still be considered fluffy...

With that said...

I prefer to leave puppies with some "fluff" although with standards especially it is common to have their fur cut while they go through the strange coat change and move into their adult coat. Once that happens to Vega I plan on shaving him with a 4 or 5 all over which is fairly short for him.

I would say you should suggest (next time) that your groomer use a comb length or "snap on groom" many call it different things. Or tell them you just want a neaten up with scissors not a blade. Or, although groomers do complain about people bringing in photos I think it helps. Although we may not be able to make your pet look like a show dog photograph bringing one in showing kind of what you're looking for does help and I encourage it with my customers.

I'm sorry you are unhappy with your groom, I would love to see pictures! I would also suggest staying with the SAME groomer even though you might be a bit unhappy with this groom.

Groomers usually keep record of what was done to the dog each time so if you go back to the same person they will know what you DONT like and it should improve from there. Also, I believe it is very important for a dog groomer and the pet to have a relationship and a good bond with one another. The more you trust your groomer the happier your dog will end up being during the process.

Oh, and just for reference this is my dog Vega after his first groom. I used a "1 snap" length on him.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I personally dislike the same length all over but some pay top dollar for it.
I like the lamb and have casey in it and Mandy growing out from bikini to lamb

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice. I guess I didn't really tell her what I wanted because I had no idea. Hey, at least now I know what I don't want! I just couldn't figure that anyone would think that looked good. But maybe I'll give her another chance.
I should take some pictures... I was just too embarassed to take a picture of him like that! Cuddleparty, I read your thread about Snoops - I can't believe that one place actually cut him! At least this lady is nice and gentle - of course I stay to watch because I am protective of him. Snoops is soooo cute. At least his head was still fluffy. And I know what you mean - if I wasn't there watching I would swear she gave me a different dog! I am sorry he was so traumatized by the grooming - something must have happened while he was there.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I don't mind owners watching but if they have glass or a place you can watch without your dog knowing about it maybe try to do that. Especially with puppies they act so much better once they don't see mom or dad and think they are there to save them from the experience.

It's also good for the puppy to learn that it's a safe place and that it doesn't have to be scary. I can completely understand your concerns though because I have seen groomers yell and sometimes in my opinion be too rough with dogs. If I have to be rough with a dog to groom it I send the dog home and tell the owner I cannot groom the dog safely because i'm not going to wrestle with a dog to give them a haircut, it's too stressful for me and the dog i'm grooming so i see no reason for dog groomers to mistreat animals and it angers me when I hear of such a case.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I personally dislike the same length all over but some pay top dollar for it.
I like the lamb and have casey in it and Mandy growing out from bikini to lamb
I'm with you, It's actualy pretty rare for me to even do the same length all over, even on breeds like shihtzus and maltese. I usualy do a lamb if the owner wants a shorter poodle style, though I blend the legs really really well in those cases. With things like shihtzus I scissor the legs by hand so they appear about the same length but arent. I find that same length all over on poodles, especialy little ones, results in the "chicken leg" look. They have scrawny chicken legs lol.

Hope you're baby's hair grows out quickly and you can have the groomer reset the style to something like a lamb that you'll like better.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm with you, It's actualy pretty rare for me to even do the same length all over, even on breeds like shihtzus and maltese. I usualy do a lamb if the owner wants a shorter poodle style, though I blend the legs really really well in those cases. With things like shihtzus I scissor the legs by hand so they appear about the same length but arent. I find that same length all over on poodles, especialy little ones, results in the "chicken leg" look. They have scrawny chicken legs lol.
That's why I was wondering if she knew what she was doing. Should I give her a second chance and ask her to do a lamb trim? At least I know she wouldn't mistreat him.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pictures

OK, here are some pictures of my little boy, Pasta - before and after. Tell me honestly, what would you think?
(Especially notice the bald spot on his hind "knees" in the last picture.)
Thanks again.

Attachments

·
Registered
646 Posts
oh my gosh I love him He looks like he will be a tall boy.
I personally would have been livid and refused to pay Where did you get him done?

Call back tell them how upset you are especially about the bald spot.
I bought clippers and learned to do them myself only because with 2 at 80-120 a dog even though Mandy is only just over 30 lbs she is still a standard and that is what they charge I could never afford 2.

Yes I have made Casey a mess a time or 2 but it was my fault and I didn't pay.
YES it grows back so in 4 weeks you can take him in a get the start of a lamb or just let him get fuzzy and do his face feet and fanny area.
I enjoy doing it myself I got a decent set of clippers for a hundred ( one groom cost)
got some scissors and a blade another time ( 80 bucks) Bought a grooming arm 30 bucks Got some blades buy 2 get one free another time so in a year have spent about 300 on grooming stuff but I would have spent more then that on grooms and just buy as I go along.

I made a grooming table from old stuff around house and my next major purchase will be a dryer for now I just use a shop vac that blows that I bought only for that reason so nobody touches it. It is a small shop vac anyways and basically useless for anything else LOL it does the job and drys them I don't get a perfect straight top knot and ears but they look decent to me.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
That's why I was wondering if she knew what she was doing. Should I give her a second chance and ask her to do a lamb trim? At least I know she wouldn't mistreat him.

You know I would give her a second chance, most definitly I would. If you walked in and asked for her to clip your dog short or shortish all over then she did exactly what you asked her to do and did a decent enough job at it.

The thing is you have to be super specific on what you want, some groomers just arent good at reading between the lines of what you say VS what you really mean. I make my clients talk to me and don't let them walk out the door after saying things like "whatever you think looks good' or "puppy cut" or "short" or "you're the pro you tel me what to get". I consider myself blessed with that talent and I thank the dog gods every night for bestowing it on me. I do have clients though that for all my talents I cannot make happy because the simply don't know how to ask me for what they want and my best guess is sometimes off. It's frustrating to say the least when you do what they asked you after having to spend 10 minutes dragging it out of them and they still aren't happy LoL.

If it's ok with Aiden print out some pictures she's posted of Vega's reccent lamb trim or look it up online if you need larger pics - sometimes it's easier to see the clips on lighter colored dogs. Take them with you to your next grooming appt. and tell your groomer I want a lamb clip like THIS and show the picture. Pictures sometimes annoy groomers but I for one LOVE it when clients bring them in, I keep them when I can and put them in their file for future reff.

Tell the groomer that Aiden used a #3 blade and you would like either that or a #4 on the body. (a#4 is much more common a blade, I actualy dont personaly know any groomer that even own a #3, myself included) You want the legs blended at the tops, no saddle bags or bulky shoulders, and you want a nice clean look. You understand that this is puppy hair and therefor much more difficult to scissor and will be ok with the more natural unscissored to very lightly scissored looking legs until your dog's coat changes and they can be scuplted more. Since the legs are so short now be sure to mention that you also understand that they will have to grow out a bit for the desired look to be achieved and are willing to wait for that so long as the correct pattern is clipped on the body.

·
Registered
335 Posts
He is so pretty (handsome!)-looks like he will be a lovely shade of silver. May I ask what breeder he is from?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the advice Wonderpup.

Hi Mandi, he is actually chocolate brown - might be hard to tell from the pictures. I got him from Bijou Poodles in Brantford, Ontario. I have been very happy with her (the breeder).

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Thanks for the advice Wonderpup.

Hi Mandi, he is actually chocolate brown - might be hard to tell from the pictures. I got him from Bijou Poodles in Brantford, Ontario. I have been very happy with her (the breeder).
Hi Amber...
I was looking through grooming threads and came across this post... just curious to know if your Bijou pup held his color... someone thought he was silver? has he stayed dark brown?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
She didn't hurt or mistreat your dog so I would say stick with the same groomer. Sometimes with switching groomers just because you don't like the clip due to a misunderstanding it can result in the same exact thing happening all over again.

Most grooming shops keep a client record of what they have done to your dog and so when you go back you can say "Oh well I want it longer on his legs then last time" etc... and the groomer can eventually get the feel for what it is you want!

It might take 2 grooms it might take 6 but at least this way you can figure out what makes you both happy!

He's a handsome boy! I do like the look of a poodle shaved all over. It looks sporty to me! That's how I have Vega right now although im growing it out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hello,
Yes, he had stayed dark brown - actually he has red highlights from the sun, which looks kindof cool, I think. He's only 7 months now though. He's a big boy, most people are surprised he's only 7 months as he looks like a full grown dog!

I did end up changing groomers since I found another great one in the area and the new one is very nice and definately knows what she's doing.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Hello,
Yes, he had stayed dark brown - actually he has red highlights from the sun, which looks kindof cool, I think. He's only 7 months now though. He's a big boy, most people are surprised he's only 7 months as he looks like a full grown dog!

I did end up changing groomers since I found another great one in the area and the new one is very nice and definately knows what she's doing.
Awe, that's awesome!! You need to post some updated pics! I love the browns!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
OK, here are some pictures of my little boy, Pasta - before and after. Tell me honestly, what would you think?
(Especially notice the bald spot on his hind "knees" in the last picture.)
Thanks again.
I'm sorry, but that is horrible! Shame on that groomer! It looks like they just took a #4 and shaved the whole dog. The darn front legs aren't even straight.

On Sabrina and Gracy I like to do what I call a modified Town and Country. I shave the torso up to the withers with a #4. Then I scissor in the neck, topknot, and legs, leaving them fuller but with a nice transition from the body (a traditional T&C leave the legs/shoulders/hips very full so the dog looks like it is wearing football pads.... I like this on a Mini, but not on a Standard).

I have Izze in a Miami or what some call a bikini where she is shaved totally but she has full "bracelets" at the ankles, full top knot and tail.

Another thing that bugs me about a lot of groomers is that I think they shave too far up the tail. If the tail is left full, I think you should shave no more than 2 finger widths. Otherwise your poodle ends up with a Dr. Sues tail.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts