Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for firming up stools?? (I didn't want to type the word "stools" in the title! LOL!) I recently switched Cricket & Clover's food, and we finally found something that they both love and devour....but.....it's making both their stools pretty soft. :doh: Not liquidy or anything, but soft. I'm hoping they adjust to it, and I know it can take some time, but I am hoping to firm up their stools, because they are a mess to clean up! I have heard canned pumpkin works for constipation and loose stools.....is this true? What else works? Thanks!!:)

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yes it does work and it's still healthy for them. (xtra fiber... some kibbles don't have enough fiber either... I like to see at least 3%)
But time to adjust to the new food can make a difference too.

Be sure it's plain canned pumpkin... not the kind 'ready for a pie' type mix with seasonings.

Karen

·
Registered
553 Posts
Yes, it does work for constipation also. We had a problem with Gorky having either soft stools or constipation. It should be organic canned pumpkin. I hope it works for you. You can use ground flax seeds for constipation also.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Canned pumpkin works great, but you might want to consider how much your feeding. To much food can make them have some soft stool, so if you know how much they NEED, then you can adjust the amount you are giving them and that should help as well.

Check the kcals of the food you were feeding and compare it to what you are feeding now to see if perhaps this could be the culprit. Some foods say, for example, 350kcals/cup and are using a 4oz measure for a cup while others will say 350kcals/cup and are using a different measure. It depends on the size of the kibbles and the weight of them that determines how MUCH is in a cup.

Now, if you old food had (hypothetically) 350kcals/cup and the new food has 400kcals/cup it *could* lead to over feeding which leads to soft stool or diarrhea.

There is a formula to determine your dogs ACTUAL caloric needs instead of just taking the bags recommendations for granted.

You can also add some yogurt during the transition which will help with the gut flora.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Be sure it's plain canned pumpkin... not the kind 'ready for a pie' type mix with seasonings.
This doesn't have anything to do with stool.. but with stew! My mom made this pumpkin soup once, I was really excited to eat it since I love pumpkin soup.. but she had accidentally bought the wrong kind of pumpkin, so we had.. pumpkin pie soup.. Not as appetizing!

Oh, quick question, would canned pumpkin help with firming people stool too? o_o Sorry if that's an odd thing to ask..

·
Registered
5 Posts
pumpkin firms too

Canned pumpkin is an awesome add to firm up poos. I never know what to do with the rest of the can though so I have some Honest Kitchen, Perfect Form on hand. It has pumpkin, slippery elm, papaya... and other stuff. It's nice because I only use a little when I need it and I don't have to throw away a can of pumpkin!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Canned pumpkin is an awesome add to firm up poos. I never know what to do with the rest of the can though so I have some Honest Kitchen, Perfect Form on hand. It has pumpkin, slippery elm, papaya... and other stuff. It's nice because I only use a little when I need it and I don't have to throw away a can of pumpkin!

Just spoon your pumpkin in an ice tray! Pop them out when frozen and put in a zip lock freezer bag. The size of the cube is the perfect "dose" and you'll always have some on hand. Slippery elm is great for diarrhea that is caused by bacteria and it's also great for dogs with a cough (or people for that matter). Papaya has certain enzymes that aid in digestion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts