Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and I mean more or less, not perfectly. There is no one perfect dog and there will always be compromises with our beloved furry friends :)
I've mentioned in previous posts that I'm interested in a Miniature Poodle for down the road and received some good feedback. I take finding the right fit seriously, and started taking notes in my phone awhile back of what I love in dogs, and things I don't love so much if I'm 100% honest with myself.
It then occurred to me that this forum is an incredible resource for feedback! So if any mpoo experts out there want to weigh in on my (lengthy) list, I'd love it! Here goes:
What I love in dogs:
-Personality
-Goofy, makes me laugh
-Intelligent
-Warm & affectionate, but able to be independent too
-Playful & fun
-Sociable & friendly (aloof OK as long as stable with kids & strangers)
-Balanced energy (spirited and energetic at play/outdoors but not bouncing off the walls inside)
-Therapy dog nature, bombproof
-Loyal
-Eager to please
-Regal
-Trustworthy and emotionally stable when we're not at home (we're at home most of the time though)
-"Human"
-Big dog in small package?

Not so in love with:
-"Yappy and snappy" (live in a condo)
-Wired (some small dogs appear like they've had too much caffeine!)
-Demanding attention every moment
-Dominant
-High strung & high drive (love the spiritedness of poodles, but like an "off button," or can miss the odd day of exercise if you're sick or whatever reason)
-High maintenance personality (don't mind high maintaince coat, etc)
-Unsociable (timid & unfriendly). #1 problem with last dog was fear aggression
-Skittishness / nervousness
-Separation anxiety
-"Small dog" trembling, do minis do this and what is it?

Activities in no order:
Companionship, obedience/mental simulation at home, walking/hiking, cuddling/chilling, be able to take anywhere (relax at my feet at a patio, walk through stores, bring to a family party with kids, etc), possible therapy certification

Yes, it's a long list and I don't expect any dog to fulfill every expectation by any means, it's just my thoughts on what I love, don't love, etc, in general.
Also when I jotted down bombproof, it was after hearing that adjective from some poodle owners here on the forum and I liked that. An experienced handler who works with show poodles suggested a retired show dog to me, because they were "bombproof". That's what I'd likely consider.
Whew long post! Thank you in advance everyone, I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
Most of what you wrote is not dependent on breed, but rather on temperament and quality of socialization and how you raise your dog. A lot of it depends on you, the owner and would apply to any breed.

Loyal, eager to please, intelligent and deeply attached to their humans are poodle traits. The miniature poodle would not shake as you describe. My toys don’t do it either unless they are very cold and/or sick.

The activities you mentioned could all fit with a poodle if you had the right dog. Therapy certification requires to pick the puppy based on specific characteristics. A small percentage of dogs have what it takes, so your search would have to be all about the right dog.

Good luck in your search !

·
Registered
440 Posts
I think a mini poodle would fit your bill. Agree on training and socializing, regardless of breed.

As long as your dog gets some exercise, like a hard run in the morning and again later in the day, he should be able to settle down indoors.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
My mini would fit the description except possibly with the exception of therapy dog. His manners are not yet relaxed enough in new situations that I think he would do well in therapy. He would be giddy with joy to be in a hospital, or meeting new people, and tends to prefer to play with people rather than be pet. We are still working on him not jumping when greeting. But he is only 1.5 years old, and may improve in this regard with age. He is more high drive and high energy than the average mini, so I am sure it does not apply to all minis.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
What I love in dogs:
-Personality
-Goofy, makes me laugh
-Intelligent
-Warm & affectionate, but able to be independent too
-Playful & fun
-Sociable & friendly (aloof OK as long as stable with kids & strangers)
-Balanced energy (spirited and energetic at play/outdoors but not bouncing off the walls inside)
-Therapy dog nature, bombproof
-Loyal
-Eager to please
-Regal
-Trustworthy and emotionally stable when we're not at home (we're at home most of the time though)
-"Human"
-Big dog in small package?

Not so in love with:
-"Yappy and snappy" (live in a condo)
-Wired (some small dogs appear like they've had too much caffeine!)
-Demanding attention every moment
-Dominant
-High strung & high drive (love the spiritedness of poodles, but like an "off button," or can miss the odd day of exercise if you're sick or whatever reason)
-High maintenance personality (don't mind high maintaince coat, etc)
-Unsociable (timid & unfriendly). #1 problem with last dog was fear aggression
-Skittishness / nervousness
-Separation anxiety
-"Small dog" trembling, do minis do this and what is it?

Activities in no order:
Companionship, obedience/mental simulation at home, walking/hiking, cuddling/chilling, be able to take anywhere (relax at my feet at a patio, walk through stores, bring to a family party with kids, etc), possible therapy certification
From your “what I love” list, everything there describes my minipoo except she’s very friendly with adults and most children. (She was trained as a therapy dog (TDI).

From your “not so in love” list i don’t think my dog does any of those. She rarely barks, only at a threatening dog. Doesn’t bark when strangers ring the door bell. She did have a problem with some textures, the sandy texture on agility equipment, slippery metal on a ramp to a floating dock, metal grates and movement on an agility teeter. We trained and she no longer has any problems.

I think only very fearful or sick dogs tremble. or maybe a cold dog? Mine has never done this.

My minipoo competes in several dog sports. She passed the exam to be a therapy dog and loved visiting nursing homes. Until COVID-19 shutdown, I took her everywhere to run errands. I get tons of compliments on how well behaved she is. I’ve trained her to be a mobility service dog, she can pick up things I might drop on the floor such as a credit card or receipt etc.

I was serious about consistent and regular training because I wanted a well behaved dog I could take anywhere. If you get a good puppy you will still need to put the training in to get a well behaved dog.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you guys for the great responses so far, it's so appreciated and helpful to me. So far so good it seems! And you're right Dechi, I was thinking too how it often comes down to the individual dog, training, and what else the owner does for and with the dog.
Raindrops, I literally just watched your Misha YouTube videos! I even had to show my husband the one demonstrating the poodle gait.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I've noticed the constant trembling with some very small dogs and was hopeful it wasn't an mpoo thing as well. I've only witnessed it with one mpoo that was being groomed, perhaps he was still chilled from the bath.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Very small breeds do it : chihuahuas and min pin come to mind. They’re not ill, it’s just how their metabolism is.
So you think it’s related not having lots of body hair? My tpoo never did this.

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
So you think it’s related not having lots of body hair? My tpoo never did this.
No, I rather think they’re just wired like that. My toys never do this either. Dogs that I’ve seen doing this are chihuahuas (pretty much all the « real » chihuahuas do it, the ones that are 2-4 pounds, like the standard states) and tiny little min pins with the stick legs. I’m sure other tiny little dogs do it as well.

I think it's their way of expressing anxiety/fear. Of course they’ll do it as well if they’re cold.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Yes, I've noticed the constant trembling with some very small dogs and was hopeful it wasn't an mpoo thing as well. I've only witnessed it with one mpoo that was being groomed, perhaps he was still chilled from the bath.
The only time Misha trembles is when he is in the tub waiting for a bath or when he's wet waiting to get dry. He tolerates the bath but does not like it. I don't know if the trembling in the tub is due to nerves or expectation of being cold! He certainly trembles from the cold when he is wet though. Glad you like the videos!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts