Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I borrowed an interesting documentary from my library called "Well Groomed". It follows several women who are involved in competition creative grooming of their poodles.

It was interesting to watch. It's clear the dogs love their owners and are very patient with grooming. I was also surprised to see their dogs swimming in ponds, playing in a barn with hay etc. I had assumed that they would keep their dogs pristine by not allowing them to get messy - but these are regular dogs when they are not on a grooming table.

Has anyone watched it?

I've had two people ask if they could borrow my minipoo for a grooming competition.

🐩

·
Registered
923 Posts
Skylar, did you say yes?

Reactions: Skylar

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Skylar, did you say yes?
No, my dog hates grooming - this would not be a fun event for her. I was tempted. One of them is someone who specializes in grooming poodles this was for the regular grooming competition, not the creative colorful one.

Reactions: Liz and Newport

·
Registered
384 Posts
I watched it earlier this year. It was very insightful, obviously these dogs are comfortable being groomed and seem to enjoy the attention they get. Diva doesn’t mind a groom but is happy when it’s over! 😄 it definitely takes a certain type of dog. It was clear these women loved their dogs, i think it’s unnecessary to groom a dog in such a way, I like abit of colour here and there but not on that level

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Vee, while I don't mind some color on a dog and I've seen some colorful, creatively groomed dogs - I really didn't like any of these patterns.They were gaudy, too busy and silly. Clearly I don't appreciate that kind of art work.

I do love what this groomer (Katrina's Pet Salon in San Leandro, CA) does. They are clever and cute, but if you removed the color from the dog, the dog would look normal. unlike the creative competition dogs. I was surprised to see her working on a cat - don't think mine would have tolerated that.

Reactions: Liz

·
Registered
230 Posts
Geeze, and I'm driving 2 1/2 hrs round trip to get Sammy's nails filed or face shaved or bum trimmed ( that's one service each trip~!). How do these dogs tolerate that? Or, should I just start benadriling my dog - suck it up baby, you're a poodle!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Vee, while I don't mind some color on a dog and I've seen some colorful, creatively groomed dogs - I really didn't like any of these patterns.They were gaudy, too busy and silly. Clearly I don't appreciate that kind of art work.

I do love what this groomer (Katrina's Pet Salon in San Leandro, CA) does. They are clever and cute, but if you removed the color from the dog, the dog would look normal. unlike the creative competition dogs. I was surprised to see her working on a cat - don't think mine would have tolerated that.

yeah that is a much nicer style of creative grooming! I love how the garaffe knows he is fabulous 😄 I would love to know how to get the colour on a black dog like that?!

I appreciate the skill involved to create what these groomers do but I’m not much for it myself

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Geeze, and I'm driving 2 1/2 hrs round trip to get Sammy's nails filed or face shaved or bum trimmed ( that's one service each trip~!). How do these dogs tolerate that? Or, should I just start benadriling my dog - suck it up baby, you're a poodle!
Daabor it’s a combination of training and dog personality. In the movie they explained that the dogs have to be very outgoing and not fearful. These creative groomers own multiple poodles. One of them has a poodle that she would never do creative grooming because with because the dog doesn’t have the right temperament. The dogs get retired from competition as they get older and their coats naturally thin with age. All the dogs love to be groomed, they happily jump up on the table and they enjoy the attention people give them. They were calm on the table. You can’t make a dog do this, the dog has to be a participant.

I’m not sure much time they are allotted during the competition. The dogs are dyed and prepped at home so that work can be done over several days. They showed one competitor dying her dog while the dogs was snoozing on the table with its head on the same pillow that I see used by people in conformation.

In some ways it is similar to the amount of time and effort owners put towards dogs competing in conformation, especially AKC with that spray up hairdo. Those dogs also spend a lot of time on a grooming table getting ready to go into the ring to compete. One of the creative groomers had a poodle shown in AKC conformation who was never dyed and had its ears and topknot banded to protect its hair. I’m guessing once she got her championship on her dog she will use it for creative grooming.

They showed one woman shaving her dog down after the show and I was surprised that the dog was mostly white, color remained mostly on the ears and topknot.

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,822 Posts
I finally watched this and found myself wanting so badly to see the POODLES under all that colour. Unlike those wild animal designs linked above, the natural poodley shape seemed to mostly be ignored in favour of sculptural elements.

I especially wanted to see Encore shaved down. What a stunning poodle! And they all had such wonderful temperaments.

This film is a real love letter to the spoo.

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I completely agree with you, I hated those “sculptural” elements. I think it part of what makes this a high level of skill competition, sculpting shapes in poodle fur in addition to design, use of color and quality of execution. Like you I prefer to see the poodle shape.

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
2,719 Posts
Not my cup of tea, but I can appreciate the groomers' love for their dogs and their art. And I'm curious about some of Angela's products.

The documentary did make me miss my groomer in Saint Louis, who was truly exceptional. Nearly every groomer I've hired bills him/herself as a former show groomer, but he really was and it showed. Mia and Zulu came home looking like a million bucks. And then I would trash their coats with hikes and swims....

·
Super Moderator
8,822 Posts
These do look like a lot of fun:

·
Super Moderator
8,822 Posts
Actually, I might have to ask Santa for these:

Or maybe the Easter Bunny!

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
2,719 Posts
That was my choice, too, Robin. If the Easter Bunny is kind, I trust you'll share photos with us!

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My daughter gave me some chalk temporary color pens- I believe I wrote a review and posted it here. I tested and found it rubs off on fabric and my hands. I can't remember the brand name, but it's a very popular brand.

If you buy a set, test before you use - you don't want to ruin furniture and clothes.

Reactions: Liz
1 - 17 of 17 Posts