Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I finally figured out how to post.

In my introduction I asked may questions concerning tail docking. I was surprised that a ban is taking place around Canada. I've been told that it has not reached Ontario or Quebec yet, but it is in the near future.
I know that it is not a provincial law and is only legislated through the Vets Association.

My problem with this is that for my last two litters I have had my vet do my tails and dews. I getting to that age when I need a little help,, I'm in no way ready to throw in the towel,.

Our vet has been with us for years and has always supported us in every way. I can't believe that I will not be able to ask my own vet for help should this ban continue.
Maybe I should move to the US. Doctor says that warmer weather is just what I need. NO more winters.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Lol, you haven't been to Utah then, we had snow two days ago! It's still cold outside! I hate it! I'm SO done with winter!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/8/stop-the-canadian-veterinary-medical-association-in-

This is from my first posting in my introduction. Another lady posted something .

about NS CBS ban on cosmetic surgeries

Maybe she could post it again here so others can read it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cat declaw is not cosmetic then what is it furniture preservation

States "No member of the Nova Scotia Veterinary Medical Association shall perform cosmetic surgery on an animal for the purpose of having the animal's appearance conform to a breed standard ot tradition. Cosmetic surgery is defined as non-therapeutic surgical procedures, which alter the appearance of an animal for purely cosmetic purposes. Surgeries due to injury of for reasons of health are not considered to be cosmetic surgery.

Examples of cosmetic procedures include:

Tail docking in the equine species,
tail docking in the bovine species,
tail docking in the canine species,
tail docking in newborn puppies,
dewclaw removal in newborn puppies,
tail alteration (nicking/setting) in the equine species,
ear cropping,
and onychectomy (dewclaw) in species other than the domestic cat.

This legislative amendment will come into effect on April 1, 2010 with a 6 month implementation period. Therefore, members wil be given until October 1, 2010 to implement the education period of the Legislation, after which time the Legislative amendment will be deemed to be enforceable."

This is what i found if its in NovaS. PEI, NewBrunswick,

My only other thoughts is that if the ban is moving across Canada then Ontario and Quebec will be next/

·
Super Moderator
1,504 Posts
Yeah, Marian, a lot of draft horse breeds have traditionally had docked tails. There was originally a practical reason for it; a pulling horse could get its tail caught in the harness or on the bridle of the horse behind it. Uncomfortable for the horse and possibly very unsafe for bystanders if an entangled horse freaked out about the situation.

Dewclaws on cats, though? That's a new one on me. Other than polydactyl cats with deformed claws, I've never heard of anyone removing just the dewclaws from a cat.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dewclaws on cats, though? That's a new one on me. Other than polydactyl cats with deformed claws, I've never heard of anyone removing just the dewclaws from a cat.[/QUOTE]
I think i ment declawing cats not dewclaws sorry fingers are getting tired. Have to get grandson to teach me that computer shorthand.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
That's weird that declawing cats is allowed. I think it's a horrible practice and much, much worse than dewclaw removal or tail docking.

As for the horses, I always thought their tales were like hair and that you could just cut it short if you wanted it. I never really thought about it, I guess.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Why don't you get your vet to teach you how. It isn't difficult. Getting the length perfect is the trick. We bought special dew claw scissors from the vet, and use VERY sharp kitchen scissors for the tails, and they are NEVER used on anything else. We buy silver nitrate sticks from the pharmacy (you have to ask for them) to cauterize all wounds and Bactine to disinfect the areas. Find a quiet, bright spot in your home to do it, and scrub everything with Lysol wipes and mist with Lysol spray. Put Mommy in her room with the rest of the pups and turn a radio on really loud so she does not hear the squeaks. Never return a puppy to her bleeding. Make sure everything is well cauterized and all bleeding has stopped. (Note: the silver nitrate stains everything and will not come out. Use latex gloves so you do not get it on your skin, wear crappy clothers, and lay the pups on old but clean towels to do the work). A lot of vets not use Parrot nail clippers for the tails. Makes sense. You would pull the tail up through the hole, decide where you want it off, and snip. They would be very sharp if they are meant for nails. If you learn how to do it, a ban won't matter to you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
its not that i don't know how

My problem with this is that for my last two litters I have had my vet do my tails and dews. I getting to that age when I need a little help,, I'm in no way ready to throw in the towel,.

Our vet has been with us for years and has always supported us in every way. I can't believe that I will not be able to ask my own vet for help should this ban continue.
Maybe I should move to the US. Doctor says that warmer weather is just what I need. NO more winters.

It's not that I do not know how its that I'm not longer capable of holding on to small objects or doing anything that requires a real steady hand.
So i rely on my faithful vet. Who has been more than happy to help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its a part of my human rights to seek certified Vet to help me perform these procedur

our human rights
We want justice for our rights being taken away as individuals, to stand up for what we believe in. As members of the community that pay for vaccines, health testing and treatment. we need to stand up for what is right against people who abuse their positions of authority and send a message that they cannot remove our rights to seek appropriate care and dominate us into changing our standards to what they think they should be. We know we are the little guy, and that the CVMA has bigger pockets than we do, but with your help, we can tell our story and bring education to the public on why it is necessary to have veterinarians be allowed to continue to offer these surgeries and help save the historical heritage and interests of welfare in each and every breed.

We appreciate your support, and could not do it without you.

Just like it is stated on this petition. So how is it that the VMA are able to do this. Its because we breeders are a small group compared to the world. There may be many different breeds that make up the canine world. Its time we all put things aside and work together. To protect our rights, and the future welfare of our breeds concerned.

If you have not signed this petition maybe you could take the time to do so now. If the animal activists can control the vets then it won't belong before they will deem us breeders animal abusers and ban us from breeding altogether. After all this is just what Peta and the BSL would want.
Please sign this petition it may be our last chance as breeders to speak up on our own behalf. \\

I'm not going to be around forever, and I would hate to think i left this world know that our beloved breed was going to be changed forever.
Help them Help us sign this petition!!!!

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/8/sto...aw-removal-ban

·
Super Moderator
1,504 Posts
That's weird that declawing cats is allowed. I think it's a horrible practice and much, much worse than dewclaw removal or tail docking.

As for the horses, I always thought their tales were like hair and that you could just cut it short if you wanted it. I never really thought about it, I guess.
The tail has a bone in it. You can cut the hair off flush with the bottom of the bone. You sometimes see old pictures of foxhunters with tails trimmed like that. Even a short trim isn't enough to keep the tail from interfering with some types of harnesses, though. So the tails get cut off as little nubs. Poor guys have nothing to swish flies with.

More horse trivia:
Nicking and setting the tails are purely cosmetic. Saddlebreds on the show circuit are supposed to look very revved up, with high heads and a very arched tail. An excited horse will naturally arch its tail. However, you can artificially achieve that look by cutting some of the connective tissue in the tail and putting the tail in a tail set. It's kind of like putting hair in curlers, only tails have nerves. Really unsavory people will shove irritants like ginger up the horse's rear end to encourage the horse to lift its tail.

Quarter Horses shown in western pleasure, on the other hand, are supposed to look like they are on the verge of falling asleep. They just shuffle around with their heads and tails drooping. Swishing or arching the tail detracts from the sleepy look, so people have been known to inject things to deaden the tail entirely. Ugh.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my apology

Hello

I'm sorry if offend anyone yesterday. It was exciting to say the least, I really enjoyed be able to express my concerns for our breeds future.

It is not my goal to make enemies among fellow breeders or breed lovers. Maybe it’s the age I'm at when I've seen so much despair and control that it really starts to get to me.

I have a wide variety of friends with various breed types. We talk we share ideas and express future concerns. It upset me a little when I was approached and asked what fellow Poodle breeders felt about this particular ban on docking.
I had to admit that we really were not worried about the ban that it did not really affect us most of us already know how to dock and due dock on our own.

This point was brought to me, "that's all fine and dandy for you. But do you think for one minute the ban will stop at the vets. HAD TO THINK ABOUT THAT FOR A MINUTE. The obvious answer was no.

It was then explained to me that the vets association was being hit hard by various animal activist. These being the reason why dock and dew claw removal are considered cosmetic practices.
These are the same groups that took my friends pit bulls away. And for what bite prevention. The results were just in Toronto, the bit bull ban has done nothing but extinct a breed. Bites have not resided after ban of pit bull. Another example of how animal activist have been able to remove breeders rights. I never signed their petition because it did not affect me.

We as breeders are going to be easy targets. Today no tail docking tomorrow no breeding.

So please except my apology, I only have best interests at heart. Everyone should have a choice to have a docked or undocked pet. Just like everyone should have the right to dock or not to dock.
If we chose to dock than I would like to think that it’s being done with the utmost intentions of animal welfare in mind.
Thanks for your time
Jean
This is why I thought others maybe interested in this petition as well as other information.

NSVMA rules on Cosmetic Surgery | Facebook

Letters from owners of tail damaged dogs

CBC News - Nova Scotia - N.S veterinarians ban tail docking

CBC News - New Brunswick - No more nip and tuck for show dogs: N.B. vets

Me and my dogs in Halifax, Nova Scotia: NS Veterinary Medical Assocation Bans Tail Docking & Ear Cropping

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/8/stop-the-canadian-veterinary-medical-association-in-furthering-the-dockcropdew-claw-removal-ban

1 - 14 of 14 Posts