Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

we have a 9th month old standard poodle. His tail was docked at the breeders vet as a puppy. I never noticed anything before, however I never actually looked at the tip of his tail.the tail is pointed at the end, and there is a tiny little point sticking out. Is this a problem? My boyfriend is worried about him getting frost but or something in the cold weather (we are in northern Ontario).
I have attached some photos. It’s hard to see, because it’s very small. Should we be worried?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
It is hard to tell from photos, but is there definitely skin grown over it? Or is it hard like bone? When tails are docked they're usually done in a manner that leaves some extra skin on the tip so it closes easily. If it doesn't look normal I'd consult your vet.

·
Registered
739 Posts
It looks like there is skin over it.
If there is then do not worry about it, it looks like Evie's docked tail. I will see if I can try to attach a photo.
Try not to worry to much. If you think that it might me worrying then talk to your vet.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
It is probably the bone coming through. I has that with my Poppy. The intent was to leave it alone.....until she started chewing on it and fussing with it, especially after being out in the cold. Since she persisted in this behavior, it was obviously bothering her. When she was spayed at 14 months the vet removed a couple of the tiny vertabrae at the tip and closed it with a nicely padded with flesh tip. She has never bothered it again, except during the healing stage. It was nearly impossible to get her to leave it alone. So leave it alone unless your baby starts messing with it. My groomer went through the same thing with her poodle, except he chewed it open two times while recovering....two more surgeries to fix his "work" it was a mess.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts