Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For 6 years of Rileys life he was never a tear-er. Last fall he developed dry eye in both eyes, and then developed entropion in both eyes. Since then he has teared. He was really bad before he got the surgery, and the tears were dark brown and staining. He is much better now, but still tears Way more then before. He always has tear tracks and staining now. I hate it! I think alot of it is from his eye meds though. So how much do your poodles tear? Have they always teared?

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Harry doesn't really tear he develops goop in his eyes which is really gross. I usually just wipe it off but if I miss it it dries and we can get it off pretty easy. It gets worse the more his hair grows out on his face.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have a white toy and his eyes have always teared. I have to use Tylan 2 times a week. I read somewhere to feed cooked liver and it worked. Has anyone heard of this. I am thinking of trying it.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
The discoloration near the eyes isn't specifically from the tears itself, it's caused by the bacteria and yeast that live in the warm, moiste hair. If you have a dog that licks a certain spot on it's body, like a cyste or his feet, you'll also see the discoloration building up from the bacteria.

As far as I know it's not harmful for the dog, just unattractive. I once saw on a grooming show where the tips said that you can put chapstick (mild and nonscented) on the areas by your dogs eyes, encouraging the tears to slide off rather than to sit there.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Mandy's did as a pup but is all clear now for most part other then the odd dry booger but now staining I heard bottled water is great for that.
Good luck to you. Are you sure it isn't food allergy that is another sign so I have been told

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I wonder if dark dogs get these tear stains...just unseen
Elphie doesn't seem to get much gunk in her eyes unless shes REALLY shaggy ((like right now)) but when shes got a clean shaved face no gunk at all

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I've never noticed any staining on Elphies face, but shes a darker brown ((almost black in the house))

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, no food allergy. I control his diet, and this started Exactly at the same time as his other eye problems. Im positive it has to do with the surgery. Just wondering who elses dogs to it, and what age did it start?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Vinnie's eyes don't tear - just normal "sleep" in the eyes that you would expect. I have also heard that bottled water helps - I actually do give my guys bottled water as the water in my town is not very good. I don't drink it either! :wink:

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Paris doesn't tear at all, and hopefully never will! Just the usual eye gunk :p

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Saffy gets the gooey stuff in her eyes, and a bit of crusty stuff.

If I don't clean it, she will get the stain from it all down her eye.
My grandparents spoo had it as a puppy but grew out of it, phew

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Perry is a toy/mini, so I assume he's a bit more prone to tear than the standards, right? But, nonetheless, he tears/stains a lot. It's not the red, though... it's gross and brown. (Dr. said red or brown, it was still the same.)

I bought wash and we do it every night, it has helped a little, but not much. I had read about the Angel Eyes, but also read - on here, when I was a lurker, and other places - the concerns with giving your dog an antibiotic every day for no real reason.

We're currently in the market for a water purifier, so I'm ready to give the "bottled water" trick a try. I've also read the liver thing, but I'm too grossed out to try that one! lol

·
Registered
98 Posts
Jazzi and Ella don't really tear, but do get eye bugars, since we went grain free much less though. Hope you find something that works1

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rileys eyes still tear alot. They are actual tears instead of eye goop (though he gets that too). His left eye more then his right, but that doesnt suprise me as he has an injury in that eye. I still feel it was from his entropion surgery. I am not complaining about the surgery or the surgon. An actual opthamologist did it. He was never a teary dog before that though. Oh well. I just cant figure it is that comfortable to have teary eyes all the time.

·
Registered
752 Posts
It's not typical bottled water that works. It's distilled water, which is also bottled, but has no minerals in it. I tried this with my bichon when she was very young and it worked wonders. I stopped buying distilled when I got Liberty though because they both drink out of the same bowl, and together, they drink A LOT of water! Cosita tears a lot less when she hasn't had any food or treats with red/dark brown dye. I know it sounds funny, but it's true. She used to never tear, but has gotten a lot worse in the last year or so. She actually has dark brown/red eye goobers.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Vasco doesn't tear, although hard to tell on a black dog. He does gunk up; I have to clean his eyes nearly every day. I'm campaigning for a shaved face because of this, but no luck convincing my S.O. yet. I'm assuming it helps ... do others find the shaved face helps with eye gunk?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts