Poodle Forum banner

Do you use flea/tick preventative on your dogs?

• Yes, all year long

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Yes, but not in the winter

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Yes, but only when needed if there is an infestation

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • No, if we find fleas we have a flea bath done and just pull off ticks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No but we have never had a flea/tick problem

Votes: 7 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick poll. I just wanted to see how many of you use flea/tick preventative on your dogs on a regular basis.

Until Zachary and Sasha I never used flea/tick preventative. And now we don't use it on a regular basis, almost every one we have tried Zachary has had a bad reaction to. So now we only use it in May/June when the ticks are the worst and usually only on Sasha. Both my dogs are inside dogs and they have only a small circle of friends

So just curious to see what others do.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I do use it on my dogs, but only because of working at the clinic.

They are regularly exposed to fleas here, and I would hate to have a flea problem, but I also really dislike giving it to them. :/

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
No flea problem here - we DO get ticks (and get them BAD in the spring/summer) but unless my dogs are walking/playing in tall grass or wooded areas they never get them. We don't frequent tall grass or wooded areas - I can't remember the last time I saw a tick on any of my dogs!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Not during winter months (which is kind of short here in SC)

·
Registered
681 Posts
Midge, knock on wood, has never had a flea on her. We occasionally will put vectra3D on her, if we HAVE to. But it's just not an issue. Although there ARE fleas in Hawaii, she doesn't particularly attract them.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We only use flea stuff june-sept and then only every other month. So far that has worked well and we haven't seen any fleas.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
we use it when there is a problem or during the summer months. Only put it on every 8 weeks or so for the topcials.

I do other things though to keep fleas at bay as well but they are diet and home maintence related.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Fleas aren't usually a problem here, and even though Paris comes to work with me daily, and we DO get the odd dog in that's infested, I have only had to de-flea my crew once, and that was cos I found them on the cats so figured there was definitely fleas multiplying! I HAVE seen the odd live flea on Paris when I groom her, but picked it off and never found another for a long while.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts