Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

2 weeks ago, our family has grown with our lovely baby Luna. Since then, I am observing her growth but after checking other topics here, I started to feel that my poodle is a little smaller than most of miniature poodles here. Both parents are miniature as I had a chance to see their several photos but don't really know their measurement by weight and height.
We also have a problem about internal parasites nowadays. yesterday we realized it after she vomited and immediately started deworming treatment after vet check. However she lost her appetite and eating around 80gr kibble / day (while her regular was around 120gr/day). That may probably affect her weight as well

Here is Luna's data

16th week - 5.5 pounds (the day she joined us)
17th week - 5.7 pounds
18th week - 6.2 pounds (yesterday) & 10.6 inches

I would be very thankful if you can share your opinions and experiences.

·
Registered
7,264 Posts
She looks like she is on the smaller scale of weight for a miniature, but she is steadily gaining weight and that’s what matters. Also, she is already over 10 inches at 18 weeks, which means she is definitely going to be within the 10-15 inches range for a miniature.

I would keep monitoring her weight and make sure she eats a good quality food but other than that, she seems to be doing well. If the vet says she needs to gain weight, there are ways to help with that, such as mixing a little bit of canned food with her kibble.

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
Hi and Welcome!

For comparison, my smaller mpoo boy, Remo, was 7.3 lbs at 18 weeks. By 23 weeks he was up to 9 lbs. At just over a year old he was 9.5 lbs and after fully maturing, he's now holding around 12.5 lbs. I never did get a height when he and his brother were younger but now he's between 12-13 inches at the shoulder. I still can't get an accurate measurement.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Hello everyone,

2 weeks ago, our family has grown with our lovely baby Luna. Since then, I am observing her growth but after checking other topics here, I started to feel that my poodle is a little smaller than most of miniature poodles here. Both parents are miniature as I had a chance to see their several photos but don't really know their measurement by weight and height.
We also have a problem about internal parasites nowadays. yesterday we realized it after she vomited and immediately started deworming treatment after vet check. However she lost her appetite and eating around 80gr kibble / day (while her regular was around 120gr/day). That may probably affect her weight as well

Here is Luna's data

16th week - 5.5 pounds (the day she joined us)
17th week - 5.7 pounds
18th week - 6.2 pounds (yesterday) & 10.6 inches

I would be very thankful if you can share your opinions and experiences.
Well I'm not familiar with the growth rate on miniatures but if he had parasites that will affect his weight. I think as he eliminates them you will see more of a change in his weight. I would also drop off another stool sample in two weeks to the vet for a re-check. And as previously posted a good quality food for him.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello again,

Thank you all for your comments. Here is the update.

We completed deworming but even after 3 days, she refused to eat kibbles (max 40g / day). So we came up with the solution that we mix wet food with kibble (same brand for both - royal canin mini puppy) everything changed and we are now back to usual eating habits finally 🙏🏼 I strongly recommend this solution. I believe after vomiting kibble, she was somehow disgusted by smell or something like that.

but during our hard week, she had eaten soo limited and thats why she is now 6,3pounds on her 19th week but I believe we will compensate it soon as she is eating now around 140g/day including treats.

I will put an update under this topic as she accelerates gaining weight.

Again thank you all for your kind advices.

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
This is good news. Please do keep us posted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts