Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lol seriously, being new to the forum and enjoying so far, I am curious, who all show their dogs and who does not? Whats all involved in showing? And why if you do not, dont you?

I do not, honestly I loved the breed and it fit our needs and my BF wanted a "real dog" (one of average size he is 6'4). He is also not AKC, Olie that is.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I have shown my dogs in agility, obedience, conformation, lure coursing, and rally. I currently show my two IGs in agility. Vinnie will be more of an all around dog - agility, obedience, rally, tracking and maybe hunt tests.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have shown my dogs in agility, obedience, conformation, lure coursing, and rally. I currently show my two IGs in agility. Vinnie will be more of an all around dog - agility, obedience, rally, tracking and maybe hunt tests.
Wow, good for you. It sounds like a lot of work but something I think we would enjoy but it couldn't be AKC shows so I may look up some more info on the training peice.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I show in conformation, Rally, and Obedience and had plans for agility before I got knocked up lol. Maybe after the baby. So far I haven't shown poodles yet but I got my 10 mo old puppy Saleen specificly for performance events and as a conformation prospect.

There isn't any reason you couldn't do AKC shows with your dog, even if he is unregistered. AKC has a program where they will grant an unregistered dog an alternate registry number that will allow them to compete in everything except conformation. The only catch is your dog must be spayed or neutered. They have also just started a program to allow mix breed dogs to compete in obedience/rally and maybe Agility too?? Same thing as with the alternate numbers, (which I beleive are called pal numbers now), the dogs are supposed to be spay/nutered and they are only allowed to compete at shows not offering conformation.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I show in conformation, Rally, and Obedience and had plans for agility before I got knocked up lol. Maybe after the baby. So far I haven't shown poodles yet but I got my 10 mo old puppy Saleen specificly for performance events and as a conformation prospect.

There isn't any reason you couldn't do AKC shows with your dog, even if he is unregistered. AKC has a program where they will grant an unregistered dog an alternate registry number that will allow them to compete in everything except conformation. The only catch is your dog must be spayed or neutered. They have also just started a program to allow mix breed dogs to compete in obedience/rally and maybe Agility too?? Same thing as with the alternate numbers, (which I beleive are called pal numbers now), the dogs are supposed to be spay/nutered and they are only allowed to compete at shows not offering conformation.
Good to know, thanks. I need to do my homework. He is neutered that happened when he had surgery after birth that why so young. I was misinformed on the requirements.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Wonderpup, beat me to it. There is no reason you couldn't compete in most AKC sports, just conformation b/c it's meant to evaluate breeding stock (they have to be intact). I think all you need for ILP is some photos, proof of spay/neuter and $35.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I will be showing Jasper, my cream puppy in my avatar, in conformation. I wanted to do agility with Harry my black boy but I missed the class and now I'm stuck waiting for the next run. If I had time I'd really love to take Harry for obedience and show in that as well. Maybe when the kids are a little older I'll have a bit more time and will get into that with the other stuff.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Am I to guess that you seek you outside trainers for this? Thanks for your great feedback!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Am I to guess that you seek you outside trainers for this? Thanks for your great feedback!
Thats a good place to start, seek out a training class with a good trainer. Even as a trainer who teaches classes often I take my dogs to classes with another trainer. You just can't get the same distractions on your own that you can get in a group class. :) They have to be able to do what you ask in spite of what may be going on around them.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I agree about the group class. I think dogs learn from watching other dogs too. "OH! You want me to do THAT!" sort of thing.

I have a toy puppy. I will be taking her to obedience classes and want to get her Good Canine Certification. Depending on how she takes to obedience, I would like to try agility and/or rally. I bought my pup as a companion on a limited registration (meaning that she will be spayed), so we won't be doing confirmation.

Myself, I like the events where you and the dog are judged on your performance. There is a LOT to do to get prepared for confirmation and that's not my thing. Not to mention that I didn't get a show quality prospect, so we really couldn't compete even if she could.

She's still my little hero! :love: It's amazing the things you can do with your poodle.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
There's club an hour away from me that has lots of info on their site, including info about handling classes and a link to the local obedience club. You should be able to find a club close to you on the AKC website. From what I've read on other forums, these clubs are probably the most consistent when it comes to quality trainers, b/c they compete w/ their own dogs. With other places (franchises and coorperate petstores) it kind of depends on the individual trainer they hire. If you're wanting to do obedience (or any other sport) you want a trainer that has put titles on their own dogs.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Conformation (pro-handler) and Obedience. I'm currently showing Sabrina in
Utility. I put CDs on Izze and Gracy last year. Izze is trained through Open but she will be going to her new home in 2 weeks. I started Delilah and I hope to get her CD this time next year.

Classes help, but there is no reason you couldn't get a book and do it yourself. I trained Sabrina myself all the way through Open. I didn't even have jumps back then. I just used two Tiki torches and a piece of cardboard. :rofl:

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
LOL! I've never thought of posts and card board! I should try it w/ Harley. I know he could do obedience, but he hates riding in the car. That rules out driving an hour to class every week. :eek:hwell:

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
BFF, I had to chuckle at your comment on their being a lot to do with getting ready to show in conformation. Thats the truth no doubt about it but weirdly I get more stressed out getting ready to take one of the dogs to do obedience or rally than I ever could with conformation.... maybe that has something to do with the fact I haven't shown a poodle yet, only other breeds.
Leave it to me to be stressed and hyper about the oddest things.

As for doing training on your own totaly without the help of a group class or a trainer with a book my advice would be to be careful about that. It's NOT impossible, don't get me wrong, but you're not as likely to reach your potential without a second set of eyes watching you. It take a lot of time and effort, why not make the most of it.

Funny Story; I started teaching Saleen basic heeling almost as soon as I got her, without the mirrors of the training center and without somebody watching. I've put plenty of obedience titles on dogs, I know what I'm doing. While I've worked with TONS of larger breed dogs all the dogs I have competed with have been small so I tend to turn my torso in slightly and look down on the dog just so I can see them. Thats a no no really, but it was just an habit I had that I wasn't aware of. Well with saleen being larger there was no reason I couldn't see her out of the corner of my eye but still I did it the 'old way' without even noticing it. Guess what my fellow trainer pointed out less than five minutes into a practice session I had come out for (her place has mirrored walls, amazingly helpful, which is what I was doing there in the first place). She stopped me, laughing of course, and pointed out that I had taught Saleen to lag beautifuly. I didn't believe her and was really annoyed when I watched myself in the mirrors on the opposite wall and saw that YUP she was right. By turning my body I had changed heel position enough to teach her to be a few inches behind where she was supposed to be, UGH! I was digusted, I've been at this 16 years, I know better. It took the second set of eyes to catch it though and thankgoodness she did. It only took a week to fix it. I could have plodded along the wrong way for months which would have taken a lot longer to undo. :) The social skills your dog can pick up in a class too in invaulable.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
It's true. Obedience, rally, and agility definitely would have a high level of anxiety and stress. In the obedience certification trial I did, only half the participants completed the trial. You do a lot of practice and hope you and the dog can perform when it counts.

I guess since I have absolutely no interest in breeding, confirmation for me would be way too much work with minimal fun. I get such a thrill in obedience. I'm hoping Zulee and I do well.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Both of my spoos came from seim-rescue/private adoption. They came without papers, I know nothing about their lines, parentage, etc. I have a couple of teenagers so competing in sports events just doesn't fit into our busy schedule. Someday I will get a show puppy that I can at least try my hand in confirmation. If that won't work, we'll do agility. :) But, that's many years away as my guys are just over 5 and almost 4. :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Both of my spoos came from seim-rescue/private adoption. They came without papers, I know nothing about their lines, parentage, etc. I have a couple of teenagers so competing in sports events just doesn't fit into our busy schedule. Someday I will get a show puppy that I can at least try my hand in confirmation. If that won't work, we'll do agility. :) But, that's many years away as my guys are just over 5 and almost 4. :biggrin:
I did not know your spoos where adopted That is fantastic !

My sister an I show our Boy Enzo. Right now my sister handles him ( she needs to go to a class lol)

I hope to get him into dock diving, and the hunt test.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
I'm buying a show quality puppy, I hope everything will go well and we will be able to show in conformation. If not, we will do the obedience, agility and other challenges :).
My question is, what I'm learning, here (I have different experience from Europe) you are using a handler. Can you show your dog yourself? Or you have lesser chance to get points?

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I know a lot of poodles owners do hire handlers, at least it seems that way from the shows I go to here in the south east. I'm a big owner handler kind of person, I wouldn't consider sending my poodle away to a handler (if I decided to show one that is). If you have a really nice dog and you work hard there is no reason you couldn't handle your puppy yourself. Your dog *might* finish his/her championship faster with a handler and they might not. As with everything Its more difficult when you first start out and then it gets easier, especialy if you get really into it and show a lot. Judges start to know you and your dog/dogs and even though they are not supposed to let that influence their choices for placements it never hurts... and lets face it a lot of judges give wins to people they they've seen a lot before, thats where the handler has a bit of an advantage. There is also the practical aspect of using a handler in that it gets you out of having to do a lot of grooming. If you send your dog to live with your handler you don't even have to maintain the coat. I suppose there is something to be said for that... Of course plenty of people keep the dog and maintain it themselves and meet up with a handler at shows and the handler takes the dog in the ring or they only send them to the handler for the weekend. I used to have a lot of weekend only type clients since I didn't board medium or large breeds, only small/toys.

Ok I think I've rambled on enough... lol sorry... I tend to talk alot in real person too.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
I know a lot of poodles owners do hire handlers, at least it seems that way from the shows I go to here in the south east. I'm a big owner handler kind of person, I wouldn't consider sending my poodle away to a handler (if I decided to show one that is). If you have a really nice dog and you work hard there is no reason you couldn't handle your puppy yourself. Your dog *might* finish his/her championship faster with a handler and they might not. As with everything Its more difficult when you first start out and then it gets easier, especialy if you get really into it and show a lot. Judges start to know you and your dog/dogs and even though they are not supposed to let that influence their choices for placements it never hurts... and lets face it a lot of judges give wins to people they they've seen a lot before, thats where the handler has a bit of an advantage. There is also the practical aspect of using a handler in that it gets you out of having to do a lot of grooming. If you send your dog to live with your handler you don't even have to maintain the coat. I suppose there is something to be said for that... Of course plenty of people keep the dog and maintain it themselves and meet up with a handler at shows and the handler takes the dog in the ring or they only send them to the handler for the weekend. I used to have a lot of weekend only type clients since I didn't board medium or large breeds, only small/toys.

Ok I think I've rambled on enough... lol sorry... I tend to talk alot in real person too.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it, I tend to talk a lot myself. At least it is easier for me - don't have to watch spelling :smile-big:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts