Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im selfish and tend to not recommend them to people as much. They are a lot of work, and i try and persuade people out of them. I dont want a poodle given up because people thought my dog was cute and well behaved, but arnt willing to put in the work themselves. I dont want people to go to a BYB to get one either with the average joe will. Id rather they not be a popular breed either as then the breed tends to have more problems (and as we all know poodles have enough).

What do you do?

·
Registered
478 Posts
I recommend toys more than any other. I have a good breeder that I recommend to people who I know are serious. I usually don't recommend standards. If they ask, I explain about grooming costs and that usually stops the conversation. Toys and minis are not really much more expensive than a shih tzu or yorkie. Around here yorkies are rampant anyway so they usually want one of those any way. If they don't seem serious I just say I don't know where they can get one. I kind of use my best judgement on what I know about the people if possible.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I talk about poodles being non-shedding and intelligent, that's about it. I also don't try to persuede people into owning one. They aren't for everyone and by everyone, I mean the average lazy person who gets a dog cause they have a kid and want to teach the kid some responsibility. Heck most adults dont have the ability to show daily responsibilty to a poodle let alone a kid and even the most basic dog like a lab mix.

When I sold my puppies, I requested only former/current poodle owners should call about them. I also don't want them to end up DUMPED cause someone didn't realize they are a lot of work.

The most neglected breeds of dogs I see as a groomer are Old English Sheepdogs and Cocker spaniels. Both of those dogs grow incredibly thick hair and have big clunky foot pads and heavy, pendulous ear leathers. Ownrs think they are soooo ADORABLE as babies but dont think that they need daily work. I rarely ever see a pelted, neglected poodles.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I agree that they're not for everyone. For one thing, you want to make sure that the human's IQ is actually higher than the poodle's, or there will be trouble. The poodle is a thinking person's dog. Poodles are for people who want a companion who will absolutely know how they are feeling and react appropriately, like having a best friend who knows when to be quiet.

I feel a little apprehensive when people think they want a poodle because they see that Teddy is so well-behaved. Most have no idea how much time I have put into training and working with him. Most people have lives--I don't (LOL). If you have a full time job, a young child or two and a spouse, it doesn't leave much time for training your dog. I know there are people on here who fit that description, but we are all people who appreciate how special this breed is. We are all well aware of the time requirements and are more than willing to do what we have to to have these wonderful dogs in our lives.

The average person I meet would not be able to take their dog to work every day, would not be able or willing to forgo taking little Jimmy to soccer practice in order to attend puppy kindergarten classes. They would also stick the dog in a kennel for a week when they went on their Disney cruise.

So after all that (LOL), I guess my answer is no, I do not. However, if someone tells me they are getting a poodle, I am enthusiastic about it because I know that if that is the specific breed they want, they probably already know all about them.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Definatly- i've recommended minis to people but not standards.

just like i've recommended a lot of people away from aussies. I have several friends who'd like a puppy from my litter next year. Neither are people really i'm wanting to sell a pup to of this breed. Too much dog for them. Even though activity wise they will keep it busy- they are just way to soft with their dogs for an aussie unless it has a very soft temperment which is rare with this breed.

That said i want to be an ambassador for my breeds. which means i educate the good and the bad points of the breed. And many who you do'nt expect to be great owners for that breed CAN be once you look past their original application (I do a lot of rescue work). I placed a rescue aussie with a family last year i wouldn't have looked past their application. Never owned a dog before. retired couple. But i took the time to talk them. OMG they are Fantastic. The dog is doing great. Ends up they baby sit their neighbours siberian every summer for 3-6 weeks and the wife worked from home. they were gung ho for doing rally o obedience and agility. And came armed wtih a list titled "Stupid questions to ask" T;hese are folks who when t hey come up against something email me, or their obedience trainer and get help. Fabulous home. i would have passed over forsure at first glance for that breed

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Recommending poodles

I think I would hesitate before recommending a poodle, not because they aren't brilliant dogs, but because I think a poodle would be utterly miserable if it ended up in a 'throw them in the backyard and feed 'em once a day' home.

I love mine dearly, but he is VERY needy. Not in a neurotic way, but in a 'you'll never pee alone again' way :). I had Goldens before, and thought they needed a lot of attention/interaction, but poodles have them beat. At least this one.

We do tons of exercise and tons of mental work, and he still is ready to go at a moment's notice. I know I've completely exhausted him if I can get up from the sofa and go to the kitchen and not have him follow.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I completely agree with everything that has been said.

Poodles are special kind of dogs, that take very intelligent people to own them.
There is just something 'different' about poodles.. They just have that something extra over other dogs. The dogs we have (look to the side) are nothing like my poodle.. save the Dobie.. The other two just do not compare, as do most other dogs.

I love it when I hear other want a Poodle, but they are usually people who already know a lot about them, so I don't need to worry. Most Standard Poodle owners, know about them and can car for them well, I more often see the Minis and Toys suffering the most.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I am not getting my mini puppy until July. I was really interested to read this thread because I have never had a poodle. However, my shih-tzus go everywhere I go! I am used to that. My Golden didn't follow me around. She tended to stand around, but when she got a bit older she had arthritis in her back legs so perhaps before that standing was more comfortable.

I want to do obedience and agility with mine. I have my younger shih-tzu in agility already and he loves it. As I said I don't know anything about poodles but I have a feeling they are more inclined to do what you want them to do. Shih-tzus tend to do what THEY want to do. Its not that they aren't smart - they just prefer to do their own thing - rather than your own thing!!

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I only recommend a poodle if they're considering a doodle. I hate to see poodles in the wrong family, like a family that owned a standard at my salon and brought her in every 5 months with no brushings in between. Poor thing, she's been returned to the breeder recently, who quoted "She'll never look like that again."

People need to want a poodle, and need to want to take on the responsibilities of coat care. This is true with any long haired breed. I don't understand how I can brush my standard in 15-20 minutes completely through with brush and comb, and people bring in their 5 pound dogs matted to hell.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I love mine dearly, but he is VERY needy. Not in a neurotic way, but in a 'you'll never pee alone again' way :).
:rofl: my mini is exactly the same way!!

That being said, she is so much happier now that I am working from home. I was doing her a disservice those months I was going into the office and working over 40 hour weeks. Poodles are just a special breed and not a casual pet. If a person expressed interest in a poodle I would have to gauge their sincerity before deciding to engage about their merits.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I recommend that anyone who wants a dog think about their lifestyle and requirements, then research a breed that fits them. I actually researched several dog breeds before I decided on getting a standard poodle. That said, it's the best decision I ever made. Phaedra, my standard, fits perfectly in my life.

I needed a dog that was hypoallergenic because of allergy issues. I wanted a dog that would be willing to walk with me, could go to work with me, would spend time with me and enjoy it, was intelligent and easy to train. Phaedra is all of that and more! The fact that she doesn't shed is a really nice bonus.

When people meet Phaedra, they're sometimes intimidated by her size (or if they hear her bark they're a little freaked), but once she greets them they can only talk about how sweet she is. She's never met a stranger.

I do caution anyone who wants a poodle that they do take more maintenance than your average dog. I have several different brushes and combs for brushing my baby out. It's a constant thing too, if I don't brush her every other day I end up having to spend extra time to get knots out.
I also have a set of clippers so that if she needs a touch up in between her groomer visits, I can take care of her.

Most people, once I mention the grooming, seem put off by the amount of effort it involves. That said, we've done some really cool grooming with Phaedra.

I love having a 45 lb lap dog ;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
I love poodles and don't have a problem recommending them to people. They are wonderfully adaptable dogs. I personally don't find their grooming needs any more difficult or time consuming then other dogs. The reason for this is because with the lab we used to have, we spent soooo much time trying (in vain) to brush out extra hair, not to mention the constant vacuuming. Don't even get me started on the couch! But that's just me. I hate having dog hair everywhere. That being said it is expensive to go to the groomers every 6 weeks. I really want to learn to groom Charlie myself. Our toy, Darby, get professionally done, but she's so small, so it's only like 30 bucks. Charlie on the other hand.......I would really like to be able to do him at home=)

·
Registered
187 Posts
I do my level best to talk people out of a Spoo.

If they're still interested after all of that, then we can really talk. I've had a few really good discussions because of it, but mostly, I scare people out of ever owning a standard.

I know I'm gonna make some people mad by saying this, but I really think dog ownership is much too common in America. The vast majority of dog owners do not devote the time and care their dog needs to live a fulfilled life. If you want an animal to cuddle when it's convenient, leave mostly at home, and not have to train: get a cat. Cats are great; they housetrain themselves, they won't bite your neighbor, they don't bark, and they don't mind being ignored for awhile. If you're getting a dog, you need to devote at minimum 5 hours a week to training, play, and exercise. And that's a very bare minimum. Any breed with high energy, drive, or IQ needs more.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
there are quite a few breeds that i do NOT recommend to people.

in fact, most all dogs. lol. dogs aren't meant to be ignored ... unless they are working dogs on a farm or a ranch. then they are working. if they are for companionship, then the human needs to be there.

i do recommend a standard poodle over a doodle or whatever. if they want a mixed breed then go to a shelter and get a rescue pet.

dogs are HUGE responsibilities. it is a time commitment. it is a financial commitment.

if they don't have a lot of time, then perhaps they should get a cat. cats are great if one doesn't have gobs of time.

so, yes... i love my poodle. i love her love her. i love my cairn terriers. i don't recommend them to anyone who isn't ready to be home with them or take them with them to work. these are not breeds you can leave home 9-12 hours a day.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
LOL!!! i just read savannah's post about getting a cat! i said the same thing and i didn't read her post. hahaha. great minds, eh?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I do my level best to talk people out of a Spoo.

The vast majority of dog owners do not devote the time and care their dog needs to live a fulfilled life.
I totally agree with this statement!
That's why I waited so long to get a dog. I wasn't at a place in my life before 3 years ago where I had the time and energy to devote to a dog. I LOVE taking my dog with me places. She goes to work with me, she hangs out with my friends with me, I go to the dog park with her. I take her everywhere I can.

In fact, I was at a wedding today and very wistful that I hadn't brought her along.

It really makes me sad to see people who buy a dog and then ignore it! Dogs are meant to be social.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts