Poodle Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,960 Posts
Like this? They do have to move if a person wants the spot they are in.
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Water dog Companion dog
Vertebrate Mammal Snout Dog breed Cloud

·
Registered
9,686 Posts
haha, I’m not fond of dogs on furniture, but poodles? Of course poodles are allowed. I can’t imagine going to sleep without a poodle snuggled next to me.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Our sofa is leather - chosen because dog hair is easily removed (the Labrador sheds profusely). There is a dent in one of the back cushions because Zoe (miniature poodle) claims that place as her watchdog spot. There used to be a dent on the other end when our old whippet perched there. We put removeable covers on the good chairs; Zoe often sleeps there. I bought one of those round shaggy dog beds from Costco thinking it would suit the Lab, but it is owned by the Chihuahua who is so small you can hardly see her in it!

No dogs on the bed during the night. The Lab willingly sleeps in her wire crate (with the door wide open); the Chihuahua sleeps in her little round bed on the floor at the end of our bed; the miniature poodle sleeps in her crate (with the door closed) because she tends to wander around our bed at night if not confined.

·
Registered
Beau 2yr old Mini Poodle, Bella 3 month old Pomeranian
115 Posts
Absolutely! Our pets have always been allowed on the furniture as long as they're respectful, and well behaved.

Our couch would be awfully empty without Beau aka my little cuddle buddy :).

Dog Dog breed Water dog Carnivore Comfort

Dog Comfort Couch Carnivore Dog breed

·
Premium Member
10,488 Posts
Buck never lounges on our formal living room couches. Probably because we never use that room, lol. He is allowed on the leather couches in the library and the leather sofa in DH’s study. No chewing allowed. He’s been hogging the bed since he was house trained,

·
Registered
152 Posts
For years I have referred to the couch as belonging to the dogs. Joey is my first Poodle (Standard) so for many years hair has been a problem with others I have had. Still have one 14 year old dog that sheds horribly. My solution was queen fitted sheets covering the couch. It has worked beautifully for me. Easy to change and wash. Dogs don't sleep in my bed but Joey does take a nap on it during the day. All three of my dogs do sleep in the bedroom. Joey locked in his crate (he bothers the others otherwise), Trisha in a crate with the door open and Rusty on an orthopedic bed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yes. They have had to earn their place on furniture and bed by being well behaved. Both dogs are very polite and easily move when asked to.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes! Although Peggy rarely chooses the couch for naps. She’s much more likely to sleep on the ottoman or one of the human beds if she’s not in her own bed.

For pet-resistant fabrics, I’m not sure it gets much better than microfiber. I’ve been wanting a new couch for ages, but this one is holding up too well.
I’ve had a series of large dogs, all copious shedders. None have been allowed on the furniture. Once was the rule established they never seem to mind or try to get up on anything. My six month old standard, however, quickly made a habit of jumping up on a chair in my bedroom. Once I realized that this was a perch from which he could see out a window into the front yard I gave in and that is his chair now. We do share it sometimes because it was my favorite spot for reading. All of my dogs were well over 70 pounds so sleeping in the queen size bed with my husband and I was not an option. I’m a very light sleeper.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Here's a funny, true, story. My grandfather liked to sit in "his" chair that was on an area rug in his living room. He had a boxer. My grandmother had a rule that the boxer was not allowed on the area rug (to prevent hair on it, I suppose). That dog would lie next to my grandfather's chair - on the carpet - until he heard my grandmother approaching. Then he would sigh and move to the hardwood floor. As soon as my grandmother was out of range, the boxer would move back to his preferred spot on the carpet. I wonder if my grandmother ever managed to catch him on the carpet.

·
Registered
32 Posts
No, never. Not the couches, not the beds. Marchie does put his front feet up on the loveseat by the front window, so he can look for the mailman, though. There's a quilt on the seat to protect it from his paws. He never even tried to get up on furniture. My last Spoo, however, would lay on the furniture while we were at work, but never be on it when we got home. I figured it out when I frequently found warm cushions on the couch and loveseat when I got home. Typical Poo craftiness.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts