Poodle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
Elroy: Standard Poodle 02/20/21
2,821 Posts
Elroy is allowed on anything made for sitting/sleeping. For his naps he uses the couch, arm chair, recliner, beds, and/or crate top. For real sleeping, he likes the carpeted floor best.

·
Registered
788 Posts
With our two tiny Chihuahuas, I dare not let the 75 pound Spoo & 83 pound Giant on the furniture. The little dogs like to burrow up in blankets & it's easy to miss them. One hop up onto the furniture could be deadly. So tiny dogs own the bed & furniture, the big dogs have the floor but they have beds all over the house & 2 crib mattresses in the bedroom so they have support rather than the cold hard floor. My Collies had the opinion that 'it's just not done' (referring to big dogs on furniture). I had a well-meaning friend who tried to put my first Collie on the couch & got pinched. He assumed our dogs all got on the couch & thought she was having trouble jumping. The Collie did NOT jump up... EVER so she promptly reached back & pinched him on the rear end. I walked in to the funniest sight & he said, "either your dog doesn't like my help or she just got fresh with me".

·
Registered
Leo (GSD), Lily (APBT), and Simon (SPoo)
679 Posts
I used to have a "no dogs on the furniture" rule that Gin kept breaking. By her logic, if I didn't see her on it, she hadn't been there. Never mind all the red dog hair all over the place.... Eventually, that evolved into "Okay, dogs are allowed on the couch, but not the bed". Ilka kept breaking that one, by hopping up to sleep with my husband whenever he took a nap. Okay then... "Fine, dogs are allowed on the bed during the day, but not at night". That lasted until I lost Ilka, and moved Lily from her crate and into the bedroom at night. In Lily's opinion, the fact that there was a perfectly good dog bed on the floor next to the bed meant nothing. Her place was on the bed between me and my husband. After several hours of back and forth, Lily has spent just about every night in between us for the past three and a half years.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Loki and Rosy are allowed on the couches. Rosy thinks she is part cat and sleeps on the top of the couch. Rosy sleeps in my daughter's room and is allowed on her bed. Loki currently sleeps in my room. He is not allowed on the bed. Eventually, my son wants him to sleep in his room once he is past the chewing stage. My son has a loft bed, so I don't think he will be climbing up there. My first couch and chair had recliners. We had to stop using them because one of my previous dogs loved to sneak under the recliner when the foot was up.
Shopping for new couches is my list if things to eventually. We have leather couches, but I don't think they are the best choice with dogs. After looking at the pictures on this thread, I think I might want an ottoman again.

·
Registered
718 Posts
We're in the minority, no dogs allowed on furniture here.
We've always had this rule because we had small kids and cats, and dogs that were 80-100lbs+. Raffi is our lightest dog yet.
They are allowed on the outdoor furniture, and also the downstairs couch (downstairs is is only occasional supervised access).
I do realize that they occasionally get on the couches when we are not around but I'm ok with that. Tbh I wouldn't mind Raffi on the furniture but not the mastiffs, and I don't want multiple rules that way. Raffi is the only one allowed in my bedroom though, he sleeps right next to my bedside.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
To be honest, I did have a “no animals on the new couch” rule. But it was halfhearted and seen right through. Diego is too old to care about rules anyways…
Dog Couch Dog breed Carnivore Fawn

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've always let Mephistopheles on the couch, but she usually just sits on the couch when I'm watching TV, or to watch me when I go out on the front porch. She prefers to nap on the hardwood floor most of the time, haha.

She's never allowed on my bed though. We're never in the bedroom except to sleep, though, and she walks straight into her crate whenever it's time for bed.

Dog Water dog Cabinetry Grey Dog breed

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Wherever he's most comfortable 🤗. The steps / ramp combo I bought at the end of November have been a smashing success. Two times luring him up and back down, and he got it. Oliver won't use the discrete steps I've had for many years, but the fabric-covered step almost ramp combo wonderfully and completely solved our safely get on and off the couch issue 😊.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Rusty wasnt allowed on my bed. Then he grew tall enough to jump onto it. I would gently take him off and put him on his bed. All good for a few weeks then I woke in the morning to find him cuddled up to my feet!

He spends every night on the bed now.

I block a posh armchair off (upside down side table on it) to give visitors a dog free sitting place.

🐩🐩🐩

·
Registered
223 Posts
No dogs on the bed ever, I have a hard enough time sleeping as it is. They have beds on the floor. I allow my older boy on the couch early morning for my coffee but he stands and waits to be invited. I have a blanket on my couch too.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Sandy likes to sleep on the bed at our feet . We do have dog beds but they are mostly not used. It was tight when we had a Queen. Now that we moved and have a king she’s been enjoying the space. I have to figure out though a better way for them to get up and down . This bed is higher and the floor is tile. I have a ottoman on one side that they use but sometimes they don’t. I cringe every time.

Nova prefers to sleep cuddled with me and does when the kids are at Grandma’s. Every night one of them lures her out of my bedroom or picks her up. They have a pattern who gets to sleep with her and if one of them tries to mess it up .. “Moooom it’s my night to sleep with Nova”. They all love how she cuddles when she sleeps. My middle daughter sometimes manages to steal Sandy when it’s not her night with Nova but Sandy is very clear that she isn’t happy about it 🤪.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts