Poodle Forum banner

Do you let your dog kiss you on the face?

• Yes

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • No

Votes: 10 43.5%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a heated topic on FB today, with very strong opinions one way or the other. Personally, I've always let my dogs kiss me and I never get sick. And I let them kiss my nieces and nephew (if they are okay with it!). I believe it builds the immune system. I think people are so freaking uptight with antibacterial this and that and keep their kids in a bubble. I mean, I get it if you have a child who is autoimmune compromised, but otherwise, I think you're doing more damage to not expose children to some germs.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,132 Posts
Germophobia is one of my big beefs. We all hopefully have well functioning immune systems and I won't even go into what I know you could be exposed to through food that is way worse than getting a doggie smooch 99+% of which never makes people sick.

·
Registered
7,601 Posts
I don’t. Or very little. I’m not afraid of it making me sick, but it grosses me out. They lick their genitals, their bums, they eat dead rotting animals, other animal excrements and so forth. I don’t want any of this in or around my mouth.

I don’t like them licking any part of me either. Most dogs will give me a rash if they lick me. Even if my dogs don’’t most of the time, I don’t like the wet feeling.

Merlin is a very, very anxious licker and he will lick, lick, lick any part of me that he can get a hold on. It makes me crazy...

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Your poll question differs slightly from the title. Mouth...not if i can avoid it. At least I roll my lips in and make a very tight seal there. LOL. Face...yes. I cant quite abide by the thought of having near direct mouth to mouth contact with some of the delicacies that one or two of my dogs one time or another indulge in. Namely...bowel contents of various species, which I'll opt out of.

I heartily agree with the strengthening of the immune system. But there are other more appealing ways to accomplish that in my estimation, leastways for me...like drinking herbal tea and eating healthy foods.??????

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
I don't have my computer,just my phone...out of town so I don't have a thanks button.

Anyhow, I voted yes I let them kiss me on my face. but had to explain why I prefer them not to kiss me on the mouth though.

Not that I'm never going to let a dog lick me because that's ridiculous and anyhow, this is rare but... Check this out.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...AxAB&usg=AOvVaw2ly5t7XubF-ymGM7G4UQLK&ampcf=1

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...AxAB&usg=AOvVaw2ly5t7XubF-ymGM7G4UQLK&ampcf=1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capnocytophaga

Reactions: MaizieFrosty

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I generally don't let them lick me on the mouth cause drool on the lips doesn't appeal to me. I allow a couple licks on face or body but I don't like getting all slobbered on. Only my mini poodle really has any real inclination to lick and he doesn't do it much so it's not something I'm constantly having to stop.

·
Premium Member
13,276 Posts
Brief lick on face is OK; I don't let them lick my mouth (which is why I answered No to the poll). I am not that keen on being licked anywhere, tbh - my dogs will lick my hands if they smell of food, and Sophy often dries my feet for me after a bath, but mostly they have got the message that I don't much like it, and find other ways to greet. Both will use "Kiss to dismiss" - a quick lick to indicate they don't like what my hands are doing, but are too polite to growl or snap.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I prefer not the lips considering she cleans herself and eats some pretty nasty things but she will give kisses on my cheeks or nose which I am fine with. She also has a lovely tendency to lick my toes if I don’t have socks on which weirds me out! LOL.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Don't worry one iota about kisses. Funny enough Louie kisses almost only when prompted - he is weird that way. In my line of work, as a fermenter, which is primarily focused on rebuilding gut biomes, I have to talk people through and out of germ phobias a lot. When you talk to microbiome researchers their answer will surely shock you. One doctor is famous for recommending you let your baby crawl on the floor of public buses (not a joke). Our immune systems have gone downhill so fast from just a few generations ago it is truly shocking that not more has been done on a broader scale to protect people's microbiomes. Why antibacterial soaps, Roundup and other insane chemicals that hurt our biome and therefor ourselves (we are more like hosts to bacteria, without which we cannot survive, than the ruling entity we see ourselves as) are still widely available to be used by the uniformed masses is truly baffling. We will pay for this dearly in decades to come. Just watching an interesting documentary series called "The Human Longevity Project: well worth the time.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Brief lick on face is OK; I don't let them lick my mouth (which is why I answered No to the poll). I am not that keen on being licked anywhere, tbh - my dogs will lick my hands if they smell of food, and Sophy often dries my feet for me after a bath, but mostly they have got the message that I don't much like it, and find other ways to greet. Both will use "Kiss to dismiss" - a quick lick to indicate they don't like what my hands are doing, but are too polite to growl or snap.
fjm, I find those ways of licking really obnoxious too. I only like it when it is affectionate. And for Maizie that is a few kisses on the face and for Frosty it's 100 happy kisses on the face while wagging his tail like mad. One or two affectionate licks on the hands is also welcomed. But I do say no thank you to licking me when I come out of the shower or put lotion on.

·
Premium Member
24,132 Posts
By dry weight there is more microbial DNA than human DNA in/on our bodies. Better understanding of the microbiome these days is truly fascinating in what it reveals. I use to teach that E. coli just provided us with vitamin K and some protection from pathogens. I won't go into all we now know other than to say there is quite an array of general public audience reading available in addition to the huge volume of primary source material.

Microbes aren't hitch hikers, we are vessels!

·
Registered
511 Posts
This is a heated topic on FB today, with very strong opinions one way or the other. Personally, I've always let my dogs kiss me and I never get sick. And I let them kiss my nieces and nephew (if they are okay with it!). I believe it builds the immune system. I think people are so freaking uptight with antibacterial this and that and keep their kids in a bubble. I mean, I get it if you have a child who is autoimmune compromised, but otherwise, I think you're doing more damage to not expose children to some germs.
I just don't like the sensation of getting slimed but do not flip out if it happens. Also do not fuss if our 1 year old grandson gets his (always) sticky fingers tenderly licked by a long poodle tongue. I'm sure his hands are much cleaner afterwards, as he is crawling now and gets into everything

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
511 Posts
Don't worry one iota about kisses. Funny enough Louie kisses almost only when prompted - he is weird that way. In my line of work, as a fermenter, which is primarily focused on rebuilding gut biomes, I have to talk people through and out of germ phobias a lot. When you talk to microbiome researchers their answer will surely shock you. One doctor is famous for recommending you let your baby crawl on the floor of public buses (not a joke). Our immune systems have gone downhill so fast from just a few generations ago it is truly shocking that not more has been done on a broader scale to protect people's microbiomes. Why antibacterial soaps, Roundup and other insane chemicals that hurt our biome and therefor ourselves (we are more like hosts to bacteria, without which we cannot survive, than the ruling entity we see ourselves as) are still widely available to be used by the uniformed masses is truly baffling. We will pay for this dearly in decades to come. Just watching an interesting documentary series called "The Human Longevity Project: well worth the time.
Thank you so much for your great info. Yes, I am sure you are right

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
I'm not a germaphobe...not at all. I don't use hand sanitizer and I don't worry about a little dirt. I go out of my way to avoid anti-bacterial soaps or most other products with the exception of a couple of cleaning products. But I still don't like doggie tongues in my mouth. Hahaha. :ahhhhh: A little affectionate lick or two on my cheek is about all my little ones do anyhow. :kissed: They're not huge lickers for the most part. Sometimes Maurice licks a bit more than I like so I just say, "enough" and move my hand away or whatever... and he stops. It's not on account of the germs I don't go for a lot of licking. It just bugs me to get wet with that slimy saliva they have and I prefer not to have that feeling.:tongue: But I do draw the line as far as germs when it comes to poo and e-coli. I see Maurice snatch up a piece of dog poo or some wild animal poo and do I want him to give me a French kiss?:kissing: Hell no! :argh::act-up:

I had one of those excessive lickers...my little girl Chihuahua. It's one of those things if you tell them to stop it and you're at all serous sounding, they just lick more...an appeasement gesture. lol.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts