Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you let your standard poodles lay on the bed with you? Or sit on the couch with you? Wriggs is pretty big and has just now at a year and a half started jumping up on my bed...I can't decide if it is a practice I want to let him do (as of now I tell him to get down until I can make up my mind). I do let him sit on the couch...
What do you guys do?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Do you let your standard poodles lay on the bed with you? Or sit on the couch with you? Wriggs is pretty big and has just now at a year and a half started jumping up on my bed...I can't decide if it is a practice I want to let him do (as of now I tell him to get down until I can make up my mind). I do let him sit on the couch...
What do you guys do?
They sit on the couch, they have their own armchairs.. they sleep in bed with us.. they sit at the dinner table on their own chair with us from time to time.. completely spoiled! completely adorable!:hug:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I'm fine with it BUT poodle paws carry dirt........so I try to be very careful when they come in and jump on anything. They are aloud for sure, but we tend to do a once over:)I have had poodle dirt, grass and poo on my white down comforter....So I learned my lesson the hard way on that.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I make it a point, that they wear boots in the winter... the only time they actually WILL put shoes on because they know how cold their little hands and feet get.

I ALWAYS, wipe their feet and butt with a wet rag after we come in from outdoors. If we are out, I carry baby wipes and do the same. Yes, it may be over the top.. but for me, it makes sense and I don't mind doing it. Everyone knows that Snoops and Orville are two of the cleanest doggies out there. Makes us feel good. Sure, some say to let dogs be dogs.. but this is us :)

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I make it a point, that they wear boots in the winter... the only time they actually WILL put shoes on because they know how cold their little hands and feet get.

I ALWAYS, wipe their feet and butt with a wet rag after we come in from outdoors. If we are out, I carry baby wipes and do the same. Yes, it may be over the top.. but for me, it makes sense and I don't mind doing it. Everyone knows that Snoops and Orville are two of the cleanest doggies out there. Makes us feel good. Sure, some say to let dogs be dogs.. but this is us :)
lol The wipes are a life savor!! And as we speak mine just tracked in dirt on the carpet ugh!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I would never allow dog in my bed or on my furniture... unless he/she learns how to take showers every day as I do LMAO

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Ponki is allowed on the furniture and the bed. We have leather couches so it's easy to just wipe them off every now and again. The dobes... no... they are just too big and its kind of a Ponki's little sanctuary to sanity especially once the dobes start rough housing with her.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
They are clean, don't smell, and don't shed so yes, they are allowed on the furniture and sometimes get in bed with us. It's funny though because more often than not, they prefer the floor or a rug!

This is one of Billy's favorite places to hang out but Sassypants has been taking over lately. You never know where you are going to find kitties and dogs in our house. Often, the cats will share a dog bed with a dog or they will take it over completely.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
We allow our two spoos on the furniture and on beds. Matrix loves to sleep on my parents' bed, and Mitch will alternate between sleeping in my bed, on the floor beside my bed, in the den in his bed, in the den on the carpet, in the hallway, or (rarely) on the couch. We always kept a towel at the door to wipe their paws, but i bet the wipes would do a better job! Thanks for the tip!

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
All my dogs and cats (even the shedding ones) are allowed pretty much anywhere and everywhere any other family member is allowed. I can not think of any place in my house where the animals can't go... I enjoy them on my couch and in my bed. It makes me happy! :)

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
No bed and no couch, I don't want to compete with my dogs for my space. They can have all the floor they want but my space is mine and my husband's alone.

·
Registered
562 Posts
The way i justify letting Mister and my girls on the bed is only if they are invited! I am the boss and if i invite him up then its ok. He's not allowed to just run in my room and hop on the bed, he needs to be invited and then its ok. Same goes for the couch.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I would never allow dog in my bed or on my furniture... unless he/she learns how to take showers every day as I do LMAO
OMG, I got the funniest mental picture of Jazz or Saleen howling along with the radio in the shower. ROFL. Can you imagine having to fight the dog for the bathroom in the morning before work, hehehe.

I allow my all four of my guys on the couch but not always on the bed. Saleen is just now figuring out that being up on couch or bed is something she can do, she's a stay on the floor dog most of the time. I don't allow the tibbies into our bedroom very often since they shed. That is the only reason the spoos are allowed on the bed in fact since they don't shed. It depends though on how clean they are at the time. I don't allow Jazz up onto the bed as often as we used to and she no longer sleeps in the bed unless I am not in the room. John lets her :p
I have to admit though that with the tibbies, one it's very hard not to allow them up ont he couch being that they are kind lap dogs and my lap happens to live on the couch these days lol. They are very cat like though and like to be way up high if they can. You'll often find them on the back of the couch or sitting or sleeping on the window seal. Two because they are short (and I am lazy at the best of times), I taught my guys to "take a seat' which means to them to jump up onto the nearest bit of furnature, which includes the coffee table I'm afraid, so that I can put a collar back on or attach their leash or harness. Handy trick at the moment since bending over just now is almost laughable. My midsection just doesn't bend and it's a very weird feeling when I try LoL.

I've never had a problem competing with my dogs for space. They know "off" and respond quickly to it no questions asked. Most of the time I don't even have to tell them, they move if they see you coming basicly. The problem we have is Jazz not really understanding her size and wanting to be in our laps often in odd positions. She is also very difficult to move once she's decided she's going to lay on you. Thats going to have to be our next project to work on actually. We are learning a couple of things at the moment to make life easier but thats next on the list. I can see a 50 lb spoo trying to climb in my lap making baby feeding difficult and maybe dangerous for baby. Can't have that.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Spoos are large dogs. If they are sitting their large butts on my couch they are competing with me for space. If they are laying their large butts on my bed I don't have the same amount of room as I would if they weren't. What's the point of telling them off if I'm going to allow them on? Best to just keep it simple in my opinion and keep them on the floor. I read that dogs in packs do not get to sleep with the alphas. They sleep away from the alphas and when you are in a bed, you are higher up than them thus solidifying your status. When you allow them equal time in your space you are allowing them equal time in your status therefore not separating that status from theirs. No they aren't wolves but they have the same instincts so yes as a member of the pack, you have to maintain your pack leader status or else you are just one of them and they can become leader. There is always a leader it's just about who puts in the effort to maintain that status.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Cricket is allowed on the sofa with us by invitation only! LOL! She is not allowed to just lounge around on the furniture by herself all day, but we do let her up with us sometimes to snuggle when we watch TV in the evening. She doesn't sleep in the bed with us though. We wipe her feet with baby wipes when she comes in with dirty feet too!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Teddy and Mickey sleep wherever they want to, anytime they want to. Teddy spends as much time sleeping on the rug as he does on the couch, but he almost always sleeps in the bed next to me. I really wouldn't have it any other way.

Cuddleparty - I absolutely love those pictures of your babies. Orville reminds me so much of Teddy. Love the one of him lying on the table. LOL!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I wouldn't let anybody with dirty feet and stinky naked butt to sit on my sofa or be in my bed LMAO - dogs no exception :pound:

And of course, with a big dog as a spoo space is an issue too LOL.

I definitely prefer to snuggle with my hubby LMAO !!! I would feel weird having an animal watching me having sex also LMAO - I do not know ... maybe it is just me :rofl:

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Okay I'm not gonna lie our dogs are in our room while that part of our lives goes on but not on our bed and never interfere. I feel like a dirty perv now.:lol:

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Oh my, KPOOOOOOOOOO ???!!!!!!! LMAO :scared: ha ha haaaaaa,

OK, it is "just me" than definitely :pound: !!!!! BUT ...Maybe I need floor too ha ha haaaa , this is really too funny ...LMAO Maybe I am "too sexy" for my dogs :rofl:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts