Poodle Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
The only difference between a Coker and martingale collar is a choker has no limit, and a martingale is a limited choker. Of course that all depends on proper sizing of the martingale. Mysticrealm, the technology for chipping dogs has been around way longer than 11 years. I'm not informed enough to know when it was available, but I do know our lab pup in 1995 was chipped.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
The only difference between a Coker and martingale collar is a choker has no limit, and a martingale is a limited choker. Of course that all depends on proper sizing of the martingale. Mysticrealm, the technology for chipping dogs has been around way longer than 11 years. I'm not informed enough to know when it was available, but I do know our lab pup in 1995 was chipped.
It may have been but it wasn't just offered (at least in my area). You were offered tattooing for identification, not microchips.

·
Registered
760 Posts
No collars here except when leaving home. My cat growing up wore a collar and managed to get her lower jaw stuck in in twice, even after we tightened it. Our neighbors' puppy was also strangled to death by his collar. Her got it caught on some thing while penned up in the garage. They come home from church to find him hanging there :( And someone on my Dane forum left a martingale on her Dane (which you aren't supposed to do) Her other dog got his jaw caught in the control loop, panicked, and twisted the collar so tight that the dog wearing the collar was choking. She had to cut If off with a scissors and could barely cut it because they were struggling and the collar was all twisted up...scary! Asaah is microchipped, and I'm thinking about tattooing her as well. It's a tough decision, there's risk either way.

·
3,110 Posts
I was stunned when Noelle got her collar caught. I've had dogs all my life and Noelle was the first one to get tangled. All of my other dogs wore collars all the time. Now I am too scared of something bad happening again.
It's best to try not to be scared, but just be on guard with things. If a person finds themselves always worrying about what could happen, then there's nothing wrong with just leaving the collar off until it's time for walks. Do what you feel the most comfortable with. I'm just thankful that your baby was okay!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Mine typically only wear collars when we're doing something that will require a leash (training, walks around the neighborhood, going to the pet store or hardware, etc). Otherwise they're nekkid.

·
Premium Member
22,864 Posts
Until very recently I never had collars on any of the dogs when they were in the house or yard unless I was working with them on something. Recently because I have had to manage how they move around each other in the house they have had collars on. I'm not really thrilled about leaving them on and am working with each dog to get back to a point of not needing the collars.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I keep going back and forth on this. I prefer her not to wear her collar in the house because of safety and also to protect her neck hair, but I do worry about her slipping out the door. As an ACO one of the most frustrating things for me is picking up a dog that has no identification. I'm planning on microchipping, but we are changing microchip companies at the shelter and I'm waiting for the new chips (personal preference) before I get it done. Once she has been chipped I will probably not collar at home at all anymore. For now, though, she wears her collar during the day when we are home and it gets taken off at night or when we have to leave her in the crate to leave the house.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
My Aussie got caught by his collar at home. He was very smart and just laid down. If he had struggled he could have hung himself on the stairs. I never realized the danger till then (this was 20 years ago). After that I never left his collar on. Scary as he got out once when my door blew open but fortunately he came back in the door I left open in my panic looking for him. Swizzle has a chip but I can't see him running off. He is very aware of how small he is.

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I want to thank everyone for answering - and boy it's making me think. I didn't realize that a few of you either knew or had had serious issues with dogs getting choked by accident by their collar. I'm thinking what are potential problems in my house given that Babykins is a velcro poodle and I'm home most of the time.

I'm also balancing that with the fact that Babykins doesn't have a good recall outside - she is so attracted to the bunnies and we have a ton of them, that I'm afraid if she ran out the door, she would chase them and get lost. I've been working with her on the "bunny problem" for months and she is pretty good about following my rule that she sit at the door and is not allowed to go outside unless released to go out the door. She is chipped.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Skylar, This has been a huge dilemma for me also over the years. I unfortunately have had experiences on both sides.

Years ago I had a great dane and german shepherd who played hard together outside and one day got tangled in a collar. Shepherd had her jaw in the collar with the Dane's paw also inside. We heard the screaming and ran outside. My husband yelled for me to get the buck knife and luckily he was able to cut the collar with no injuries. He is a big strong guy but could not unbuckle the collar because it was so tight and one dog was very close to being choked. For years we talked about how the outcome would have been different if neither or even just one of us had been home. I never put another collar on either on them for the rest of their lives unless they were on a leash.

With my current dogs I remember several years ago looking up all kinds of advice on the collar issue again. I started with no collars early in their lives. Then we began having trouble with them trying to sneak out the gate if they were out when someone was driving through so collars were on at all times. The most traumatic experience was when they got out the gate and after an hour of searching Dewey ( poodle ) did come back but Rex ( german shepherd ) did not. My husband and I had been searching by foot and car down roads and through the woods for hours. When I saw Dewey back in the driveway I literally fell to my knees and cried. Rex, however, did not return. We continued searching until midnight. Then my husband took off work the next morning to continue searching. After about 24 hours we received a call from a guy at a horse farm about 2 miles from us.
He said he had our German Shepherd. We jumped in the car to get him and the guy told us he did not at first see the collar and tags because Rex has such a huge coat. We thanked him profusely, gave him a large wad of cash, and told him how much this dog meant to us. Later we discussed how even though all of our dogs are microchipped, that many people probably are not going to take a dog to a place that has a chip reader, at least not immediately. We discussed how, without a collar, Rex would have most likely spent the rest of his life with the other dogs at that horse farm. We decided that our dogs would not ever be without collars and tags even though we know there is a risk involved. This is just our opinion based on the horror and what we have experienced. Today no one drives through our gate without calling to make sure the dogs are inside.

Inside the house dogs are not allowed rough play but I let them in and out so much during the day that I am afraid I may forget to put the collar on as they go out. So for me right now collars that include several tags and a GPS tracker are on at all times.

·
Registered
786 Posts
And someone on my Dane forum left a martingale on her Dane (which you aren't supposed to do) Her other dog got his jaw caught in the control loop, panicked, and twisted the collar so tight that the dog wearing the collar was choking. She had to cut If off with a scissors and could barely cut it because they were struggling and the collar was all twisted up...scary! Asaah is microchipped, and I'm thinking about tattooing her as well. It's a tough decision, there's risk either way.
Something almost exactly like this happened to Hans and his friend Cinder. The only difference is that the collar was just a plain buckle collar. They were playing and Hans got his jaw stuck in Cinder's collar. They panicked and ended up twisting the collar. I came running when I heard Hans screaming (Cinder couldn't make any noise because she was being strangled), and luckily I had a pocket knife, but if they'd been alone Cinder would have choked to death for sure.

Hans only wears a collar for training, never in the house. When we go out, he wears his harness. He's microchipped, he's reliable off lead anyway, and he's been boundary trained. He won't go outside our fence without a leash on, even if the gate is open. Not that I like to test that, but one careless friend did leave our gate open once and didn't tell us, and the training worked - Hans stayed in the yard on his own without anyone there to remind him. So I feel like he is safe without the collar.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Oreo is nakie only in the house. When he was a pup, he had his harness on in the house...just as my previous poodle, Fifi, would always wear hers. Oreo jumped into a chair and got his harness caught on the chair arm as he jumped off. He screamed bloody murder and I rushed to save him. If I hadn't been home, the outcome would have been tragic.

Reactions: TrixieTreasure

·
3,110 Posts
Oreo is nakie only in the house. When he was a pup, he had his harness on in the house...just as my previous poodle, Fifi, would always wear hers. Oreo jumped into a chair and got his harness caught on the chair arm as he jumped off. He screamed bloody murder and I rushed to save him. If I hadn't been home, the outcome would have been tragic.
Oh my God, that had to have been SO scary. I'm so thankful Oreo was okay! But yes, if you hadn't been right there, it could ( would) have been tragic.

This reminds me that, besides the close calls that I had with my first Poodle, I also had a HORRIBLE scare with my first cat. This was in 1975, and I was an inexperienced cat owner. I knew I wanted to keep my cat as an indoor only cat, but I had also wanted her to be able to enjoy the warmth of the outside sun. I didn't want to just let her out by herself where she could possibly get hit by a car, or get lost, so one day, I decided that I would tie a rope onto her collar, and attach the rope to the bottom of a post that was in the ground by our front door. I kept the door open so that I could keep watch on her. She enjoyed laying out in the sun, and all was fine ... until she jumped up onto the top of the post, and then jumped right back down. She somehow got the rope tangled up at the top and she was just dangling there! She was starting to choke! Fortunately, I was right there inside the house and I saw her as it happened, and I was able to rush right to her. But boy, I sure learned a hard lesson that day to never EVER do that again. Stupidity on my part for not thinking it through well enough before letting her outside like that. But like I said, I was an inexperienced cat owner, 22 years old, and not thinking. She went on to live for 15 years, but I still shutter of how I could have lost her that day.

Reactions: Click-N-Treat

·
Registered
517 Posts
Fenton wears a kitty breakaway collar and when outside, a harness. My shepherds wear leather collars with their tags. A loose dog that one can not get a hold of in emergency is scary. A dog with a collar is scary as well. My horses always went to their paddocks and stalls with no halters. I have wracked my brains over this. Fenton will soon need to wear tags and his breakaway won't be sturdy enough. It's a dilemma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Since Babykins is an only dog and the cats refuse to wrestle I won't have that problem of another dog getting a hold of her collar and choking her...........but when we visit my daughter I will take her collar off since she plays with my daughter's rough collie and the neighbor's labradoodle who visits so often she might as well be my daughter's dog. So these responses will make me make this change immediately.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I have a martingale for walks and a regular collar for the house. When nobody is at home I take the collar off, which is rare between a housekeeper and kids coming and going.
I bought two sets of tags and collars on a pf suggestion when Zo was chewing her martingale. Now martingale only for walks.
Thank you for the suggestion which now suits us perfectly.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
There are breakaway collars on the market for dogs as well. :)

KeepSafe® Break-Away Collars by PetSafe - GRP-KSC

Draco always does and always has worn a collar in the house and outside. Honestly though, he is so reliable that he doesn't really need it. My husband always likes it on though.
Luke doesn't wear a collar inside or in his crate. When playing inside, Draco will grab Lukes collar alot and play too ruff. If they settle down with that in the future he will probably wear one inside too. The boys are not left alone together.

I never leave martingale collars on, and most of their collars are the snap kind that will release quickly.

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
There are breakaway collars on the market for dogs as well. :)

KeepSafe® Break-Away Collars by PetSafe - GRP-KSC

Draco always does and always has worn a collar in the house and outside. Honestly though, he is so reliable that he doesn't really need it. My husband always likes it on though.
Luke doesn't wear a collar inside or in his crate. When playing inside, Draco will grab Lukes collar alot and play too ruff. If they settle down with that in the future he will probably wear one inside too. The boys are not left alone together.

I never leave martingale collars on, and most of their collars are the snap kind that will release quickly.
Thanks for posting that break away collar - that's a great idea. That particular collar wouldn't work for me because Babykins will chew any tags that hang from a collar so the one I use has a brass engraved name tag riveted to the collar itself with her name and my phone number. Maybe I can find a break away that will allow personalization to add contact info.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I'm curious as to whether your dogs wear collars in the house or not - and what is your reasoning for your preference.
Absolutely always, he wears his collar and tags 24/7, except when bathing or going to the groomers. He is so well trained he doesn't leave the house, even with the door open, but if for some reason if he did get out, or if the house caught on fire, or if I were taken ill, or if I were taken away in an ambulance......

I would want all of his information with him. He has ID's that have his vet info, my name, info to keep him with me all of the time, with emergency info such as my sisters contact info, etc.

If we keep their collar at the correct tension they can't get it in their mouth. I only have one dog, no curtain cords, etc in reach. And he is with me all of the time as a Service Dog. I leave it on for sure ......

I can certainly see other points of view.....

21 - 39 of 39 Posts