Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Growing up our minipoo always wore a collar, when I bought our first dog, a tpoo 30 years ago she also wore a collar always. So much has changed in all those years which is making me question whether my minipoo should be wearing a collar in the house.

I'm curious as to whether your dogs wear collars in the house or not - and what is your reasoning for your preference.

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
Francis and Noelle don't wear collars in the house, or in the backyard. They wrestle a lot and kept trying to grab the collars. Also, Noelle got her collar caught on a fence post and I had to rescue her before she strangled herself. Collars are for going on walks. Plus, it is easier on the hair around Noelle's neck without a collar.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Yes she has a collar and a leash on at all time in the house because we are doing placement training. Once that is established she will be collar only.

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Click-N-Treat - wow that is scary - in fact it was reading something you wrote in another post that made me question what I should be doing. We only have one dog and the cats refuse to wrestle with her so that part is not an issue for us (at this point in time)

aasteapots - glad to see your dog will be wearing a collar in the house after training

Poodle Lover - haha naked sounds funny but it's true.

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
It was really terrifying to see my puppy dangling off the ground by her neck. The more she struggled, the tighter the collar twisted. They seem so innocuous, but collars can be dangerous given the wrong set of circumstances.

Now we have martingale style collars that just slip on and off their heads when we go for walks.

·
Registered
263 Posts
We go naked in the house too. I have quick slip on collars by the door for going outside when customers come. He's very nosey so always comes outside. If on the rare occasion I leave him in the car I also take off his harness.

I've read and know someone first hand who lost their dog due to wearing a collar in the house. The dog loved looking out of the window from the back of the sofa. She slipped one day and her collar got trapped in the radiator. She couldn't get free and was strangled. Of course underneath the window is very popular place for radiators and dogs love looking out the windows. Her dangling name tag got caught inbetween the gaps in the fins and jammed, but I've heard of others where the collar got stuck around the thermostats.

There are also cases of dogs being left in wire crates with collars on and similar things happening if dog has jumped up and tags got caught.

I would say fine to have collars on when you're around but if leaving a dog alone in the house take it off.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Abbey & Dolly always wear collars with their name tag, because I'm paranoid they will somehow get out without identification. Their collars come off every night at bedtime or if they are left alone.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I used to keep my girls wearing a collar all the time. Of late I rarely use one. Even outside most of the time they do not wear a collar. The one exception is when they are at the dog park or in areas unfamiliar to me or them. They are chipped and I do live in a small enough town that most everyone knows my girls by name, and even temperament lol. I realize it's risky and not law abiding and I would not feel right about this in a large city. I used to live in the Bay Area of California in San Jose. This is just my experience though.
Jcris

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
My dogs only wear collars when out on leashed walks.
2 of my 3 are microchipped. (The technology wasn't really offered 11 years ago with my older dog and I haven't gotten it done since)
My youngest puppy was playing with a dog that we know and within minutes of them starting to play my dog had his jaw hooked on the other dogs collar and I had to physically remove my dog's jaw from the collar and then remove the collar. I have heard of dog (one or both) dying in those scenarios.

·
3,110 Posts
Francis and Noelle don't wear collars in the house, or in the backyard. They wrestle a lot and kept trying to grab the collars. Also, Noelle got her collar caught on a fence post and I had to rescue her before she strangled herself. Collars are for going on walks. Plus, it is easier on the hair around Noelle's neck without a collar.
Oh my gosh, I'm so glad you were there to save Noelle! How scary!!

But yes, I totally agree that collars are for going on walks. I always would leave the collar and leash attached, and then that way, it was easy to just put on when it was time for walking.

My very first Poodle would always wear a collar in the house, that is, until one time he got his jaw caught in it. My fault for having it too loose on him, but I'm so thankful that I was right there to help him. After that, no more collars in the house for any of my dogs.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
I'm the same as Caddy--I keep collars on the girls except during crate time and bedtime. I'm terrified of them getting loose and not having ID on them, even though they are microchipped. Especially now having contractors over at the house.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Molly has a collar on about 90% of the time in the house. Most of her collars are made by me and are martingales that are measured exactly to fit her. As I am home and with her 24/7 there is no danger of it catching on anything.......she is never out of my line of sight. The times she is without a collar are usually after her bath, and after brushing for a few hours a day (until it's time to take a walk) and sometimes when I take it off, I just leave it off for the rest of the day.

Reactions: Mfmst and Caddy

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Mine wear collars pretty much all the time. The risk of them slipping out the front door at an inopportune moment (we're a ground-floor apartment with no yard) is greater than the risk of their collars getting caught on something in the house, in my opinion.

·
3,110 Posts
We go naked in the house too. I have quick slip on collars by the door for going outside when customers come. He's very nosey so always comes outside. If on the rare occasion I leave him in the car I also take off his harness.

I've read and know someone first hand who lost their dog due to wearing a collar in the house. The dog loved looking out of the window from the back of the sofa. She slipped one day and her collar got trapped in the radiator. She couldn't get free and was strangled. Of course underneath the window is very popular place for radiators and dogs love looking out the windows. Her dangling name tag got caught inbetween the gaps in the fins and jammed, but I've heard of others where the collar got stuck around the thermostats.

There are also cases of dogs being left in wire crates with collars on and similar things happening if dog has jumped up and tags got caught.

I would say fine to have collars on when you're around but if leaving a dog alone in the house take it off.

Oh, that is so extremely sad to have lost their dog in that way. How horrible for the owner. :-(

There was an incident one time with my first Poodle, where he got caught up in the Venetian blinds as he was looking out of the window, and he was dangling upside down for who knows how long. It didn't have anything to do with a collar because by that time, I had already learned not to leave the collar on inside the house. But what happened was, he got his leg caught up in the blinds, and I assumed that the more he tried to free himself, the more twisted he got. I was at work, so I don't know how long he was upside down like that. As soon as I got home and freed him, he was okay, and his leg was okay too. But, my goodness, I never would have thought that Venetian blinds would be a danger to leave down!

I've continued to use Venetian blinds for my windows all of these years, but every time we go somewhere, we put them up, AND also hide the pull cord, so that the cats won't get caught up in them. And it's easy to remember to do it because I'm been doing it ever since that scary incident in 1977. After once something like that happens, you make 100% sure it NEVER happens again.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Mine wear collars pretty much all the time. The risk of them slipping out the front door at an inopportune moment (we're a ground-floor apartment with no yard) is greater than the risk of their collars getting caught on something in the house, in my opinion.
Absolutely. In 39 years of dog ownership, not one of our many dogs has gotten its collar caught on something. And I don't understand why a martingale collar would be advantageous over a flat buckle collar--to me that's like leaving a choke chain on your dog.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mishka wears a collar or harness only when out and about or sometimes if we have or are guests somewhere. He prefers to be naked.
My parents' shih tzu mix pound puppy Penny wants to have her harness on. When it is being washed or wet, she is eager to get it back on. When taking both dogs for a walk, I put down Mishka's harness and asked him to step in, only to have Penny standing in place - she'll happily wear two if it means she gets to go for a walk. ;)

·
Registered
606 Posts
When my dogs were in show coat, I almost never put collars on them. We had a Scottie-proof fence in front and chain link in back. I have always used martingale leads to walk the Scotties, not a lead attached to the collar. The Scotts are no longer hand-stripped and are in short clippered coats. Plus, we now live in a rural area and have no fence in the front, so if they get out the front door, they are GONE. All 4 dogs, the 3 Scotties and the Spoo pup, wear collars 24/7. I want their tag with my phone number and REWARD to be with them so if they're found I will be notified! I don't use the collars to walk them, so they are kept loose enough that they could slip out if it got caught on anything, but not loose enough to be a hazard.

In all my years of owning dogs, I've never had one catch a collar on anything, but I do recognize that it could happen. I just feel it's more likely that they will get loose in the woods, than get their collar caught on something!

·
Registered
847 Posts
All of mine wear collars 24/7 except for bath time. My dogs are older though and not prone to getting into mischief. Venetian blind cords are hazardous though. I crochet mine with a chain stich to the length I will have them. That way there is no chance of the cat or the dogs getting their necks through the cords.

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
I was stunned when Noelle got her collar caught. I've had dogs all my life and Noelle was the first one to get tangled. All of my other dogs wore collars all the time. Now I am too scared of something bad happening again.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts