Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May I ask for your expertise in determining if this is a pure poodle or a cockapoo?

CocoLatte.jpg

The breeder said she is pure but she doesn't have papers.
Meanwhile, some of my friends say they are certain she's a cockapoo.
I tried googling pictures of "Toy Poodle" and some of them look similar to the picture above.

What do you all think?

·
Registered
6,927 Posts
It’s hard to tell in that position/angle. But at first glance, I think there is a strong chance this isn’t a purebred poodle. The width of the face, the bigger, longer ears and probably smaller legs give it away. The tail doesn’t look like a poodle tail either. This is the perfect picture to use when you don’t want people to see too much...

If there aren’t papers, no matter what the breed, I would pass. You can do so much better than this. Find yourself an ethical breeder who does health testing.

·
Super Moderator
3,369 Posts
Do you have a side view pic of her standing (stacked) so we can also see the length of her legs and get an idea of her bone structure? This is a photo of a stacked toy poodle puppy from show breeder Ron Conners in Connecticut, probably a few weeks older than the pup in the photo you have:

This puppy you're considering is extremely pretty. Heck, assuming it was sweet tempered, I would have had a hard time resisting it no matter what it was when I was searching for a well-bred pure poodle two years ago.

Off the bat, however, I'd guess this cutie is not a purebred poodle. The first reason is the apple-shaped head and snout. It's very pretty, but not the classic poodle jaws and snout. Of course it's head bone structure could be due to it's age as it's still developing.

Secondly, the color and texture of it's hair or fur. I have seen a few Parti colored toy poodles, but not many. The hair/fur is gorgeous, but it looks more like a wavy type (which will make it easier to groom in the long term) and thus there may be some shedding and not completely hypoallergenic. If you enjoy brushing and combing it often, shedding may not be a problem for you.

Third, size. Long ago I bred my cocker spaniel and they are bigger; again, depending on it's age. If it has short legs, it may not be a cockerpoo, since neither cockers nor poodles have short legs unless the poodle size was bred to create a "teacup" poodle to give the illusion that it's smaller, but instead just made it shorter. Poodle people, including myself, hate it when poodle breeders (I use the word loosely) do this.

I won't tell you don't get it, but here are some other things I'd consider:

1. How far would you have to travel to get a purebred poodle, and is that reasonable for you?

2. Is this a photo from craigslist, a newpaper, or online site like PetFinder? Many of the online ads are scams, so do not send a dime for deposit for this one or a purebred until you've seen it with your own eyes and at the home of the breeder. And never meet anyone in a parking lot to pay for puppy. You might get robbed.

3. Have you actually met this puppy, the breeder, did you see the dam (mother) with the puppy still trying to nurse her? This way you'd know if the identified mother is really the pup's mother if it's young.

4. What's the story about the sire (father), and why are there no papers?

5. Did the breeder buy the mother from a pet shop, a "farm" these are usually puppy mills, or another breeder backyard or otherwise?

6. Is the home reasonably tidy, and are there a bunch of other dogs of different breeds on the premises? If so the family may be into creating designer breeds.

7. Do you have an intuition that the people selling this (or other pups elsewhere) are living on the fringe and desperate for money? There's no shame in being poor, but if the folks are poor due to addiction they may be more likely to lie about this pup and where it came from, especially if the mother is nowhere to be seen. It could be stolen.

8. Have you done a google search on the breeder's full name and been able to find out how long she has lived in that house? County tax records will show this. Online court records if available will show history of litigation or arrests. This will determine to some degree if the sellers have difficulty with honesty.

9. Has the breeder done DNA health testing at least on the mother and shown you documentation? Has she even heard that this is a thing? Many people think all they need is to have the pups dewormed at 2,4,6, and 8 weeks of age and their first shots. That's a good start, but DNA health testing rules out genetic diseases and is not that expensive.

10. If everything checks out except the DNA swab test which can negotiate, and you still want this puppy, put that in writing and do not pay full price until the results are back. You do not want to spend a lot of money on any puppy that has the genes that show it will go blind in a few years. You or the breeder can order the Poodle Disease Panel here for only $98, and you back the results pretty fast.

11. Also check it's teeth to determine if they fit it's mouth. Dogs from different breeds can have some really misaligned teeth that aren't very noticeable as young pups, but look pretty bad as adults.

12. If you decide to continue seeking a purebred poodle, just ask us for recommendations near your city/state.

So it's entirely up to you, no judgment, just caveat emptor.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I would guess poodle x CKCS based on the head shape and colouring (it’s a very popular mix in Australia). I would also pass. Not a toy owner so maybe that is normal, but they look like some horrible tear stains for such a young pup also.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
My minipoo boys from 8 weeks to 1 year

Remo to 1 yr.jpg

Neo to 1 yr.jpg

This is your little Coco, isn't it? How old is she in that picture? Do you have a newer photo?

Reactions: Vita

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
It’s hard to tell with a furry face, RosenPoos posted good puppy pics for comparison who have fuzzy faces. If you have an older picture, it may help.

She is very cute, I love the markings! Regardless of heritage, enjoy her.

This is Gracie at eight weeks, but she came with her muzzle shaved so I don’t think it will help you.

Attachments

Reactions: Vita

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I'm confused, isn't this the dog you already own?

Poodle mixes can all look different, unfortunately. And they won't all exhibit the intelligence of a poodle. Even if she isn't a purebred, just love her and take good care of her.

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Reactions: Dechi

·
Registered
296 Posts
To me this pup looks almost exactly like my neighbor's Maltipoo (maltese/poodle) puppy--which also, imo, does not look like a poodle. I had a cockapoo when I was a kid, and it did not look like this at all in face shape, muzzle, tail, etc.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It looks like some cavapoos I've seen (cav king charles/poodle). Cute! but those kinds of breeders are generally clueless.

·
Registered
4 Posts
May I ask for your expertise in determining if this is a pure poodle or a cockapoo?

View attachment 452569

I tried googling pictures of "Toy Poodle" and some of them look similar to the picture above.

What do you all think?
A very beautiful puppy. Her health and disposition are what is important in my opinion. So a minor a pure bred. You are a lucky mommy
Diane and Benji

·
Registered
5 Posts

View attachment 452569

What do you all think?
SHe's awfully young and with all that hair on her face, it's hard to tell. Did you see the parents? Also, if she isn't a poodle, she could be mixed with just about anything, many of the "doodles" look similar, and the cockapoo is the original so-called designer dog. (Not downing them, just ,stating a fact.)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts