Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cross posting this so as to let Pet people also know.

This topic was brought to the table at our Poodle club meeting. Several incidents have occurred even within our own club to make us all take stock of what our plans are for our pets/kennels in case of death or disablement.

1. I have signed, BUT NOT DATED, all registration papers for my dogs (pets) so that they may be legally sold or given to new appropriate homes in the event of my disability or death.

2. At this time,___________my household/kennel consists of the following dogs/animals:
a.__________\ b.___________\c.______________\d._________
(more)

3. In the event of my disability or death, the following dogs/animals are to be put down:

4. The following dogs/animals are to be fixed (spayed/neutered):

5. In the event of my disability or death, the following person/persons are to be given custody of my dogs/animals and they have the right to; determine their value, to sell, to keep, or to place them: (Based on listed dogs/animals above)
Dog/animal a (name) _______________ (ph)_______
Dog/animal b (name) _______________ (ph)_______
Dog/animal c (name) _______________ (ph)_______

6. The People or institutions mentioned in Article 5 are aware of my wishes and have agreed to accept custody.

7. Any monies from the sale of my dogs/animals are to be used for:

8: None of my dogs/animals may be sold, given, or placed into the following situations:

9. After 30 days from the beginning use of this document, any of my remaining dogs/animals are to be:

10: Monies for medical care, feeding, housing, and grooming of my dogs/animals for these first 30 days are available in the following place and from the following person or institution:

This document is to be reviewed and revised annually or as needed. Also this document should be made aware to any and all people that may be involved.

Here is the web page I created and the title links to a word document.
http://www.patriotpoodles.com/dispersal.html

·
Registered
681 Posts
You know, I had honestly not thought about it before. I have all kinds of contingency plans for my kids, why not my dogs? Does this kind of paper need notarization?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Well, basically it is the same as a will - which does not need to be notarized. Seeing as dogs are considered personal property you could probably just add the information to an already existing will. You only need a notary in order to make your will 'self-proving'.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Let's just say... my parent's pets are better taken care of in their wills than my brother and I!

Thankfully, because my mother is a lawyer and I have worked at a law office most of my life (no, really... it's sad... I could do a pleadings index in my sleep)... I have a will that deals with all personal things, including my dogs. I even have back-ups in case the people I have chosen can't take my babies at the time. Also, word to the wise, make sure your friend/relative is okay with taking your animal before putting them on there... that might be a bit of a surprise!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Not totally, but my wishes are known. Nothing official at the moment. Basically if something God forbid were to happen to my husband and I. The dogs are to stay with our daughter, so whoever we place as guardian in case of death for our daughter will have to agree to take the dogs too. It would be hard enough for her to lose us, she doesn't need to lose her dogs too. You know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts