Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know with toy breeds it's easy to do because they are so small and they do little cute things that are so human like that you can't help but treat them like humans. So whether you have the small, medium, or larger size of the breed, do you baby them? If you do, how?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Ha ha no! Anyone you ask will say that i train in a harder manner than most. I am their boss and they will listen.
I have Mister who is 50 lbs and he is treated like a dog. I also have a 5 pound Chihuahua that is treated like a dog, no purses or carrying her around everywhere. She actually prefers to run on the ground with my other dogs.
When you get to babying dogs you get problems. They need to know where they stand in your life. It makes their job easier and yours too.
My dogs listen to a T because thats what i expect of them. The Chihuahua and the Spoo alike!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Yes v.v;
The whole crate thing...we have one for elphie
but I think shes been in hers MAYBE twice and only 5 minutes each of those times
she does this AWFUL whimpering that sounds like shes dying so I have to get her out of the crate and cuddle her in bed xDD

and treats, we take her to the local pet store...and the woman gives Elphie about 10 treats every time we're in xDD
shes so cute though...how can't you just wanna baby her?! lol

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ha ha no! Anyone you ask will say that i train in a harder manner than most. I am their boss and they will listen.
I have Mister who is 50 lbs and he is treated like a dog. I also have a 5 pound Chihuahua that is treated like a dog, no purses or carrying her around everywhere. She actually prefers to run on the ground with my other dogs.
When you get to babying dogs you get problems. They need to know where they stand in your life. It makes their job easier and yours too.
My dogs listen to a T because thats what i expect of them. The Chihuahua and the Spoo alike!
I might ask you for some advice with Harry then. I'm having problems getting him to do a down for me. I don't know why he will sit on command in an instant but down is another story.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hmm well if he has the instant sit then the down shouldnt be too hard. I dont give mister hand signals he is voice trained so i just tell him down and he plops down instantly. Its easier for them than sitting especially if they are in a long down stay position.
I just started telling him down with a voice and hand signal then once he was getting used to it i dropped the hand signal and now he just knows down. I started initially with treats but Mister will do whatever i ask him to without treats and sometimes he gets treats. I want him to know that he has to do it when i ask regardless if there is a reward in it for him. It can be a safety thing too. He needs to listen at all times with or without treats.
When i start new things or new tricks i start with treats just so he has that instant reward when he did the thing right and it makes him more interested in doing the weird trick initially but once he gets it i only give treats occasionally.
Hope that sort of helps.
I dont know how i train it just sort of happens. I also speak to him a lot, he isnt like a dog. Well i mean he is but i speak to him sometimes like hes a human lol. Poodles are jsut so intelligent.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Down was probably the easiest command to teach Teddy. In fact, he will go into that position without even being told whenever he thinks I have a treat for him.

I don't think I baby him. When we're walking on a crowded sidewalk, and he starts to get ahead of me, I give his lead a little jerk and he slows down and keeps looking at me while walking right next to me with full slack on the lead. I love that, but if he forgets and goes ahead again, he gets pulled back.

Is it possible to teach a dog that it's okay to run ahead and explore if he's on the flexi lead, but if I have him on the short lead, he has to stay right next to me, or is that too confusing for them?

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
The No - Prior to getting my 2 small dogs not poodles, I did a lot of homework before hand. I did not want my dogs to be stereotyped as yapping ankle biters lol, and they are called that.
So I do not carry them around they walk everywhere, I continue to train with them on barking, and work on Aoki's fear/insecure issues and try very hard not to enable her.

The yes - When it came to feeding them, they were both picky for a long time. So I hand fed them for months. I would get up at 6am and sit 30-45 minutes a day waiting to get them to eat enough food, came home after work and do it again. I had to stop that and somewhat corrected that by placing and pulling food, BUT I do still sit with them from time to time when I know they may have eaten light the day before. So that is spoiling - I am aware that a healthy dog will eat when they are ready:)

Also one of them is a two stop pottier - Aoki will pee and come in and then shortly after she wants back out to do #2.......Not sure I honestly think she is a little OCD.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I might ask you for some advice with Harry then. I'm having problems getting him to do a down for me. I don't know why he will sit on command in an instant but down is another story.
I have the same problem with Olie. With all of them really. The Poms do not set a good example because they do jump up a good bit.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I also speak to him a lot, he isnt like a dog. Well i mean he is but i speak to him sometimes like hes a human lol. Poodles are jsut so intelligent.
I do that too! I was in a store the other day, looking for a shoulder bag and I had him with me (holding him). I couldn't decide which of two particular bags I wanted, so I asked Teddy, "what do you think?" He looked at me and moved his ears a little. So I said, "yeah, I think that one's better too. OK, let's get out of here." Sometimes people near me will look to see who I'm talking to, but once they see Ted, they just smile and go back to what they were doing.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Marian- That might confuse your dog... i would teach him the heel command for when he is on the shorter leash so he knows that you want him to stay right next to you.
Mister knows that when he is on a leash he should be right next to me and he is also VERY good off leash. He will also heel off leash if asked. He has excellent recall which really comes in handy. My senior mutt will still to this day try to run away/ explore the neighborhood if she gets the chance. She's 15 and still does this lol. I decided that my next dog would be good off leash and would never bolt. Gracie my Chi and Mister both listen very well off leash. Its a very good skill to teach them.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
OK, I get it. I do sometimes say the word 'heel', but if it's very noisy, I get a better response from a quick tug on the lead, so I've been working more with getting what I want from him non-verbally (except to praise him when does it right). Thanks--the real secret to dog training is patience!

PS I'd rather talk to my poodle than a lot of people!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I guess it depends on your definition of "baby" lol. Bailey is spoiled, but getting Harley was a wake up call and I stopped nurturing a lot of his bad behavior. Harley is my baby, I adore him, but he is not spoiled in the sense that he gets away w/ bad behavior.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I do baby him in a sense... he's my momma's boy. :) I have him sit with me/on me a lot, love having him sleep in the bed next to me, and I baby-talk him a lot and give him LOTS of kisses and pets. I get him really good quality food/treats, and lots of toys and chews.
BUT I also don't take any crap from him. If he barks at someone, jumps up, or is naughty at all, I correct him and follow through with any punishment immediately. I'm very firm with him when he misbehaves, so he's in general a good little dog. :) I want to give people the best impression of poodles I can. Most people think they are yappy/stupid or whatever, so I like to show off his manners and tricks. He's very friendly and playful too so people are generally surprised that a poodle can be a fun dog.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Every single day a stranger comments to me about how quiet and well-behaved Teddy is. A few have even said that they always think of poodles as being high strung and yappy. I have no idea where they got that idea from!

·
Registered
196 Posts
I usually give snacks when we are all sitting aroung and watching what ever is on tv. Sometimes I let them go in the car with me to the bank. On their birthdays, they get treats and toys. And every night they get a good back scratching.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts