Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have the spoos and a cat. She likes to play "chase the cat" with Harry and it scares me. I'm afraid if he ever forgets himself she will get hurt. This chasing is brought on by her not him so I have a hard time controlling it and he gets in trouble because he's chasing her but it's not really his fault, it's hers. Have you ever tried telling a cat not to play this game? Yeah that doesn't work.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I would never encourage it and would put an end to it as soon as it begins. Whether the cat is the instigator or not, Harry needs to know it's NOT okay to chase her. The possibility of things getting out of hand and the likelihood of the cat getting injured is too high in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
What kind of wimpy cats do you guys have? ;)

I had a cat back in the early '80s, when I had my first poodle, who would actually protect the poodle from the big scary mutt next door. It was a very funny sight to see this big dog back down and run away from a cat.

I don't try to stop my dog and cat from playing, but Teddy isn't a spoo, so I worry more about him getting hurt than the cat.

But seriously, I make sure the cat has places he can go to get away from the dog if he wants to.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I let Flip play with PJ, but he has to be gentle. I moderate it.

PJ is a [email protected] cat though, he's lived at our vet clinic since he was about 2 weeks old, he knows how to handle dogs.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
The cat cries a lot when Teddy's chewing on the scruff of his neck or on his ears, but I've stuck my finger between Teddy's teeth and Mickey's skin and he isn't biting hard at all. I think I was successful in teaching him bite inhibition, so if he gets carried away, I just say, "Easy!" - but I think the cat is a drama queen. :wacko:

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well this chasing happens in my room and she will dart from the restroom to under the bed to get him to chase her. She will taunt him at the door to get him interested and then dart away from him and off they go.

Thing is that I have a Ragdoll and Ragdolls don't use claws. I really wish she would and put him in his place but she just doesn't, it's not in their nature. These breeds can never be let outside as they won't have the instinct to defend themselves against danger. It's obvious she's in "charge" around here because she walks up to bowls and could care less which one is eating, she pushes her way in there and takes over. If she was a boy she'd be about 30 pounds and I wouldn't worry but she's a girl and she won't get over 15 pounds so she could get hurt.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I don't have cats anymore, but I never did allow it and would absolutely NOT allow it now. I didn't want the cat or dog to get hurt and I hate having the dog running around pestering the cat constantly.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Unfortunately dogs don't know when it is OK to chase the cat and when its not. So if you let them do it sometimes and then get mad later it just makes confusion. I couldn't have all that commotion going on around me so I would nip it in the bud. Besides your poodle may revert to hunting instink one day and poooooooor kitty may suffer.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
The cat doesn't run from the dog, so 'Get the kitty!' means pounce in front of the cat and the dog just stands there staring at him wagging her tail. She eventually gets bored and wonders off.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
NO! I have 2 cats, and the dog is not allowed to chase them! Now the bratty male cat chasing the female cat is another story. ;)

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, from now on I'm going to have to correct him from this behavior. Mia will pick up on it and start doing it. I've never liked it and hoped the cat would correct it but she's contributing to the problem so I'll have to take over.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
NO! I have 2 cats, and the dog is not allowed to chase them! Now the bratty male cat chasing the female cat is another story. ;)
I used to think my male cat was being bratty picking on my female cat...until I witnessed her taunting him one day. So don't be so sure it's the male being bratty! ;)

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I never allow the dogs to chase our cats even if the cat starts it (and they do sometimes). This can be very dangerous for both. The cats could cause serious damage to a dog eyes and when the three dogs are together, they take on a pack mentality that could turn really bad if they got the cat cornered.

For some reason, we have found the spoos to be obsessed with cats. We had to teach them to leave it and we do have to reinforce this every now and then.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I always had cats when I had my old spoo. He used to love the cats and was fantastic with them so I would let them play. It turned from play to hunting after he was about 2yrs old and from them on could never be trusted alone with the cats again. He never hurt them but I could tell it was different. He would stalk the cats as well as just stare at them with a look in his eyes. I don't know what changed but it did and no matter what I did I couldn't change his view of the cats back.

I still have cats and now have 3 dogs. My shar pei, Xin, is so easy. The cats were never an issue with her. Its as if the cats can't see her and vice versa, she couldn't care less. Mercury is yhe same way. The first time he met a cat he smelled him and walked off. The 1st time he met my parents cat Fred freaked out hissing etc and Mercury walk on by. Cat? what cat?

Jupiter is another story. Everything is a chew toy to him so I am having to be firm with him. Sometimes it's not easy because one of my cats LOVES to get him in trouble and Im not always as aware of stuff going on as I should be. Ghost Freat, the cat, teases him by sticking her paw under doors, smacks him with her tail, steals his food/balls, and generally acts like the snot she is. I actually have a command "no cat" which is helping a bit. I think Xin and Merc think Jupiter is a bit odd for being so goofy.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I wouldn't allow it either. Opi is the only cat Harley is allowed to play with, and there's no chasing. Opi is a tough guy and he loves dogs. He will run up to Harley, or any large dog, and flop over in front them. Harley perks up when the cats run, but I correct him. He's crated or outside, when I can't supervise.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I don't allow it. Doesn't matter who the instigator is, the dog needs to learn it's not acceptable. Ever.

I had a 27 yr. old cat (Babe is now at The Bridge), and a young male feral that I was able to capture from the property at work. Babe loved to sleep on the Poodles, who were so very gentle with her. Once Tommy (feral) settled in, he'd leap on the Poodles, then jump off during play. I had to work with Tommy about getting rowdy in the house, just as I worked with the Poodles. I'm pretty sure that Tommy thinks HE's a Standard Poodle, too! He's about as big as Beau's head, but he commands respect! lol Here's Tommy!:
Lucia 008.jpg

Lesly & The PooDells
Maddy, Beau, & Lucia!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Your Tommy sounds a lot like my Booger, lol! He is a horrible brat and torments my two female cats, but I adore him. He just showed up at the back door, bawling his little head off. I had some kitten chow left over from the girls, so I brought him in and fed him. Fortunately, I wasn't able to locate an owner. (I would've had to resort to bribery to keep him.)

·
Registered
288 Posts
I've had a few over the years who just showed up at my door like your Booger! I'd always had dogs, so I just treated them like the dogs. They came when called, sat, etc. I took in a stray female who turned out to be pregnant, and all 5 of them would come running to me when I called out to them! Visitors would be floored by this, and tell me that cats just don't do that. Who knew? LOL

Lesly & The PooDells
Maddy, Beau, & Lucia!
And Tommy, Too!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I think I missed an important distinction (before you all think I'm a terrible cat mom), and that is that Teddy and Mickey play together but there really isn't any chasing going on. The cat is free to walk around without being stalked or pounced upon. They play, they stop, they go about their business, they sleep (often together), they eat together, etc., etc. They are also closely supervised and if the play seems to be getting too rough, I step in and calm Teddy down.

I'm sorry that all of your dogs are not cat lovers because it's such a wonderful thing to see them behaving like siblings. :)

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
See now I've seen that "look" in Harry's eye and I call him out of it because it worries me. Today I let her out and have been correcting his chasing and she's been flying around him like a mad cat to get him to chase her but he is over here laying down by me. I think Mia doesn't really care about the cat at all but she's still just a puppy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts