Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"A Golden/Labrador Retriever does something because they want to make you happy; a Poodle does something because you tell them to."

(you don't have to agree with my punctuation, I'm never quite certain if I get the ; in the right place. ;))

·
Registered
918 Posts
I agree with the first part, Goldens and Labs are usually eager to please. I find that my Poodles seem to think a little harder before doing what I ask. They take a little time to figure out if they agree with what I'm asking them to do LOL.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
No, being a groomer from a point of labs.. labs do something because they always have somewhere better to be.

Me: Sit
Lab: NO! By getting to that door over there I am three feet closer to somewhere else! *chokes self*

·
Registered
289 Posts
I notice that when I ask Fly to do something, she will think about it for a second or two like "hm, do i want to do this?". She usually listens though. I think the statement above is true to a sense. Poodles are smart dogs, probably the smartest I've owned, but I do see that mine is happy to please.

·
Registered
86 Posts
How about "A Golden/Labrador Retriever does something because they want to make you happy; a Poodle will think about it and get back with you later."

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Well I have one preforming poodle and two show poodles.
one of the show poodle will also be a preforming dog.
The other show dog is a therapy dog.

my preforming dog does everything I ask for as soon as I ask but not for the love of pleasing me but to get the treat hehe.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
No way..

I train with a bunch of Labs and Goldens and I think they usually like to "do things" because there is food involved. I feel like my Poodles "do things" because:

1. They want to please ME.
2. They like to work.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have one that does what I ask everytime because she doesn't want to get in trouble.
And one who will look me straight in the eye when I'm calling him, and then run the opposite way as fast as he can. He also slows down for me to catch up then takes off even faster.......

Maybe toys are different lol

·
Registered
258 Posts
No, being a groomer from a point of labs.. labs do something because they always have somewhere better to be.

Lab: NO! By getting to that door over there I am three feet closer to somewhere else! *chokes self*
I LOVE this, think i rolled on the ground for a good 15 min!! SO true!!

·
Registered
478 Posts

:rofl: So True.

In my experience poos are more the thinkers. Labs and Goldens do what you ask, but they aren't as smart. I groom a spoo that can get as wild as any lab, but as soon as I say sit. His bum hits the floor and he looks at me for whats next. I would have had to wrestle my lab to the sit before he would realize I was talking to him. :lalala::)

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
lol yeah, IMO the labs & goldens that are fast to do what they're told, is cos they're dumb enough to do whatever you tell them to without question! They don't even think 'why' or 'whats in it for me?' They were trained to sit when they were told to, so that's what they do!
Now, for those (labs & goldens) that HAVEN'T been trained to sit when they're told to sit, they are like trying to blow gently in the face of a charging rhino and expecting it to stop... lol!

Poodles are definitely smart, and they generally make sure it's worth while doing (either for their owner or for themselves, it seems to differ from poodle to poodle!)

Paris is a ham. If someone laughs at her, she'll do it again, except this time with a goofy grin on her face too. Which *is* very cute and she portrays her as the perfect circus dog, except when she plays up in the competition ring and someone ring-side laughs at her.... LOL! She does things cos she loves doing THINGS. Doesn't matter what, she just wants to do it. Doesn't really matter if you have a treat usually either, though a treat gets better responses cos then she's sure 'it's worth doing' rather than 'probably just fun'.

Gotta love poodles!

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Sort of agree

I have lots of experience with Goldens, and limited experience with poodles (have a 9 month pup), but I find Goldens much more 'serious' about being asked to do something, where my poodle is very happy to obey commands, but only because he knows that games or treats always follow. My rewards with Goldens could be farther apart; they seem to get gratification from just figuring out what it is you want them to do. With the poodle, if training isn't fun and challenging, his attention will wander.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I agree with cbrand. My sister's lab will do anything you ask as long as food is involved. Teddy sometimes turns down treats if he isn't in the mood. He still does what I ask him to do though.

And, btw, your punctuation is just fine. :)

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
My poodles are very different. Matrix is very eager to please. He will do just about anything for me to say "good boy!", treats are just an extra bonus.
With Mitch, he's stubborn as a mule. I think it's partly because he had no boundaries prior to living with us, but if there is "nothing in it" for him, he thinks long and hard before doing what I ask. Such a little bumbum.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Mister might be different, i ask him to do it and he does it. I think he is also eager to please like a lab or golden is.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I agree with cbrand.
Flip does what I ask him to because he likes to and wants to please me.
I think he also thinks everything is a fun game :)

I haven't seen a well behaved/trained golden or lab in ages.
That's saying a lot since I see them every day at work. :(

1 - 20 of 25 Posts