Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Puca has a habit of not eating in the morning unless I put him in his crate with his food. If he doesn't eat he vomits but food is always available. Vomitting happens maybe once every two/three weeks. He doesn't get into the trash or anything, he hasn't been off leash any where, and we don't regularly go to the dog park anymore. I don't think he's eating anything weird. He normally eats everything in the evening. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Is the vomit just yellow liquid? This is common and is just from an empty stomach. The typical way to help with this is to offer a small snack late at night before bed time.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the vomit just yellow liquid? This is common and is just from an empty stomach. The typical way to help with this is to offer a small snack late at night before bed time.
Some times its just bile. Other time it looks like there's a few pieces of food or treats.

·
Premium Member
23,405 Posts
Even with a few bits of kibble in it that is still probably what one would classify as hunger pukes. I don't think you need the vet, but if you want to make a more scheduled food routine then I would put food out for a limited period of time until your pup understands to eat now or lose the meal. Alternatively your pup could be like Lily who is meal fed and sometimes just skips a meal if she has mostly been in the house and doesn't think she needs the calories.

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
Always good to mention any concerns to your vet, but look up "canine bilious vomiting syndrome."

Gracie had it, but it was easily managed with a bedtime snack and minimal morning activity until she was ready to eat. Sometimes a morning snack is good to get the appetite going. You know when you almost feel too hungry to eat? A little something can soothe the nausea enough to get you properly hungry again.

Puppy Peggy also occasionally vomited in the morning, so we have her on a similar bedtime snack protocol. She gets a quarter cup of kibble—her favourite kind that we only feed by hand or as special treats—after she goes into her crate.

Unlike Gracie, she has no problem being active in the morning on an empty stomach. But she's still young. So we've gotten her in the habit of having a bit of wet food when she first wakes up. She can then graze on her kibble throughout the day as her appetite dictates.

Like Puca, she's much more enthusiastic about her evening meal.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your advice! I will try the bedtime snack and if that doesn't work and the frequency increases we will go to the vet.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Bobby has had this issue ever since he was a little pup. Never had a dog that had this before so I was quite worried but quickly learned it’s just something some dogs have. We faithfully give Bobby a bedtime snack otherwise he will puke bile. It happens a couple times a month or so, more so when he was little. If we don’t give him his snack at night we can be pretty much guaranteed that he will puke. I would just talk to the vet on your next visit, if nothing else, to give you peace of mind, unless of course things get worse as you mentioned. We talked to our vet at his regular check up and they just said keep doing what we are doing and if it did get worse, there is medication to help. Bobby eats 2 full meals and two regular snacks and that pretty much solves the problem.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
My vet from years ago said the same thing when Noel used to urp up somewhat regularly, A small bedtime snack reduced the somewhat regularly to infrequently.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So far we've mostly good but this morning Puca refused to eat and threw up bile twice. We have had a change in routine this last week. Normally he sleeps in his crate in the living room cause he is a LOUD sleeper (thrashing like a banshee, making the most obnoxious mouth noises by licking the air, snoring). But he was often disturbed by the activities outside and his middle of the night barking was worse than those things. So I have him sleeping in a dog bed next to my bed. Between 5:30-6:30 we get up, potty, and he goes in his crate and gets breakfast. Then I go back to bed until 8 or 9. He ate everyday except today. Now when offered a treat he'd happily eat but didn't want kibble for whatever reason. I don't think this was because of the routine change. Back in the spring I switched him from Instinct original to Purina Pro Plan cause he just stopped eating. I can't keep wasting money on food by changing it every couple months. Really not sure what his problem is.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
When my pups do the occasional urp up as I'd mentioned before, I don't worry - unless something else changes also.
If they continue vomiting that day, if they won't eat, if they're not otherwise acting ok, I will be on the phone with the vet.

Reactions: Puca pu

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
I can't keep wasting money on food by changing it every couple months. Really not sure what his problem is.
This is very much part of having a poodle. They are smart and sensitive and will tell you when a food isn't working for them.

I recommend buying the smallest possible size so you don't spend more money than necessary. And don't expect your poodle to wolf down every meal like some breeds do. Peggy is much happier grazing on kibble throughout the day, adjusting her intake according to her needs. (When she was a puppy, especially, this fluctuated dramatically with her growth spurts.)

Lots of Poodle Forum poodles aren't much interested in breakfast. Peggy shifted to a lunches for months before showing interest in breakfast again. And that's when we decided to start feeding a very small wet breakfast and dinner, and put out a separate bowl of kibble for her to eat throughout the day.

You've only been feeding a bedtime snack for two days now, right? Seems a little early to declare that it's not working. :)

·
Super Moderator
3,483 Posts
My cat used to do this whenever I have bought her kibble that has food coloring, and I've noticed my dogs went on hunger strikes from a lot of different kibble brands. I don't know if Puca is developing a sensitivity to his kibble, but if you suspect this, I've had good luck with Royal Canine Puppy kibble. They love it, never overeat it, and never vomit. Also I additionally feed them some baked chicken or other leftover meat each day so they don't get bored with their food.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
If he likes the food and usually eats it, and if the vomiting remains primarily on the once every 2-3 weeks and has done that on other foods, then I'm not sure changing food is the answer. Changing food isn't wrong but it can be two ways. One is that it inadvertently sets up a picky eater situation if you start making changes only due to that. The other side of that is to rotate foods before pup starts refusing. I rotated two different kibbles with my boys when they were younger but eventually switched them to a single kibble for their two daily meals but the topper rotates daily.

If you feel that his food needs to be changed and if you're buying from one of the big box stores or Chewy, they all have a policy of accepting returns on non-prescription food if there's still a substantial portion left, usually over half. Transition any change in the usual slow method.

This policy may have changed but it's been there for the very reason of finding a food that is liked and tolerated.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If he likes the food and usually eats it, and if the vomiting remains primarily on the once every 2-3 weeks and has done that on other foods, then I'm not sure changing food is the answer. Changing food isn't wrong but it can be two ways. One is that it inadvertently sets up a picky eater situation if you start making changes only due to that. The other side of that is to rotate foods before pup starts refusing. I rotated two different kibbles with my boys when they were younger but eventually switched them to a single kibble for their two daily meals but the topper rotates daily.

If you feel that his food needs to be changed and if you're buying from one of the big box stores or Chewy, they all have a policy of accepting returns on non-prescription food if there's still a substantial portion left, usually over half. Transition any change in the usual slow method.

This policy may have changed but it's been there for the very reason of finding a food that is liked and tolerated.
He is more than happy to eat the kibble if I mix in some peanut butter but he will only eat the pieces with peanut butter. Maybe I'll try adding some toppers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts