Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard a few times recently that red poodles have more health issues. I tried researching this and what I seem to find is that a lot of reds are bred for color and so health issues are overlooked. I'm hoping this is just the case for irresponsible breeders and that if you get a red from a responsible breeder they aren't more likely to have health problems. Can anyone comment on this or has heard this before?

I previously had a red poodle with a ton of health problems but I believe he was from a puppy mill originally so I'm sure health was not considered at all when breeding.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Statistically, yes. There are a lot of unscrupulous red breeders compared to other colors because that color is very in demand. Thus, there are more red poodles with health issues than other colors with health issues. However, if you go with a responsible breeder who health tests their dogs, then it should be much less of an issue, since they would have ruled out the primary issues that plague the breed. Whew-that was a lot of the same word. 'Issue' is starting to sound fake now. I wonder if that's an issue...

·
Premium Member
23,795 Posts
There are some red breeders who are doing a lot to improve health concerns (trying not to say issue Floofy), but yes when red became an in demand color there were a lot of hinky things going on.

FarleysD, NOLA and Arreau are members here who have done a lot of good work on red standards.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
As you're looking for red minis or toys, I would look at Danube, DiMarnique, Shiann, Patriot, Zamora. All should be fully health tested. My black boy is from Danube and I can say for certain her red lines are smaller and she does full health testing though it isn't always on OFA (I know I know...). I met one of her new red show champions when I picked my dog up and she was very sweet.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As you're looking for red minis or toys, I would look at Danube, DiMarnique, Shiann, Patriot, Zamora. All should be fully health tested. My black boy is from Danube and I can say for certain her red lines are smaller and she does full health testing though it isn't always on OFA (I know I know...). I met one of her new red show champions when I picked my dog up and she was very sweet.
Thanks for these suggestions! I reached out to DiMarnique's but she said she had no litters at this time. I'll look into contacting the other places.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Thanks for these suggestions! I reached out to DiMarnique's but she said she had no litters at this time. I'll look into contacting the other places.
It is unlikely anywhere will currently have litters on the ground with spots open, but they will be taking lists for next year's litters.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts