Poodle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know enough about dogs. The thread about the poodle being neutered and not wanting to stand up had me thinking because I noticed Basil's poop schedule was off beat when she went through heat. I contributed 90% of it to the fact she was sitting around more so the poops were jostling out at their normal rate.

From what I understand it - Due to being more a couch potatoe, she wasnn't burning as many calories, therefore she wasn't as hungry, therefore less ruffage was moving through here, so her popp schedule seemed less predictable at different times. Is that right?

Other factors could included hormones - obviously - to which degree, I don't now.

So, I guess my question is, is it safe to assume that when a dog goes under some life event where their less active like after a neuter or after a surgery or being spayed or in "couch" mode of being in heat, that their poop routine will start to be less regular and predictable due to inactivity?

I have our 3rd heat coming up and our unscheduled spay in the future.

We had a messy 2nd heat.. Ms Poopy butt at 1:30am during the summer of the "Seattle heat wave" (omg)
Dog Kitchen appliance Carnivore Working animal Dog breed

·
Registered
438 Posts
Just double checked with 'mum', Poppy's poop schedule remained normal during her heat.
Some of her poos were a bit softer than usual.
She certainly was a lot less active, being on the lead for nearly 4 weeks, and somewhat less playful indoors.
Before her season she weighed in at 7.4 kg.
Post heat her weight went up to 7.8Kg - down to lack of 'zoomies' and maybe water retention.

I guess though that it would not be unusual for poop schedule to be interupted by such events as season, spaying, or some other major event like moving home ?
Same for us ?:)

Wow, 3rd heat?
Gosh, you're brave!
Up to Poppy having her first season I was somewhat anti spaying - 'can't put our little girl through such a thing, major operation for the girls....'
Halfway through her season I wanted to get the spaying booked!
Felt so sorry for her, mostly because no 'fun'.
And really if you are not going to breed then why 'run the risk '?

'Ms Poopy' - yup, can well imagine that was a moment... but such an endearing image:)

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
3,712 Posts
I don't think it is as long term as weeks. Mia poos in the morning after a good, short run, but if I have to walk her on leash, she won't poo. On a rainy weekend when we don't get out much, she can hold it for days - and become quite gassy! It's called runner's runs for a reason.

·
Registered
Evelyn, sable standard poodle
412 Posts
I would usually have Evelyn sprint a bit if I needed him to poop in a hurry, but I don't remember any inconsistency in his poops directly after neuter. It may be that I wasn't as vigilant about when he poops as you are and didn't notice. My awareness of his schedule is limited to once in the morning and once in the evening.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I didn’t really notice a change during heat cycles. My only problem was reminding my kids to take the diaper off before letting them outside 🤦‍♀️.

I didn’t have Sandy spayed until after 7yrs and I sorta regretted having it done. As soon as she was spayed she developed tumors (within a month) and after having those removed she’s developed another on her surgery scar. She is almost 10 so I’m worried about more surgery. It might be a hernia..but I am not sure. Not to mention the weight gain ….and to me it seems like she has way more accidents than she used too.

·
Registered
8,056 Posts
There wasn’t a change in Beckie’s bowel routine, or any dog I’ve had that I can remember. My guess is maybe something else happened ? Even if the routine changed, there shouldn’t be diarrhea. Stools should still be firm.

Are you planning on spaying her ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts