Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting a poodle to be an ESA. I want to know if poodles bond to only one person and if they do is there a way to control who they bond to? I don't want to get a poodle and have it bond to my mom and not me. since we would be getting a dog specifically for me you could see why it would not be fun if it didn't like me. I just want to know because my mom is really skeptical about getting a poodle because she read that they bond to one person and don't like other people. I really want a poodle not only to help with my anxiety but because they are really great dogs. If anyone has an answer for me please tell me.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Our poodle has bonded to both my husband and me. We both take care of him and walk him. He sits with each of us, sometimes moving from one to the other if we offend and move too often.

I'm responsible for his training; my husband feeds him.

We each secretly believe that he loves us best.

If you do the walks and food and middle-of-the-night comfort, then he will view you as his mom.

·
Super Moderator
6,293 Posts
Peggy bonded tightly to my husband first, possibly because he slept next to her puppy crate that first week and took her out for middle-of-the-night potties.

I'd actually sort of resigned myself to being a third wheel when suddenly she started "picking" me. Now she divides her time evenly between us both.

I think if you dedicate yourself to ensuring his or her doggy needs are met, your poodle will love you. Just keep in mind that first year can feel pretty thankless.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Poodles tend to bond with whoever is taking care of it. If your mom feeds it, walks it, plays with it, and you don't, then the poodle will prefer your mom.

But be aware that poodles can be a poor choice people with extreme anxiety. Poodles are prone to anxiety themselves and will pick up on the anxiety of people around them. If you are not an experienced dog owner and trainer, you can mistakenly train your poodle to be anxious.

·
Super Moderator
1,777 Posts
My experience is that poodles bond to whichever human is giving them the most good quality attention. When we first got Pogo he bonded to me, because I worked with him the most. I taught him his basic commands. I played with him. I took him on walks. He was wilder than Snarky, so I took him to obedience class and left Snarky home with my husband.
I wasn't entirely satisfied with Pogo's behavior after he completed his class. Plus, Snarky and my husband still hadn't had a class at all. I enrolled all four of us in the same basic obedience class, letting hubby work with Pogo (as Pogo knew the commands from the first class) while I worked with the very green Snarky. Shortly after that, my job changed, so I started spending a lot more time out of the house. Pogo reacted to the changes by shifting his allegiance to my husband, and Snarky adopted me instead.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My experience is that poodles bond to whichever human is giving them the most good quality attention. When we first got Pogo he bonded to me, because I worked with him the most. I taught him his basic commands. I played with him. I took him on walks. He was wilder than Snarky, so I took him to obedience class and left Snarky home with my husband.
I wasn't entirely satisfied with Pogo's behavior after he completed his class. Plus, Snarky and my husband still hadn't had a class at all. I enrolled all four of us in the same basic obedience class, letting hubby work with Pogo (as Pogo knew the commands from the first class) while I worked with the very green Snarky. Shortly after that, my job changed, so I started spending a lot more time out of the house. Pogo reacted to the changes by shifting his allegiance to my husband, and Snarky adopted me instead.
Ok. I will definitely be 100% in charge of everything that has to do with this dog and that's always been the plan. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Poodles tend to bond with whoever is taking care of it. If your mom feeds it, walks it, plays with it, and you don't, then the poodle will prefer your mom.

But be aware that poodles can be a poor choice people with extreme anxiety. Poodles are prone to anxiety themselves and will pick up on the anxiety of people around them. If you are not an experienced dog owner and trainer, you can mistakenly train your poodle to be anxious.
Ok, Thanks for the advice. I will definitely be in charge of all things dog when I get the dog. my mom wants nothing to do with any dogs so it shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Based on my experience, it really depends on the personality of the individual dog. Out of the 5 dogs I have had in my life, only one of them ended up being very bonded to one specific member of the family and never really bonded with other people living in the house. That dog was a poodle mix. All of the rest of the dogs I have had in my life have bonded with all family members who played with them, pet them, fed them, etc. Just make sure to spend quality time with your pup, and I personally believe it's not a bad thing for dogs to be bonded with other people as well. In my case, both of my dogs trust specific family members, which is good because they are my dog sitters during the day.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Our girls were nearly two when we brought them home. Noel picked DH as her primary person, Holly picked me. They were both happy to be with either of us, but had favorites.

Fast forward to when we were looking again. We were still in contact with our girls breeder and she recommended going for a puppy for the reasons noted above. We hoped that the new addition would bond with both of us. Although we ended up with two little mini boy puppies instead of just one (not a recommendation for the inexperienced, fyi), by sharing responsibilities, they looked to both of us and bonded with each of us, as we hoped.

I'm not sure if it's more accurate to say there are no favorites, or that we're all each others favorites.

And I agree that it's very important for the puppy to be accepted by everyone in the home.

·
Registered
394 Posts
My Raffi is most bonded to myself and my daughter. We are the ones that did his training.
However he still loves my husband and other kids, who play with him and take turns feeding him.
He is definitely not a dog that loves everyone he meets (although he would happily play fetch with nearly anyone lol), but like others have mentioned, I think he would be stressed to live with someone who didn't like him. He's a little more... tightly wound I guess?... than most of our previous dogs. There are positives and negatives to that 😉

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I suppose I was taking a risk getting Misha because my boyfriend is not a dog person and wanted nothing to do with a dog. But it has turned out well. Misha was determined to love Ben despite the lack of reciprocal affection. Over time he has seemed to win Ben over somewhat. Now Ben regularly gives him attention and finds it hard to claim he doesn't like him! Ben knows how hard Misha tries to be a good dog and do what Ben wants. It is hard not to love him. But Misha still makes it very clear that I am his person. Ben says he is always so sad when I am gone even if Ben is home. They have slowly started to snuggle together though which is very sweet. And Ben likes to have him do tricks and give him treats. But he always looks to me for direction. I am happy with this arrangement.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts