Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of the posts I am reading most of you do all of the grooming yourself? I dont know if I have it in me off the the bat? Do most Poodle owners groom their own, is it a hobby that comes along with the dog?

·
Registered
912 Posts
I am a part-time groomer by default, we opened a small boarding kennel 6 months ago and I bought a hydrobath so I could bath the boarding dogs if the owners wanted before sending them home. BUT we live in a small town and word got around that I would clip off dogs also so now I get the mostly feral small white fluffies to clip back to the skin once a year - go figure :banghead:

The closest real groomer to me is some 500km away so no other option for me but to groom him myself. Having said that I love doing it and although he doesn't always look like the polished dog I imagined before I start with the scissors or clippers I just keep thinking the fur will grow back and I can have some more practice. I would love to be able to take him back to his breeder for a touch up and to put him into a proper puppy show clip for the next 5 months but she is over 800km away and we won't be driving there anytime soon so he has to make do with my skills :tongue:

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I'm a professional groom so I groom my own dogs ;) The most you would need to do between Pro grooming visit's is brushing, but even a lot of owners don't even go that far.

Also it cost to take a dog to a Pro groomer so most standard owners end up doing some in home grooming to lengthen the time between Pro grooming to save a bit of money. Depending on where you live it can be quite costly for a Standard.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sarah and I have done Bear's ourself a few times. Since it takes so long to brush him out, bathe him, dry, then cut we usually have it done. There is a lady a couple of blocks away that does a good job for a very reasonable price.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Dog grooming is a hobby of mine and I hope to make it
someday a profession. When you own a poodle, I think
grooming is something everyone usually just learns over
time to do themselves rather than make some expensive
trips to the groomer ( I know the one here is expensive...)

I think you have it in you to groom, just look at some
tutorials online, pose questions and ask advice and
you'll be doing good! Were all here to help you the
best we can! :)

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
The most you would need to do between Pro grooming visit's is brushing, but even a lot of owners don't even go that far.
Thats the honest truth!!!!!!!!

I groom Jazz mmyself but I too am a pro groomer. I take her to my salon with me almost every day and Fridays are her day to be at the very least bathed.
The place where I work is also a self serve dog wash. If you can find something like that in your area it's a great idea to do some of the in between stuff yourself. Our place offers everything you need and for an addition charge you can use a pair of clippers or you can bring your own. We have quite a few people that come in every two weeks, one visit for grooming with me and the next visit they do it themselvs just to maintain the coat.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Im a newer Poodle owner only being in the breed for about 14 months. When I first got my Standard boy he went to the groomer. Luckily I found a GREAT groomer just a few blocks away from me. She charges about 65.00 for a full groom. This groomer shows/owns miniature Poodles so I can rest assured my boy will come home looking great every time.

However, I found that I wanted to show Poodles in the future (along with that comes grooming) or hobby grooming at the least. So buying my own Poodle grooming supplies was a must have. My first real grooming on my boy was the Continental cut. I did a darn good job for my first grooming attemp. (i was surprised) Thats when I figured...shoot I can do this. lol

Lately, Ive been lazy and haven't been keeping up on my boy. He's been going 3 weeks between face/feet shaving. (I used to groom him weekly) My grooming set up is in my garage and its been cold out there. Brrrrr!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
secreto you were lucky to find a groomer like that.... I'm ashamed to admit what I charge for hand scissoring on a standard... and the continentals I do... $$$

I'm not surprised you were able to do a nice job on your first cont. clip.
Honestly a continental, or for that matter a lot of the other trims aren't rocket science in themselves. Setting the pattern is easier than it looks, so long as you can follow instrustions on what to shave and what not to shave. I can knock the pattern work out on a fully coated dog in a matter of minutes. It's the scissoring thats the hard part and the shaping everything. I had difficult time the first time I scissored the rosettes on the the hips. Sometimes I catch myself shaping the cuffs different shapes even now.. It drives me batty to realize I did three round braceletts and the one I'm working on now is oval shaped LoL!!!

Poor Jazz hasn't had her face and feet clipped in three weeks either... I was trying to let it grow out so that when we touch up her dye job that hair, which is likely to get stained, (especialy on her feet,) when we rinse can be clipped off and will protect her foot from being dyed lol.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
secreto you were lucky to find a groomer like that.... I'm ashamed to admit what I charge for hand scissoring on a standard... and the continentals I do... $$$

I'm not surprised you were able to do a nice job on your first cont. clip.
Honestly a continental, or for that matter a lot of the other trims aren't rocket science in themselves. Setting the pattern is easier than it looks, so long as you can follow instrustions on what to shave and what not to shave. I can knock the pattern work out on a fully coated dog in a matter of minutes. It's the scissoring thats the hard part and the shaping everything. I had difficult time the first time I scissored the rosettes on the the hips. Sometimes I catch myself shaping the cuffs different shapes even now.. It drives me batty to realize I did three round braceletts and the one I'm working on now is oval shaped LoL!!!

Poor Jazz hasn't had her face and feet clipped in three weeks either... I was trying to let it grow out so that when we touch up her dye job that hair, which is likely to get stained, (especialy on her feet,) when we rinse can be clipped off and will protect her foot from being dyed lol.

Thats what I have found too. After you get the out line done, you just shave away. I did realize things like, I went a little lower then I should of when shaving the upper leg. Now I just remember to leave more rather then shaving it and not being 100% sure where to stop.

Im not surprised that you charge more for a standard poodle. There is another groomer in town that I liked but she charges 110.00 for a full poodle groom. I liked how her standard looked but not for 110.00. lol

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
even I wouldn't charge $110 for a basic groom. It would have to be something more complicated for me to charge over 100. Although there is a "chop shop" as I call it down the street from my house that does shave down for $115 dollars. One of my regular clients made the mistake of taking her poo there and she asked for a face feet and tail, and a little scissoring along the outline. The dog was in a beautiful full puppy for show. OMG, they did a #10 all over on an unmatted dog cut the topknot off so that it could no longer be tied up and then charged her that gawd awful amount of money. Their excuse? Well the dog will be cooler and more comfortable without all that hair. It's taken a year to grow him back out. Poor lady, she was soo upset.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I would be livid if I got my dog back like that! I have new clients tell me about their mishaps with other groomers and its amazing what they get! I don't think I am that good of a groomer and people just rave about what a good job I do, so that makes me wonder just how bad those other groomers are XD

I would say any where from $60-$80 is a good price for a Standard in any coat other then a Sporting.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I would have been seething (sp) if I went to get my dog and they'd done that, I'm getting mad just thinking about it LoL. I wish I was closer to you pro's cause I'd love for someone who knows what their doing to give T a bit more shape, that I could then follow for a month or two. Anyway it'll be bath and scissor time this weekend again so I will see if I can show some more tuck up, and perhaps take some off his chest and angle some more on his rump.

Does anyone use snoods on their poos? I want to grow T's ears out, have not cut anything off them yet and they are starting to get into everything eg. water bowl, food so need to keep them up out of the way a bit more I think if I am going to have any hope of saving the fur.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I beveled Jazz's ears roundish shortly after getting her to give them more shape, now I really regret it. They look awful all the time, curly and straggely and I'm hoping to grow them out and try again. I don't have a snood yet though, will have to wait until febuary and get one at the local dog show since I won't be traveling to any for a while. One of my clients uses a hair tie to tie her dog's ears back in a pony tail when he eats. I can't wait to get a super sparkely snood, I've been wanting one for years and have always been annoyed at not having a dog to use it one. I brushed Jazz's ears five minutes before that picture in my avatar was taken and look at them! bleh!

·
Registered
912 Posts
Will try and find a pic of one when I get home. It's pretty much a material tube with elastic top and bottom that you fit over the head to enclose the ears keeping them safe and clean. I chat on an afghan thread (my next dog hopefully) they use them a lot for the ghans and have some great pics.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
to make sure you get what you want is it best to give the number for the blade or whatever being used?
If you know the number of the blade or gaurd comb yes. Really you aren't going to find much difference between say a 5 blade and a 7 blade or a 2 gaurd and a 1. Where you get the difference is when you wanted a fluffy pretty scissor trim done with a gaurd comb or by hand and you get a dog who has been clipped with a blade. The blade will leave a much less plush look. When I'm doing a consult and I can't decide if what a client is asking me for is a sort gaurd comb or a longer blade I ask "do you want it 'short but fluffy' with a plush look or do you want more of a smooth coated look" The blade will leave that "shaved" look but it won't be bald, just short and smooth.
Of course that a little oversimplified but you get the idea. Your best bet is to print out a picture and take it with you. Say I want this *show picture* - a lamb trim with clean face and feet and a #2 Gaurd or a #4 blade on the body and an inch on the legs which are to be well blended in.
That is, if you're interested in the lamb trim lol, otherwise edit to whatever haircut you had in mind and change the length to fit your needs.

Of course with a puppy I should probably mention that you aren't likely to get a whole haircut your first visit. I have my clients bring pups in every two weeks for face/feet/and tail trims to get them used to clippers and scissors and grooming in general. I greatly reduce the price for this to keep them comming without killing their bank account. I can usually do a whole haircut by the fourth visit. Sometimes I can do it on the first visit, but I usualy don't try. My biggest fear is getting halfway through a clip only to have the dog freak out and not allow me to finish.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
omg, those are hideous!! Do poodles ears get yucky a lot from their food? Are the snoods only worn when it is feeding time?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts