Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Is there anyone out there who is NOT a professional dog groomer and grooms their poodles by yourself?

I am planning on attempting this. I am sure it could be disastrous. I plan to have my spoo in a "kennel clip" i believe it is called? And pretty short, with just long ears and a poof on the tail.

Any advice? Am I kidding myself to think I can do this? I am a stay at home mom, so I have plenty of time. I am getting my puppers in nine days!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Nope, you aren't kidding yourself! It can be done! I had no experience when I started clipping Kodi. I started with his face/feet/tail though, and not his whole body. Now I do most of my grooming myself. I do have a groomer who does them occasionally, when I don't have time, or I get in over my head! She knows I clip them myself and is willing to work with me. I've messed up a few times, and then you just cut them a little shorter!! The best thing with poodle hair... it grows!!!

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
I'm a beginner with grooming at home. In fact I just clipped my first FFF this weekend and I can honestly say, it went pretty well! Ruby was a gem considering, she had to put up with me being so slow! And I'm here to tell you, the grooming table makes ALL the difference!

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
I think there are lots of us on here who clip our own dogs - I do it very amateurishly at the moment, but am definitely improving. There are a number of threads with good advice on equipment (although you may want to borrow some clippers and have a go before investing too heavily). I have just ordered the bible of poodle grooming - Shirlee Kalstone's New Complete Poodle Clipping and Grooming - which has been highly recommended on here. The key, from my very limited experience, is to keep your dog well brushed and combed, so the coat is mat-free, and to bath and straighten the hair as much as possible before clipping. Then work on the principle that (a) it is a lot easier to take a bit more off than to glue it back on, and (b) it is hair - it will grow back!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I groom my dogs myself. We used to take them to get them professionally done every once and a while but it deff. saves you money doing it yourself. Poodle hair keep growing though!! So if you mess up you can easily fix it. You have the next 12-15(guessing) years to practice!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
if your not sure of your ability- get the dog groomed professionally andthen maintain between. as your comfort level increases try stuff yourself.

Really you can do decent looking clips with just clippers- set of combs (metal) nd then a pair of scissors for smoothing things out.. .

·
Registered
924 Posts
When i was grooming I gave lessons to some of my clients LOL! Just make sure you get a decent set of clippers... for a short trim you can just get a #10 blade for face and feet and tummy and a #4 or #5 blade for the body or my preference would be to use a clip on comb over the #10 blade for the body and legs. They come in sets so if you decide you want a bit longer or shorter you just change the clip on comb. The feet and head are the most tricky and you can get lots of good advice on how to do that here. If you dont want shaved feet the job is even easier... Most of all dont stress and have fun with your grooming...

I forgot to mention.. the hard part about the clip on combs is that there cant be any knots in the coat for them to work....

Sherry

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
My 8-month-old mini has never been to a groomer. I have been doing it all myself. I am not a groomer and I had never clipped or shaved or scissored a dog before I got my mini, although I did bathe and dry a lot of dogs and cats when I worked in a veterinary hospital when I was in high school and college. I do think the bath and blowdry is a really key aspect to being able to groom the hair properly.

I asked a lot of questions here, bought the poodle grooming book mentioned above and just jumped right into it. I am getting better and although his grooms don't look perfect, people who don't know any better ask if he's been professionally groomed, LOL. I find that every time I groom him I learn something via trial and error. I made him look really awful once, I cut his eats and top knot way too short, I nearly cried because he looked so bad, but a week later it looked slightly better and a month later it was all grown out again so I could start from scratch.

Also, I have found that I really enjoy grooming him! It's hard, but it's also a fun challenge. In the beginning, I just figured I'd keep him shaved down for the ease of it, but I love his plush coat and I don't mind the extra time it takes to keep it longer.

Here are some pics of my pretty boy:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I groom my dog my self and have always done. He might not look like a showdog, but I think its ok. Good luck! :)

PA- Your poodle and grooming is BEAUTIFUL!

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
well, my spoo baby has been professionally groomed since a baby and she now has an overly clipped tail like a lion tuft :(

i hope to start learning some basics so i can start working her how i'd like her to look ... and then if i screw it up too much ... it grows back!

·
Registered
551 Posts
I groom both my poodles myself, and am self-taught :)
I would love to take a few grooming courses, alas my work schedule does not allow for it.
Definietly get Shirley Kalstone's book, and personally I would invest in good equipment to start off with.
Good luck

·
Registered
114 Posts
I groom all 3 of my girls myself. For the longest time I just had my mini, and she just went to the groomer. Then I got my first standard and decided to start doing them myself. It's not as hard as you might think, plus I enjoy doing it! I do get compliments on how nice they look, and I even tend to agree now that I've been doing it for a couple of years. I bought good equipment, but it has paid for itself several times over now. Go for it!!

·
Registered
921 Posts
I too have always groomed my own. When I went from one to three, I went shorter being they were in the water all summer. I lost my red boy, and now have a mini who I'd like to keep in a more full coat, but will just have to see what his personality is like. If he is a go-getter, and also likes to swim, not fair to have him in a coat that requires a lot of care.
First photo when they were all in a sort of puppy cut.
Then went to , not sure, Miami cut?
My Three on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I groom both my poodles myself, and am self-taught :)
Definietly get Shirley Kalstone's book, and personally I would invest in good equipment to start off with.
Good luck
^^Same for me^^ - Suri's breeder told me once that I have the knack for it. That blew my head up and I purchased good quality grooming tools and boy what a difference. I will use a groomer from time to time - I am still afraid to attempt a few cuts.

Spoowhisperer - you have lovely dogs. My goal will be 3 spoos someday, I cannot wait to get my white girl!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good clippers?

Thanks for all the advice on grooming! What would you all consider a decent set of clippers? Do I need to go all out on the 200 dollar oster or andis or would a less expensive model work since I will be just grooming the one dog?

·
Registered
752 Posts
My two have never been to a real groomer either. I'm definitely not a professional, but I'm definitely better than I used to be. Also, I'll groom them, and then keep touching up for a week until I'm completely satisfied with it. I also learn something new every time I groom her. I'll try something and not like it, so I'll know what "not" to do next time. This month I saw a really cute bichon clipped in a way I've never tried before. Well, I tried it, and I definitely don't like it on my Cosita. Good thing it's just hair and will grow out! I really enjoy grooming them, and kind of look forward to when the hair is grown out enough to do it again!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Thanks for all the advice on grooming! What would you all consider a decent set of clippers? Do I need to go all out on the 200 dollar oster or andis or would a less expensive model work since I will be just grooming the one dog?
Both my Wahl's cost around $ 100.00, I have a corded that I use for the body and the Arco Moser which is cordless and I use for FFT (it stays very cool). Clipper brands are a personal preference. I like the Wahls, started with Andis, but like the way Wahl feels in my hand, and you have to think about how they sit in your hand. I have no experience with the Oster's, I do know that the old Oster's are work horses and people love them, but I have heard many complaints about the newer Osters.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I groom Sunny myself and it's not too hard especially if you just want short all over and a poof on the head and tail. I use a #10 on his face, feet, and base of his tail and a #4 or #5 everywhere else. The clipper I got was an Oster A5 1 speed because I wanted something that would never have to be replaced, maybe just repaired. I go my the motto "if you buy quality it only hurts once." I think it only cost around $100 plus a couple of blade at $30 each. I use scissors on his head and tail that I got at Sally Beauty Supply. Not bad scissors but after attending to the Nat'l Poodle Specialty in MD I'd like my next scissors to be from the Scissor Man, very nice scissors for a good price (some of them were only $30! and very smooth) -- no affiliation.

~Haley

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm self-taught, and groom my 3 Standards myself. I started with just FF&T between professional grooms with a cordless Wahl Arco, then started doing it all. The key to a nice groom is brushing, and, of course, getting the hair dried with a HV dryer.

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
I went to a show where all the big grooming equipemnt retailers had stands, and tried out the different clippers for how they felt in my hand - I was surprised at how much difference a small increase in weight etc made to the comfort of using them. I ended up choosing a more expensive set than I might otherwise have gone for, but there is not a huge difference between the prices here in the UK once you get up to even the semi-professional level, and I didn't want to have to buy again. I think it's worth handling them while they are running if you can - gives a much better idea of noise levels, and whether they fit your hand. Now I just need to track down a Mini Arco ... !

1 - 20 of 29 Posts