Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If a shampoo says conditioning shampoo do I also need to use conditioner? Also, is it OK to use a human hair dryer on my poodle? The one I ordered still hasn't shipped.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I always use conditioner on the dogs but it is really diluted. If you think about it, using "conditioning shampoo" on my own hair still leaves a lot to be desired in terms of ease of brushing. I still use separate conditioner on my hair, even after using "conditioning shampoo". There is discussion in one of the groomer chatgroups on the web about the use of one of a Pantene conditioner you can buy at Walmart or the drug store for african-american hair on poodles. The reviews have been great apparently. For liability reasons, I stick with "dog" conditioners when I groom a clients' dog. But, I really don't think that "real" dog conditioners are made in a separate factory than "human" conditioners. Maybe I'm wrong.

Yes, you can use a human hair dryer - on the cool setting. It'll take a while to dry and you may not get the coat perfectly straight, but it is an option in lieu of a dog dryer.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I was just reading on the groomer forum that the pet product companies would have you believe that ph is all so important when it really isn't. Many things change the ph of something including water and many shampoos, including dog shampoos, have different levels of ph. I'm definitely going to try Pantene on my dog's coats. They have pretty good coats, we don't live in a dry climate but we live in a very humid climate. I'd like to see how well the Pantene works on their coats.

Let me tell you what works well if you don't have a high velocity dryer yet. Let the dog air dry (I'm assuming this is your dog) and then when he/she is still damp, dry on medium setting with a human hair dryer and brush the hair out straight as you are drying. The Shirley Kalstone's book says to use both to get the straightest hair since the heat in the human hair dryer helps to straighten and fluff hair.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, this is my dog. I will pick up some of the pantene while I'm out then. It's certainly cheaper than dog conditioner :lol: We had a major housetraining accident this morning, so he needs a bath, badly.

And thanks for the advice on the hairdryer.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How much should I dilute it? Part for part, so I get it right? I don't want him to be sticky. He's got about 3/4 inch coat all the way around.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Pantene is my favorite hair-line - LOL I have a "poodle hair" and it is not easy to manage it ! I tried about gazillion products out there - even ridiculously expensive ones - but I always come back to Pantene :) Maybe it really could be a solution for "real poodles" too LOL : ))))

I use the "green one" " SMOOTH" : ))

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yeah, try the Pantene marketed for african-american hair. The groomers on another grooming forum think it's the cats' meow for poodles in releasing the kinkiness of the hair.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
LOL - I never knew it was race specific !!!! Ha ha All races can have very curly hair !!!!

I actually thought it is for girls who just want extra smooth and silky hair (hence the name SMOOTH)- like ones that have those ultra sleek modern strait heir-cuts : ))) ! Actually - my younger daughter use that same shampoo for that purpose - her hair is strait , but this shampoo makes it so silky and and smooth - she is addicted to it LOL

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got the Pantene for AA hair (I believe it says "for women of color"). It worked great! He is super fluffy and soft. I got the one in the bottle, not the tube. I just used a tiny bit in a cup of warm water, and poured it over, worked it in a little and rinsed. The human hair dryer made his hair a bit fluffy, but I'm not looking for perfection.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
LOL - I never knew it was race specific !!!! Ha ha All races can have very curly hair !!!!

I actually thought it is for girls who just want extra smooth and silky hair (hence the name SMOOTH)- like ones that have those ultra sleek modern strait heir-cuts : ))) ! Actually - my younger daughter use that same shampoo for that purpose - her hair is strait , but this shampoo makes it so silky and and smooth - she is addicted to it LOL
Same here, and my daughter too......I never knew the difference with hair thing either - I switch from time time, I use color BUT I will be trying it down the road.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I got the Pantene for AA hair (I believe it says "for women of color"). It worked great! He is super fluffy and soft. I got the one in the bottle, not the tube. I just used a tiny bit in a cup of warm water, and poured it over, worked it in a little and rinsed. The human hair dryer made his hair a bit fluffy, but I'm not looking for perfection.
It makes perfect sence to me! Pantene has great conditioners! Curly hair or a kinky afro are very hard to maintain, I'm sure.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I got the Pantene for AA hair
Interesting - never saw that one in my Safeway :rolffleyes::rolffleyes::rolffleyes: !!!! Actually mine has Spanish on it "Isso e Sedosso " (sp.?) LMAO - I wonder if they have "special lines" targeted to different demographics depending of the parts of the USA LMAO !!!!

Just to make it clear LOL - I think that "color of the stripe" on the bottle for us should be the "code" LMAO Mine is GREEN ! I tried one for colored hair (even though I do not color ), extra moisture one, extra volume one - NONE are so softening as this "SMOOTH" stuff :)

Would hate that somebody spends money and does not get a result : )))

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Ooooooooooooh ... how interesting !!!!:rolffleyes: Now I am intrigued so much that I will check my local drugstore today LOL

Thanks Kpoo :)

·
Registered
575 Posts
As for human products on dogs, I would rather use something made specifically for dogs and coat type. Besides, by the time you spend the money on some of the higher quality human products, you can buy some GREAT products for dogs.

There are coat specific products (ie: drop coats, curly coats, etc) that are formulated for a particular type of coat. Poodle coats, for instance, need to be wirey for the best results when clipping/scissoring. That's what they coat is supposed to be like, not, soft. Using conditioning shampoo's and conditioner on a poodle, will make the coat to soft and limp and you'll never get a nice finish. Also, human products tend to build up on the coat, which will eventually make the coat harder to work with.

I use Isle of Dogs on all my curly and drop coated dogs, it can't be beat by any other product, human OR dog :)

If there are groomers bragging about using human products on dogs, then I'd probably steer clear if I was a client looking for a groomer. Chances are, they are willing to use other off-label products (like dish soap) as well.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Cameo - the idea to use Pantene conditioner came up as an ALTERNATIVE to dog conditioner - there are some people who don't have dog conditioner. If you read the entire post, I was the one who mentioned that "some" people in the grooming forums on the net had been talking about using Pantene for ethnic hair - they did NOT say whether they were using the product on the clients' dogs - probably they were using it on their own poodles. It does not necessarily mean they are terrible groomers. Don't paint them all with the same brush just because they are trying something different. Geez.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
And just on a side note, if you go to any handler in the country, chances are they use some kind of human product on a poodle. I've heard of them using Dawn dishsoap to get out all the gunk they put in to hold it up at shows. Dog products are nice because they package them all nice and everything but there are many human products out there that can and do beat them. Isle of the dog is expensive shampoo and conditioner and if you don't want to spend that amount of money for your pet dog, there are great human alternatives. Pantene is like $3 and some change. Big difference and I don't know why someone would want a pet dog to be wirey when you can make them soft? If you get limp hair get a clarifying shampoo and wash with that first.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts