Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I wanted to go through my list of grooming tools that I am slowly acquiring (I do not have everything listed so I am open to alternatives) and also ask a few questions to make sure I understand the process!!!

1. Andis clippers (22340) and a toothbrush to clean it :)

2. Wahl Blade Oil --- How often do you put this on the blades? Before, During, After?

3. Extra blades - #4, #10 (and more but I heard these are best for beginners)

4. Combs - Do you brush while wet, partially dry, fully dry? I brush Norman in the shower with his conditioner and while hes partially dry.

5. Detangle gel/spray (Cowboy Magic)

6. I do not have a dryer, I usually let Norman air dry. Is this good or bad for grooming? Should I get a dryer?

7. Table (47in x 24in) comes with neck and body holds

8. Bands - what are these used for, growing out the topknot? What are the pro and cons to them? Very confused on these :alberteinstein:

9. Nail grinder - This is always hard because all his nails are black but 2! How much pressure do you all apply? Also his clear/white nails shows me that his kwik is right next to the end of the nail... making me fear that is how all his nails are. If I grind or clip he will be bleeding. He is very active outside on the concrete. Should I be worried that I do not cut them enough? The concrete seems to naturally grind them..

10. Scissors - are these a necessity or just for detailing?

Is there anything that should be on my list that isn't? I have gone through this grooming forum many times and pieced some info together but still have questions on the oils, dryer, grinder, and bands!! Want to make sure I am fully prepared and I know yall are experts at advice!!

Thank you all in advanced. Hopefully this can help other newbies get a good idea of what they need in their toolkit!!

Registered
If you use the search function you鈥檒l find lists of what others recommended or bought.

After I use my blades, I clean with the brush and my vacuum then drop oil on, run clipper with blade to distribute oil and wipe excess off then store blade till the next time I groom. I鈥檓 a home groomer, maybe professionals have a different routine?

You don鈥檛 have to blow dry, especially if you keep your dog in a very short trim. However blowing the hair straight helps you achieve a more even, more professional look. It鈥檚 easier to maintain and brush hair that is straightened in between.

I love my Wahl mini Arco trimmer for feet, a mini bravura is very similar. Well worth the extra cost. I also love my Wahl bravura for face and sanitary trim on my minipoo.... so much lighter and more comfortable to use than my Andis. Many poodle owners can do a complete groom with their bravura. My dog鈥檚 fur is too thick so I had to buy the Andis for her body.

You need scissors to trim ears, top knot, pompoms and other areas as needed depending on what you are doing.

I don鈥檛 use bands, I trim the top knot. We do dog sports and they have limitations on how you band so for me it鈥檚 easier to keep a shorter top knot. My dog has very thick wiry hair so even a long top knot in damp weather stands up straight and neat looking.

I tend to use the dryer blow the hair straight and dry. For the ears I may use a comb or brush when drying because I turn the air speed down around the face and using them helps pull the hair straight while drying.

I use a snood to cover the ears when I dry my dog, if you don鈥檛 use a dryer you don鈥檛 need one

Lots of things to consider and you might change how you do things or discover new tools. In the meantime you have a good list.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent thank you!!

Looking into more forums using the search bar regarding my questions. I think it is time consuming to find the exact info I am looking for when the titles of the threads are one thing but the content inside may be different! Still on the hunt :)

Thank you so much for the information, especially regarding the blades and oils!

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Actually I have changed my mind on clippers. I am now going to go for the Wahl Bravura Lithium Clipper. I think this will be more suitable for me and I found a great package deal to include oils and a few extra combs.

Registered
I have found grooming much easier since getting a force dryer. Especially the legs. Blowing the hair straight helps you get an even cut. I also feel that scissors are somewhat of a necessity, but you have to get good ones. I've been using the Master Groomer blue titanium series. I just have the straights but I want curves as well. I second having a trimmer just for feet & face. I just use a normal bravura for everything right now, but even that is better than a full size clipper.

I wash then comb out then use a force dryer. Air drying will result in tight curls that mat more easily that are impossible to get an even clip on. I also just prefer the softer look of blown out fur.

I would also consider what you're doing with ear hair. I pluck mine, but some people just scissor it. I feel that mine has thick enough hair that I don't want it to impact his hearing. If you're plucking, you will want ear powder and maybe hemostats. Also I always use zymox after I pluck as per vet's advice.

I don't know about the nails. Mine does not grind his well enough on concrete. I clip a little every week. But he has black nails which are much harder.

EDIT: For the wahl bravura you definitely want the metal combs, not the plastic ones it comes with!

Registered
Actually I have changed my mind on clippers. I am now going to go for the Wahl Bravura Lithium Clipper.
I use the Bravura for face and feet, but for the body you may want to stay with the Andis. The Bravura has a 5 in 1 blade and you can't use any other blades with it. That means you will have to use an attached comb for the body. I find that if you are going to use a comb you really need a corded clipper or you won't be able to get through the coat--and if you use a corded clipper you can use a longer blade and won't need the comb.

If you are only going to have one clipper I think the Andis is a better choice.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I have found grooming much easier since getting a force dryer. Especially the legs. Blowing the hair straight helps you get an even cut. I also feel that scissors are somewhat of a necessity, but you have to get good ones. I've been using the Master Groomer blue titanium series. I just have the straights but I want curves as well. I second having a trimmer just for feet & face. I just use a normal bravura for everything right now, but even that is better than a full size clipper.

I wash then comb out then use a force dryer. Air drying will result in tight curls that mat more easily that are impossible to get an even clip on. I also just prefer the softer look of blown out fur.

I would also consider what you're doing with ear hair. I pluck mine, but some people just scissor it. I feel that mine has thick enough hair that I don't want it to impact his hearing. If you're plucking, you will want ear powder and maybe hemostats. Also I always use zymox after I pluck as per vet's advice.

I don't know about the nails. Mine does not grind his well enough on concrete. I clip a little every week. But he has black nails which are much harder.

EDIT: For the wahl bravura you definitely want the metal combs, not the plastic ones it comes with!
Thank you !! I will look into some quality scissors as well. I think that I will take him to a groomer to keep having them pluck his ears. I unfortunately have always battled him over me doing his ears so until that gets better I will have them it for him! Plus they do SO good with plucking! I get nervous hehe

I use the Bravura for face and feet, but for the body you may want to stay with the Andis. The Bravura has a 5 in 1 blade and you can't use any other blades with it. That means you will have to use an attached comb for the body. I find that if you are going to use a comb you really need a corded clipper or you won't be able to get through the coat--and if you use a corded clipper you can use a longer blade and won't need the comb.

If you are only going to have one clipper I think the Andis is a better choice.
Thank you reraven! I am having a hard time committing to either fully because they both have excellent reviews... may take that advice of having two for the face and body. I was thinking until I am confident enough in my skills to just stick with one clipper.. but I see many people using two types I would like to start learning sooner than later.. Do you suggest regular Bravura for the feet/face or the mini?

I found a Bravura that you can add steal attachments to.. are these not good?

Also I am curious as to if you find a blade or a comb better? If anything I have looked up the difference and am trying to think what is best for a beginner and what the difference in cut there is!

Registered
If it makes you feel better, I have and use three. My minipoos hair is too thick and wiry (she was a conformation dog and has that thick coat) for the bravura so I use a Wahl Andis for the main part of her body. I use the Wahl bravura for her face and sanitary area. I like that the bravura is so much lighter and cordless so it鈥檚 easier to manipulate and my dog prefers the decreased vibration and noise. I use the Wahl mini Arco for the feet. I would go nuts using the small clipper to do her face and sanitary because the normal size bravura is so much faster and I鈥檓 used to it. However I鈥檓 so glad I got the mini trimmer for her feet because it鈥檚 so much easier to use on those smaller complicated toes.

I used to have a tpoo many, many years ago, before the internet and I did her complete clip using a Wahl brand trimmer for humans that was cheap and sold at an outlet store. She had the softer hair some poodles, especially toys have so I didn鈥檛 need heavy duty clippers. I did her feet with the full size clipper but I have to say the smaller trimmer is a joy to use. If you can afford it, I do recommend it. Of course many professional groomers do everything with their full size clippers.

Reactions: SamieNorman

Registered
The quality of cut is the same, the difference is that you have to use a comb if you want to keep the hair longer than the blade length. I use a 7 blade or sometimes a 4 on the body. If you want to keep the coat longer than that you would use a comb. The Bravura 5 in 1 blade is 9, 10, 15, 30 and 40, so unless you want a basically bald dog you have to use a comb.

I don't like using combs because my dog's coat is so thick that they tend to snag and comb off of the clipper. The cordless Bravura doesn't have the power to get a comb through the hair, so if I use a comb I use it with my corded clipper.

In my experience (and I only groom my own dogs, not a professional) blades longer than 7 are hard to use. It is very easy to cut the dog because the teeth are longer and farther apart, and it seems like the blades get dull faster and don't sharpen well. That's why I don't often use the 4 blade. A 7 blade is quite short for the body, but that's OK with me because it takes longer for the hair to grow back.

Like Skylar, I have three clippers. I use an Andis for the body, a Bravura for face feet and sanitary, and a Mini Bravura for cleaning up and finishing the feet.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
If it makes you feel better, I have and use three. My minipoos hair is too thick and wiry (she was a conformation dog and has that thick coat) for the bravura so I use a Wahl Andis for the main part of her body. I use the Wahl bravura for her face and sanitary area. I like that the bravura is so much lighter and cordless so it鈥檚 easier to manipulate and my dog prefers the decreased vibration and noise. I use the Wahl mini Arco for the feet. I would go nuts using the small clipper to do her face and sanitary because the normal size bravura is so much faster and I鈥檓 used to it. However I鈥檓 so glad I got the mini trimmer for her feet because it鈥檚 so much easier to use on those smaller complicated toes.

I used to have a tpoo many, many years ago, before the internet and I did her complete clip using a Wahl brand trimmer for humans that was cheap and sold at an outlet store. She had the softer hair some poodles, especially toys have so I didn鈥檛 need heavy duty clippers. I did her feet with the full size clipper but I have to say the smaller trimmer is a joy to use. If you can afford it, I do recommend it. Of course many professional groomers do everything with their full size clippers.
I am sorry if I can afford which clipper? You talked about a few here and I want to make sure I am reading this correct. And right now price isn't really my issue as much as quality and capabilities. I would love to know which one you're referring to!! :) I think you're talking about the wahl bravura?

The quality of cut is the same, the difference is that you have to use a comb if you want to keep the hair longer than the blade length. I use a 7 blade or sometimes a 4 on the body. If you want to keep the coat longer than that you would use a comb. The Bravura 5 in 1 blade is 9, 10, 15, 30 and 40, so unless you want a basically bald dog you have to use a comb.

I don't like using combs because my dog's coat is so thick that they tend to snag and comb off of the clipper. The cordless Bravura doesn't have the power to get a comb through the hair, so if I use a comb I use it with my corded clipper.

In my experience (and I only groom my own dogs, not a professional) blades longer than 7 are hard to use. It is very easy to cut the dog because the teeth are longer and farther apart, and it seems like the blades get dull faster and don't sharpen well. That's why I don't often use the 4 blade. A 7 blade is quite short for the body, but that's OK with me because it takes longer for the hair to grow back.

Like Skylar, I have three clippers. I use an Andis for the body, a Bravura for face feet and sanitary, and a Mini Bravura for cleaning up and finishing the feet.
Thank you for the detailed explanation, I needed it. I would prefer to use a blade it seems, especially since they seem to be more user friendly. I prefer Norman's hair shorter, but not too short. So I think I need to experiment with #4 - #7 blades to see how I feel. Rather start too long than too short! But it all grows back thankfully!! :)

I think for now I need to look into what is good for an all around use(nothing too fancy yet) because it seems it always is between Andis and Wahl for what I am looking for.. I see benefits of both and just need to stop being so indecisive! I think I would prefer corded as well so this does help the matter some...

Thank you both graciously!! :angel:

Registered
The Wahl bravura and Arco are similar and can be used cordless which is a nice option. The wahl mini bravura and mini Arco are similar too. I bought what I found good deals on. Wahl has a page that compares them and you can see if there鈥檚 any features you prefer. I鈥檓 only grooming one poodle so the amount of And sped to charge that I need is less than a professional grooming several dogs in a day.

Reactions: SamieNorman

Registered
I am a novice home groomer, but here's what I have accumulated in the last 7-8 months:

A 20 year old Oster A5 golden - I use this for coat. I have 3f and 7f blades, and a 15 blade. I also have stainless steel combs, so can go up to 2" of hair. I find using a comb less stressful than using a 3f blade, but YMMV. You do have to have the hair perfectly straight. It heats up fast, so my mom, who gave me the Oster, long ago invested in duplicate 3f and 7f blades so you can change out a hot blade.

A Wahl Bravura - Annie HATES the noisy Oster on her face. She actually prefers the Oster on her feet, (I prefer the Bravura for feet). It is SLOW to use on her thick coat though, compared to the Oster, and I don't think it did as nice of a job. The plastic combs that came with it are useless.

Straight and curved shears - these are for tidying and shaping. I used to use very cheap ones that came with a grooming set, then went for sharper kitchen shears, but even my inexpensive (Kenchii Show Gear?) shears are much nicer to use.

Thinning shears- bought to use on Mom's yorkie. Work great on the yorkie, have yet to find a reason to use them on the poodle

Bands - little plastic ones (hate them) and also little girls' hair elastics, which is what I mostly use for Annie's topknot. A contrasting colour is nice.

Blade wash - for the Oster. The bravura claims it doesn't need it, the Oster definitely does.

Quick cool spray lubricant- never use it. Mom gave it to me with the clippers and she never used it either (i think the blades gum up when I use it)

Blade oil, of course - your clipper will have instructions, and usually come with a tiny bottle.

Pin brush, slicker brush and so many steel combs.... Honestly never use the pin brush, use the steel combs all the time.

Nail clippers

I keep everything in a fabric toolbag, which is great because I can put combs and shears and brushes, etc, in the outside pockets.

Things I want and have been trying to restrain myself from buying...

- A force dryer. Trying to comb and slicker Annie's hair flat as it dries is a huge pain... but they are a lot of money.
- A 30 blade for the Oster - the combs work better on this blade size. And a 10 blade (comes with most clippers).
- Dremel for nails - Annie's breeder recommended the construction type ones as being better than the pet ones. I am using nail clippers, and the last ones I had were too weak, and the new ones I bought are too strong and make it really easy to quick her.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
The Wahl bravura and Arco are similar and can be used cordless which is a nice option. The wahl mini bravura and mini Arco are similar too. I bought what I found good deals on. Wahl has a page that compares them and you can see if there鈥檚 any features you prefer. I鈥檓 only grooming one poodle so the amount of And sped to charge that I need is less than a professional grooming several dogs in a day.

Thank you!! I think I need to look at that comparison page to help me further. Right now I have have the Bravura more manageable for me and my lack of skill. Granted, if it doesn't work I can always look into something else!!! :)

I am a novice home groomer, but here's what I have accumulated in the last 7-8 months:

A 20 year old Oster A5 golden - I use this for coat. I have 3f and 7f blades, and a 15 blade. I also have stainless steel combs, so can go up to 2" of hair. I find using a comb less stressful than using a 3f blade, but YMMV. You do have to have the hair perfectly straight. It heats up fast, so my mom, who gave me the Oster, long ago invested in duplicate 3f and 7f blades so you can change out a hot blade.

A Wahl Bravura - Annie HATES the noisy Oster on her face. She actually prefers the Oster on her feet, (I prefer the Bravura for feet). It is SLOW to use on her thick coat though, compared to the Oster, and I don't think it did as nice of a job. The plastic combs that came with it are useless.

Straight and curved shears - these are for tidying and shaping. I used to use very cheap ones that came with a grooming set, then went for sharper kitchen shears, but even my inexpensive (Kenchii Show Gear?) shears are much nicer to use.

Blade oil, of course - your clipper will have instructions, and usually come with a tiny bottle.

Pin brush, slicker brush and so many steel combs.... Honestly never use the pin brush, use the steel combs all the time.

Things I want and have been trying to restrain myself from buying...

- A force dryer. Trying to comb and slicker Annie's hair flat as it dries is a huge pain... but they are a lot of money.
- A 30 blade for the Oster - the combs work better on this blade size. And a 10 blade (comes with most clippers).
See this is very important info regarding the dryer. I found few on amazon for under $50 that seem to be good quality so I may dip into one of those. His hair is extremely curly so I know that having it more straight would be the best option for us...

I already have some great hair scissors already, but am not sure I am going to need them my first few rounds... I would be worried to cut out a chunk of hair if he wiggled!

I have heard great things about the Oster A5 as well, but I think the noise would be an issue. That was the one main complaint I saw online that they were too noisy, especially making the dog uncomfortable with the face grooming.

I think for now I have a good idea of the Bravura and come steel combs for those longer hair cuts. I would like to start long, then go down as necessary, especially for a good cleanup!!

As for steel combs, I have never used one but have one coming in. I personally use a regular hairbrush.. dont hate me!!! I bought a brush with steel wiry brissels on it and Norman HATES it. He would bark at it and try to take it out of my hand. I was worried it was pulling is hair way too much and cause pain.. So I stopped using it and got a regular hairbrush which he would let me use on him! So hopefully this steel comb is more manageable for him?

QUESTION: So I was reading an old thread on here, I will find it if necessary, and someone said that the blade number you use under the comb/guard matters. Can someone explain how this works? I would assume that just using a #10 blade under any guard would work... no?? I will try and find that post

Thank you so much for the advice!! :adore: :adore: :adore:

Super Moderator
The only thing I didn't see mentioned was Quick Blood Stopper or Kwick Stop Styptic Power.

These help stop the bleeding quickly. Use in case you accidentally cut a toenail too short and it bleeds. It's a power in a container that's smaller than a prescription bottle and lasts a long time.

As for dryers, try to find the make and model on YouTube to see how it sounds. I bought a forced dryer two years ago, and it sounds like a hurricane; uncomfortable for me and the poodles. Even my groomer's force dryer doesn't sound half this loud.

Registered
I think for now I have a good idea of the Bravura and come steel combs for those longer hair cuts. I would like to start long, then go down as necessary, especially for a good cleanup!!

As for steel combs, I have never used one but have one coming in. I personally use a regular hairbrush.. dont hate me!!! I bought a brush with steel wiry brissels on it and Norman HATES it. He would bark at it and try to take it out of my hand. I was worried it was pulling is hair way too much and cause pain.. So I stopped using it and got a regular hairbrush which he would let me use on him! So hopefully this steel comb is more manageable for him?

QUESTION: So I was reading an old thread on here, I will find it if necessary, and someone said that the blade number you use under the comb/guard matters. Can someone explain how this works? I would assume that just using a #10 blade under any guard would work... no?? I will try and find that post

Thank you so much for the advice!! :adore: :adore: :adore:
Ok..... Again not an expert. I use steel comb almost exclusively for Annie. It takes out all the knots down to the skin, which you need to use a comb on a clipper. I then fluff her(not touching the skin) with the prickly slicker brush (which is I think what you have). I occasionally use her pin brush, which looks like a mini human hairbrush, but I still find knots with the comb after I am done. Google line brushing.

Personally, I find the bravura doesn't do a great job on my girls coarse and curly coat, but, again,it's not pin straight because I don't blow it, and I do only have the plastic combs which won't even penetrate. For the steel combs.... I use a 15 blade. A 10 blade would likely be too big, and the instructions that came with them say you should use a 30 blade.

Oh! Very important. I don't have a grooming table, I just use my kitchen table but I do use a grooming noose and grooming arm. It tightens on to the table edge and adjusts to her height and keeps her steady while I clip. Honestly, I don't really need it much now, but it helped boost my confidence a lot, and she was already accustomed from her breeder.

I would watch some videos before you start.... Some people do a really good job of pulling the dogs skin taunt before they clip for a better finish and less chance of catching the skin. I am trying to remember to do that!!!!

Annie's breeder is an Andis fan, and says the Andis clippers aren't as powerful but are much quieter and cooler than my oster.

If I were you, before you get your supplies, I would work on putting Norman on your table and handling him and brushing him, so he gets used to all parts being touched without wiggling. Way easier without the wggles!

Registered
A #10 blade works fine. I wouldn't go longer than that, because the longer and farther apart the blade teeth are the easier it is for the comb to slip down in between them and if it does that while the clippers are running the blade teeth will break off. Also the comb clips don't stretch enough to get the comb on if the blade teeth are too long.

Registered
I didn鈥檛 do much grooming beyond maintenance between professional grooms while my dog was being shown, yet the breeder (who is a groomer) recommended the equipment and I ordered most of it before my spoo came home. Like others have suggested, she mentioned the Andis for body clipping and the Wahl for FFT. I, too, have difficulty with combs clogging鈥攖hanks Reraven123 for the suggestion to change blades. Eventually I bought the mini, though I use it carefully because the blade isn鈥檛 adjustable and it produces a close shave.

My groomer doesn鈥檛 pluck, but trims the ear hair with scissors. Eventually I invested in a small pair of blunt-nosed scissors for this. It isn鈥檛 easy to do, but it鈥檚 the decision I made after researching (there are separate threads on to pluck, or not to pluck.)

I purchased straight and curved scissors from a vendor at a large dog show. I was able to test the feel of different scissors in my hand. Length is also a variable and I wouldn't have known the length that was best for me. It was good to speak with the expert on site.

Someone already mentioned using a snood with the force dryer. I use the happy hoodie, something that my groomer started with for the first groom. I also use Ice on Ice finishing spray when dry brushing and have a bottle of diluted conditioner to use while force drying, for parts of the coat that need to be dampened before drying/straightening.

It鈥檚 a lot of equipment and a large investment. I feel that I must get another poodle now that I have all of the gear! The only item that I didn鈥檛 get is an adjustable height grooming table. I鈥檝e researched the topic but decided, for now, that I don鈥檛 want a (electric/hydraulic) table permanently stationed in my living space, as I don鈥檛 have a dedicated grooming area. I use a folding table. It would be useful, however, to be able to sit during the long blow drys.

Registered
Just wanted to chime in and confirm what others have said already - the #1 tool to make a difference in the grooming (beyond which clipper - which combs etc) is the high force blow dryer. It is the only thing that differentiates what the professionals can accomplish and what you can do at home. Once I started using one it not only took drying time down to a tenth (?) but it makes the finish look professional (regardless of how clumsy you may be with the clippers). I bought a not too expensive one on Amazon (it was recommend on several threads here) and my only regret is that I waited so long to buy it. Only bad thing about it is that Louie endures it - but hates it...so I also bought a Snood for the noise..

Registered
1. Andis clippers (22340) and a toothbrush to clean it :)
I like Andis clippers the best. I tried some Osters again after years of thinking I didn鈥檛 like them and I was right. I don鈥檛 like them.

2. Wahl Blade Oil --- How often do you put this on the blades? Before, During, After?
yes. Or at least before and after. You want your blades well oiled. Dry blades get hot and dull faster and harder to clip with.

3. Extra blades - #4, #10 (and more but I heard these are best for beginners)
maybe an extra #10. You shouldn鈥檛 really need an extra #4. They don鈥檛 touch the skin so they can get warmer than the 10. Maybe a 5 or 7 blade a 4 is longer than I like but I like their body short.

4. Combs - Do you brush while wet, partially dry, fully dry? I brush Norman in the shower with his conditioner and while hes partially dry.
I don鈥檛 bush or comb in the bath. It鈥檚 too hard. I also don鈥檛 use a lot of conditioner because I find it makes the hair harder to dry. I only brush and comb when they are dry. I use a large 鈥淕reyhound鈥 comb (no idea why they are called that because you鈥檇 never use one on a greyhound.) and a slicker by Chris Christensen it has super long tines and I thought I鈥檇 hate it but I love it. (I need a new one). They are $$$$. About $60 but worth every penny!!

5. Detangle gel/spray (Cowboy Magic)
nope. Just brush them. But I also find when they do May that most mats will come out with little effort once clean. I only use a spray if I鈥檓 dealing with burrs/stickers. Detangling sprays get on the floor and make it slick as glass, so be mindful if/when you use them.

6. I do not have a dryer, I usually let Norman air dry. Is this good or bad for grooming? Should I get a dryer?
get a force dryer. Best money you鈥檒l spend (next to the $60 brush) unless you plan to keep them short all over. Then you should be ok without a dryer.

7. Table (47in x 24in) comes with neck and body holds
yes. Tables or some surface to groom on is a must.

8. Bands - what are these used for, growing out the topknot? What are the pro and cons to them? Very confused on these :alberteinstein:
bands are for holding their hair up if you want a long topknot. If you keep them trimmed you won鈥檛 need bands. Hazel has a rough natural topknot and she wears a hair band all the time so she can see. Some people also band ears that are long if they are going to give certain treats because dogs will accidentally chew off the ends of their ear hair while chewing certain yummy treats. (Billy sticks, I鈥檓 looking at you!)

9. Nail grinder - This is always hard because all his nails are black but 2! How much pressure do you all apply? Also his clear/white nails shows me that his kwik is right next to the end of the nail... making me fear that is how all his nails are. If I grind or clip he will be bleeding. He is very active outside on the concrete. Should I be worried that I do not cut them enough? The concrete seems to naturally grind them..
grinding is best for dark nails. You鈥檙e less likely to quick a nail and when you do you know it fast and it hurts less. You don鈥檛 really put pressure. You might try watching some YouTubes.

10. Scissors - are these a necessity or just for detailing
depends on what look you are going for. And if you plan to groom all the time or just sometimes. I only groom my dogs because all the groomers around me are pet groomers who do a worse job than what I can do for free. (I had to argued with one that Hazel is in a Miami and NOT a Continental. It was horrible and embarrassing and I had to google to prove her wrong because she kept insisting that the clip was called a Continental.). I like a rough look so I only scissor about once or twice a year and even then I only 鈥渢ake the tips off鈥. If I took her to a groomer I鈥檇 never scissor because I hate it. I鈥檇 let the groomer do it once or twice a year.

Is there anything that should be on my list that isn't? I have gone through this grooming forum many times and pieced some info together but still have questions on the oils, dryer, grinder, and bands!! Want to make sure I am fully prepared and I know yall are experts at advice!!
Some Cool Lube. I like the sister brand. Some groomers don鈥檛 like it because they feel it dries the blade out but it lets me groom longer and I just make sure to oil my blades. And a good blade wash.

Thank you all in advanced. Hopefully this can help other newbies get a good idea of what they need in their toolkit!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 26 Posts