Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Teddy is now 9 months, he's a standard.

It seems to me that every about 3 months, so far, he has stopped eating much of his dry food. Last time we changed to a different one and he gobbled it down eagerly, now 3 months later he doesn't seem to want to eat that food anymore?

Is this because we just haven't found the right food or do they just get bored.

He always eats his canned soft food and always eats the homemade food we sometimes provide. He even seems to like the older dogs food (what they leave when they are done) but for the two weeks or so he just won't eat his own dry food.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I personally don't think dogs "get bored" with their food. If you keep switching foods with him it will cause him to become a finicky eater. People like variety in their diet so we would like to think our dogs do too. There is a great discussion going on in another thread about a puppy who does not want to eat unless his mom is with him. He is trying to train his owners to do things his way. The solution is feed Teddy a good balanced diet (of what ever type you have chosen) and stick with it. Give him an allotted time frame to eat and then pick up the food until the next meal time. As long as he is not sick and is doing fine otherwise he will eat when he gets hungry enough. I know it's hard, we want to do all we can for our babies and take good care of them!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure we keep switching foods. IF we switch now this would be second switch. He ate something for the first 6 months then simply would not eat it at all. Now after 9 months he is gradually reducing the amount he seems to be "willing" to eat. The food he eats is probably not the best quality so I am interested in trying to switch him to a higher quality, still commercial kibble, food.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Although I don't think they get bored of foods and many people give in to their dogs demands because they are afraid they'll 'starve' I personally change kibbles and foods often to avoid food based allergies.....
Dr Karen Becker explains this in her video 'How to Control Food Allergies'
on youtube...........................Google it!!!!!

·
Registered
11,688 Posts
At nine months Teddy possibly needs to eat less, now his phase of fast growth is coming to an end. I am another believer in feeding different foods - nothing worse than finding yourself with a dog that only eats one flavour of one brand, an empty bag, and all the shops shut...! It is certainly possible to create a fussy eater by constantly offering "better" stuff - it is also possible that dogs can smell and taste a difference in formulation or deterioration in quality that is not apparent to us. They may also be intolerant of some of the ingredients, and avoid eating for that reason. I don't see any harm in ringing the changes, and changing brands and flavours around.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Are you always feeding the same formula of that brand? Lots of people do rotational feeding, where they change up the formulas within the same brand (so you're changing protein sources but the overall formula is similar) or switch brands with the same nutritional content. We're likely to start doing that with Archie soon, though I transition him slowly because his stomach can be a bit sensitive.

I do think that dogs can get bored of the same food all the time, but I also think you can create a picky eater by giving in too often, so it's kind of up to you how you want to handle it. I think if you want to switch for quality or health reasons, definitely do that. Just be a little more conservative about making switches for only taste reasons.

·
Premium Member
22,302 Posts
I have been feeding my dogs the same food for 6 years with no apparent boredom. I agree with Angel Aviary that if you make switches to accommodate that apparent boredom you may end up with real picky eating problems. As fjm mentioned nine month old spoo is at a point where he or she is slowing their growth rate significantly and that they need less food when they hit that slowdown.

·
Premium Member
5,613 Posts
maybe the kibble goes stale? years ago i brought home a bag of dog food and my dog refused to eat it. i finally stuck my nose not quite in the bag and realized that there was a rancid odor. the other incident i can think of is one evening a long time ago when my mother served a stew and i detected an odd odor and refused to eat. my dog also refused to touch meat from the stew! i tried to persuade my mother that that was proof she should not eat the stew. she told me the only reason my dog did not touch the meat was because of me. i wish! the next morning my mother told me i (and my dog) had been right, because she had been up all night with stomach problems.

i do believe you can "spoil" your dog - or your dog can train you to spoil him - but i have also learned to check the quality of any kibble if feeding from the same bag over a longer period.

·
Registered
10,255 Posts
When I was feeding canned and sometimes kibble, I switched their canned food every day...a different flavor, a few different brands. It all had basically the same stuff, but maybe different meats or a couple different vegetables. Some was smooth, some chunky with gravy. But they didn't seem to have any bad reactions and I do believe in variety because if it's only chicken, they're missing out on what beef has to offer or visa versa. There are different nutrients in each.

Now I'm feeding fresh, raw food I buy at a grocery store and it's also varied every meal. One day it might be lamb, kidneys and veggies for one meal, a few duck feet or chicken neck for another meal. The next day it might be mackerel or fresh sardines, a tad bit of chicken liver and veggies for one meal, some egg including shell all pulverized and a little beef tongue or rabbit the other meal, a little tripe will be added sometimes when my order arrives. So yes, very varied. lol. They had to be worked into the variety a little gradually with the raw food. But I didn't go too gradually and their tummies are fine.

So, whatever your dog can tolerate, I'd mix things up a little bit. If there's a problem with one food, at least the dog won't be only eating that food. I think eating the same food may cause the dog to miss out on some nutrients they may get in another food. I think with my dogs at least, they like having variety, whether store bought or home fixed. I worry about kibble...the oils getting rancid. Very unsafe. So, yeah, make sure it's okay. What I did when I was feeding TOTW kibble, I divided it into quart sized zip lock freezer bags and froze, leaving one out for something like two days worth. That will keep it fresher.

As far as your original question about getting bored, I really couldn't answer that for them. Who knows? But why take chances? LOL. Boredom can kill a dog. I never found that my dogs got picky from feeding a variety. But I also wouldn't hover and fuss over them, cojole them if they don't eat. I didn't say, "Oh, you poor darlings...you don't like that one? Okay, mama will get another kind for you right now." LOL. "Oh, not that one either? just one moment my little puddin poos, let me get you some of that other kind you are sure to like better." No, I put it down, "Oh, not hungry? Okay, I'll just put this in the fridge." Find out if it's not spoiled or something else wrong with it or the dog. Then pick it up after 15-20 minutes or so if they don't finish...until next time.

My dogs in the past very much of the time ate the same old thing every day. It was usually Purina, Gravy Train or Atta boy. They all lived long, healthy lives. But maybe they could have been healthier. Who knows? I'm not taking any chances. I think these days the commercial food must be worse than it was way back then. There are so many scary stories. But anyhow, maybe some dogs get fussy or finicky and some get bored or maybe most are just fine with the same thing. It's hard to say.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
maybe the kibble goes stale? years ago i brought home a bag of dog food and my dog refused to eat it. i finally stuck my nose not quite in the bag and realized that there was a rancid odor. the other incident i can think of is one evening a long time ago when my mother served a stew and i detected an odd odor and refused to eat. my dog also refused to touch meat from the stew! i tried to persuade my mother that that was proof she should not eat the stew. she told me the only reason my dog did not touch the meat was because of me. i wish! the next morning my mother told me i (and my dog) had been right, because she had been up all night with stomach problems.

i do believe you can "spoil" your dog - or your dog can train you to spoil him - but i have also learned to check the quality of any kibble if feeding from the same bag over a longer period.
I've notice Penny eats as enthusiastically from a new bag of the same food as she does from a bag of different food so I think patk might be onto something here.

Rick

·
Premium Member
22,302 Posts
One time we had a bag that we opened that Lily and Peeves refused to eat. We decided it must have been stale and exchanged it with no problems returning and no problems having them resume eating the same food.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Sophie, my spoo, says YES kibble can definitely get stale. My parents buy huge bags of 50 lbs at a time, sometimes several bags at once, and by the time she gets to the end of it she says "ICK!". Give her a freshly bought bag of the same kibble, and she eats it voraciously. After observing this for many years, I have been buying Ari's food in the smallest bags available only one at a time so that her kibble is always fresh.

On the picky eating side, Ari prefers to have her current kibble slightly moistened with water (This is Earthborn Holistic Puppy Vantage btw) which I am happy to do for her since there's no citric acid listed in the ingredients—I think the moisture increases the flavor and smell of the food for her. I discovered her preference because she was picking up the dry kibbles, tossing them in her water dish, and then messily fishing them out! Oh, Ari!

I think it's OK to rotate foods and accommodate your dogs' eating preferences as long as you don't let it get out of control. It's also OK to ignore your dogs' preferences as long as you're sure that their hesitance to eat a food is not due to the food being rancid/stale or them having an allergy. In the absence of any known allergies, it's really a matter of what works best for you and your family.

·
Premium Member
22,302 Posts
Since a 30 pound bag of food only lasts two weeks at my house, that is the size bag I buy and I also buy multiple bags if I see it on sale. I think if I went back every two weeks for the most part I would be buying out of the same or similarly dated lots.

For Javelin though when he was eating puppy kibble I bought one 15 pound bag at a time. I just finished the last puppy bag I had a couple of weeks ago and am letting him just graze with the grown ups. He has slowed growth (as he should) as he is now approaching 9 months old (mid February) and I think it is more fair to give him freedom in the house (which he has definitely earned) than to leave him unhappily in the kitchen where he often wouldn't eat what I put out for him anyway.

sophie anne, for a small and single dog in a home, you are right the smallest bags bought one at a time make the most sense.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
I think kibble goes off sooner than we realize, and our dogs' sensitive noses and often tummies pick that up long before we ever do. So I buy as small a bag of kibble as possible and don't try to economize. I've read to store kibble in its original bag, so I fill up a jar with about 8 or so days' worth of kibble that stays in the cupboard and leave the rest in the bag. Works pretty well, but I do think I could improve things by getting a food storage bin to put the bag in to help keep air away. Problem is lack of space at the moment.

Granted, my guy is a Toy, but this seems like it would apply with larger dogs given the giant size bags of kibble sold out there. I can't imagine buying one so large, even if a Standard lived here.

ETA: Just saw how quickly Lily CD RE's crew goes through a bag. Wow! But OP having one Spoo may not need to buy in such volume, especially since he is feeding a good deal of other food.

·
Premium Member
22,302 Posts
I think kibble goes off sooner than we realize, and our dogs' sensitive noses and often tummies pick that up long before we ever do. So I buy as small a bag of kibble as possible and don't try to economize. I've read to store kibble in its original bag, so I fill up a jar with about 8 or so days' worth of kibble that stays in the cupboard and leave the rest in the bag. Works pretty well, but I do think I could improve things by getting a food storage bin to put the bag in to help keep air away. Problem is lack of space at the moment.

Granted, my guy is a Toy, but this seems like it would apply with larger dogs given the giant size bags of kibble sold out there. I can't imagine buying one so large, even if a Standard lived here.

ETA: Just saw how quickly Lily CD RE's crew goes through a bag. Wow! But OP having one Spoo may not need to buy in such volume, especially since he is feeding a good deal of other food.
If I just had Lily I would be buying smaller bags one at a time. She is a good eater, but being the smallest of the three of them it would take her a while to go through a 30 pound bag on her own. Streetcar, yes that is a wow on how fast food disappears at our house. When it was just Lily and Peeves a 30 pound bag lasted three weeks. We do store our extra unopened bags in a cool dry location. When we open a bag we pour it into a storage bin. If I had a bin big enough to hold a 30 pound bag with it in the bag it would be sort of an eyesore in the house. the bin we have is just big enough for the 30 pounds of food and has a good seal. When we wash it we use a blow dryer to make sure it is totally dry before we refill it.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Since a 30 pound bag of food only lasts two weeks at my house, that is the size bag I buy and I also buy multiple bags if I see it on sale. I think if I went back every two weeks for the most part I would be buying out of the same or similarly dated lots.
I think a 50 pound bag of food lasts Sophie about 2-2.5 months, maybe a little longer, so when my parents are buying several bags the last bag might be 5+ months old by the time it is opened. Buying in bulk made a lot of sense when we had Sophie and a growing labrador guide dog in training and the turnover was faster, but now that it's just Sophie, the kibble is almost certainly going stale if not rancid in the closet while it waits. Some dogs with less refined tastes might not care (coughlabradorscough) but Sophie likes her food fresh and crispy. But this is Iams so it's not like it's caviar even when fresh... :act-up:

ETA: I store Ari's kibble in the biggest available one of these containers which hold about half of the bag at a time, and the rest of the bag gets tightly resealed and stored in a big Ziploc bag. Seems to keep it fresh pretty well.

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
One of the benefits of having small dogs - my girls usually have 2-3 bags of freeze dried raw, and a 2.2 pound bag of Ziwi Peak going at a time. The smaller bags are a higher price per pound, but it still works out cheaper than buying a larger bag and throwing out half of it!

·
3,110 Posts
Teddy is now 9 months, he's a standard.

It seems to me that every about 3 months, so far, he has stopped eating much of his dry food. Last time we changed to a different one and he gobbled it down eagerly, now 3 months later he doesn't seem to want to eat that food anymore?

Is this because we just haven't found the right food or do they just get bored.

He always eats his canned soft food and always eats the homemade food we sometimes provide. He even seems to like the older dogs food (what they leave when they are done) but for the two weeks or so he just won't eat his own dry food.
Trina had to have a different type of food than Kaydee, so I had to feed my girls at different times. But it was dry food. Sometimes I would add a little warm water to their dry, and then stir it well, and I noticed that they liked that. If I wanted to try a new food, I did it gradually, so as to not upset their stomachs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
We do store our extra unopened bags in a cool dry location. When we open a bag we pour it into a storage bin. If I had a bin big enough to hold a 30 pound bag with it in the bag it would be sort of an eyesore in the house. the bin we have is just big enough for the 30 pounds of food and has a good seal. When we wash it we use a blow dryer to make sure it is totally dry before we refill it.
Would you you be able to brief me on what kind of bin that is and where you bought it?
I was just looking at storage bins and wondering if I was gonna need one...

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
I agree that there's nothing wrong with changing up the brand of food, and kibble definitely goes off. We just have Abbey and she only eats 1 cup of kibble a day so we buy small bags, and we do change between Acana and Now every time we purchase.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts