Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering... Rio does pee on himself sometimes, he is still a squatter. I was thinking about (one reason) to wait to neuter him would be to let him get his leg lift going? Does it help the peeing on themselves?? Of course I'm sure there are MANY different more important reasons to get the surgery done, we are trying to do as much reading before we make our decision when would be the best time for Rio.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Squat....Mister pees on the back of his front legs pretty often. If he squats and then moves he'll usually nail a front leg with pee. He also is not a leg lifter. Never has been, he prefers to squat like a girl lol.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Neutering or not or how long you wait will not determine whether a dog will lift his leg or not.

I had an unneutered male growing up and he never learned to lift his leg. (He finally was neutered after he kept spraying everything in the house and trying to impregnant my stuffed animals) I had a neutered male that learned to lift his leg about a month after his neuter. And my current neutered male does both but is mostly a squatter...which is probably a good thing because he has terrible aim.

If he doesn't pee on himself he completely misses and gets our other dog. (We let them out together) or a passerbys leg or shoe. And still manges to get it on himself too. (thats with lifting his leg.)

In all seriousness though yes they do tend to pee on themselves more when they squat. Though for Zachary it doesn't seem to matter which way he goes we still have to wipe down his little legs...again he has terrible aim.

go ahead and get him neutered, if he is going to learn to lift his leg he will.

(FYI, my female Terrier mix doesn't squat she lifts her leg. Dogs are funny sometimes and well it is all in how they prefer to go...male or female)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haha, ya we had an American Eskimo growing up, female, and she lifted her leg... oh and humped EVERYTHING. Boy born in a girls body.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Riley still sometimes pees on himself if squating (he will start off nice and low and then get lazy and start to stand up). He was neutered at 5 months, and still became an Excellent leg lifter when we are out of our property!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Haha, ya we had an American Eskimo growing up, female, and she lifted her leg... oh and humped EVERYTHING. Boy born in a girls body.

Well I imagine when I get my Female American Bulldog she will probably lift her leg too. It seems that my Terrier mix just wanted to copy her brother and at the time we were potty training her our Poodle was an exclusive leg lifter and this dog looks up to him something awful, she tries to copy and be like him in everyway.

I can't imagine a Female American Bulldog though doing that but if my other two do I imagine she will too.

Funny and somewhat concerning story though:

Ofcourse Zack (Poodle) pretty much just squats now, He is 2 years old now, and all last year he lifted his leg but now he has gone back to squatting...I prefer it though its easier to clean him off, I think its just what he prefers.

Then again maybe he is confused. He eats out of a pink bowl and plays with pink toys and sleeps on a pink blanket at night.

But its what he prefers. Poor Sasha (Terrier) got stuck with all his Blue Stuff, she doesn't mind, if a bowl has food in it she will eat, if her bed has a blanket in it she will lay there, she has no preference.

But when we brought Sasha home, we got her a pink bowl, a pink blanket, a pink cell phone squeaky toy, a pink bear, and a pink dress. And Zack went straight to everything pink (though he isn't allowed to wear pink clothes) and all her stuff became his instantly. Now we don't fight it. We had to replace his bowl the other day and we just got him another pink one. We had to replace his blanket a few weeks ago, we had a blue one lying around he wouldn't use it, so we went out and got him a pink one, he went right to it.

I'm a little concerned but he is been through so much in his little life, I just shrug it off and say "whatever makes you happy pal and if you like pink well more power to you"

By the way Zachary was 8 months old when we adopted Sasha (who was 11 weeks old at the time) so they have grown up together

1 - 6 of 6 Posts