Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a good price for the full Embark genetic health panel today and was seriously considering it, but....

What if it shows something bad? What do you do with that information? Is it better to know or not to know?

Has anyone here (who's not a breeder) done a DNA test on their poodle?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
lol this is suuuuuuuper weird to read because I was considering doing the same thing today since I know Misha's breeder has embark tested one of his siblings and it made me curious. They have a sale right now for $150. The lowest I've seen it is $140.

I think it's better to know than not know. Like... say your dog had the genes for degenerative myelopathy. That's a disease that presents very similarly to hip dysplasia or arthritis. But knowing your dog has those genes means that you can take preventative measures to try to extend their mobility as long as possible with treatments that are specific to DM. It takes away the guesswork and increases your chances of improving outcomes.

If you've had your dog embark tested then any new problematic genes that are identified are searched for in previous dogs' genes as well. Which I think is cool. So even if your dog's parents were fully tested you can continually keep them screened for new genetic issues as research progresses.

There's also some other cool stuff I'd like to know like what their genetic estimate of COI is. I'd like to know if it matches up with my expectations.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Off topic a bit - but I wonder if we will get to the point where breeders use this as a tool to routinely screen their litters. Say there are 2-3 possible show prospects in a large litter, where one parent is a carrier the other is clear. Perhaps the breeder could test these 2-3 puppies, figure out if they are/are not carriers (and colours carried if it matters) and make their picks informed by that. I know Annie's litter had 3/12 puppies as possible show picks. (Annie was not one lol). Well worth the few hundred dollars, i would imagine in some cases, before spending the money on all the other costs of breeding and showing. So instead of, say, VWD being something they are aware of when choosing pairings - it's more heavily and directly selected against.

Or - you could use this for diversity, maybe choose a dog that Carrie's the more unusual genes from one of the parents.

Just an off topic thought.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Off topic a bit - but I wonder if we will get to the point where breeders use this as a tool to routinely screen their litters. Say there are 2-3 possible show prospects in a large litter, where one parent is a carrier the other is clear. Perhaps the breeder could test these 2-3 puppies, figure out if they are/are not carriers (and colours carried if it matters) and make their picks informed by that. I know Annie's litter had 3/12 puppies as possible show picks. (Annie was not one lol). Well worth the few hundred dollars, i would imagine in some cases, before spending the money on all the other costs of breeding and showing. So instead of, say, VWD being something they are aware of when choosing pairings - it's more heavily and directly selected against.

Or - you could use this for diversity, maybe choose a dog that Carrie's the more unusual genes from one of the parents.

Just an off topic thought.
Yes Embark actually has breeder litter pricing for doing exactly this. It's significantly discounted to do a litter.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Anyone in Canada done this? I would really like to. But it looks like shipping the sample needs to be paid separately if not in the U.S. Anyone know how much that might be?
Is the embark site the best place to purchase?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Anyone in Canada done this? I would really like to. But it looks like shipping the sample needs to be paid separately if not in the U.S. Anyone know how much that might be?
Is the embark site the best place to purchase?
I looked into it out of curiosity a while back to see the pricing for my friend’s mixed breed. On the Embark website, it said amazon may offer quicker shipping and shows that with my prime, I would get it by Saturday the 8th. I found it on Amazon Canada for $229 (on sale right now for $38 dollars off).

·
Registered
311 Posts
I looked into it out of curiosity a while back to see the pricing for my friend’s mixed breed. On the Embark website, it said amazon may offer quicker shipping and shows that with my prime, I would get it by Saturday the 8th. I found it on Amazon Canada for $229 (on sale right now for $38 dollars off).
So about $10 more to get faster shipping. Not much difference then.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts