Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone make their own toys? Photos or tips?

I've got a bunch of squeakers here from toys that Peggy has destroyed, and I'd love to build them into a new, more durable toy. Maybe one giant one?

I've seen lots of example online, but they're typically either rope-style or definitely not for power chewers.

Peggy loves to grind her molars on any sort of natural fibre, but will also dissect toys with her front teeth, thread by thread, with disturbingly surgical precision. Considering the mess she leaves behind, we didn't realize she was eating any of them until today when we watched her straining to poop out something purple and familiar. Oh Peggy.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Naughty Peggy!
I have made dog toys from braided t-shirts before, they stand up the hard chewers surprisingly well actually Evie is in need of a new one her current one has lasted for about eight months so...
You might try finding hard to chew up fabric like almost denim stuff or something like outdoor cloth, and sewing the squeker inside then put a binding on it should not be to challenging to make as long as you have a sewing machine.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I don't, but I would love to learn how and start making them. Sisko does the exact same thing. The only toys that have lasted are a rope toy he's had since he was a little puppy, and a almost indestructible rabbit toy, but he almost managed to chew off an ear, so I cut it off. Oh, no?! Peggy The Toy Destroyer!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Do you have any mismatched socks? Cut two socks down both sides, leaving the toe intact so you have a long thin piece of fabric. Knot them together like this (first site I could find with the same style of toys) https://createlaughgrow.com/home/2017/6/26/how-to-make-a-square-knot-dog-toy-thats-really-square

I have made a few with double layered old socks with squeakers in the toe, then braided/knotted for various dogs over the years and they have lasted forever. Annie likes to chew off the loose ends of the toys, but hasn't managed to chew the rest yet.

I like EV's idea about using denim - cut up old jeans are great for a lot of projects.

·
Registered
537 Posts
DIY dog toys- be still my heart. Yes! I have ideas...

The perennial favorite is a crunchy water bottle tied inside of an old [smelly?] gym sock.

Go here to see fancier stuff:

Try using paracord to make tug toys. I've used my old macrame skillz with paracord and a holey roller ball. I was very pleased with the results. Violet was like "meh." And Navy could not be bothered to even sniff it. However the 4' long braided paracord "rope" has seen a lot of use. Violet loves to run around the house dragging this behind her.

Just today, in my quest to train Violet to be a truffle dog, I tied truffle oil soaked cotton balls inside of a sock. She found this VERY interesting. It made #1 on her Toy of the Day list. In case you don't know, white truffles smell a lot like garlic and male pig hormones [I am not making this up].

Thanks for starting such an interesting thread, PeggyTP.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
I could give Renn any toy, he is very good with them and is not a big chewer. My cairn terrier is a hard chewer and will destroy any toy within minutes. She cannot have any stuffed, cloth toy. Even the fire hose material ones she will destroy because she will pull the stitches out or any protruding piece. So she can only have hard rubberized toys and under supervised there are a few squeaky dumbbell toys that she hasn't seem invested in destroying. She would however bite off any dimples they had but seems better about this lately. Renn still has toys from when he was a little pup, soft stuffed animals he just carries around and tosses some knotted bone type he will chew on the ends. But..no socks he will swallow any sock.

·
Super Moderator
5,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I could give Renn any toy, he is very good with them and is not a big chewer. My cairn terrier is a hard chewer and will destroy any toy within minutes. She cannot have any stuffed, cloth toy. Even the fire hose material ones she will destroy because she will pull the stitches out or any protruding piece. So she can only have hard rubberized toys and under supervised there are a few squeaky dumbbell toys that she hasn't seem invested in destroying. She would however bite off any dimples they had but seems better about this lately. Renn still has toys from when he was a little pup, soft stuffed animals he just carries around and tosses some knotted bone type he will chew on the ends. But..no socks he will swallow any sock.
Aren't they funny?? Peggy also has some toys she wouldn't dream of hurting. She carefully carries them around and positions them as pillows for her naps. One is a deer with a squeaker, and the other is a big marshmallowy monster with the most tempting horns. I don't get it!

·
Super Moderator
5,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DIY dog toys- be still my heart. Yes! I have ideas...

The perennial favorite is a crunchy water bottle tied inside of an old [smelly?] gym sock.

Go here to see fancier stuff:

Try using paracord to make tug toys. I've used my old macrame skillz with paracord and a holey roller ball. I was very pleased with the results. Violet was like "meh." And Navy could not be bothered to even sniff it. However the 4' long braided paracord "rope" has seen a lot of use. Violet loves to run around the house dragging this behind her.

Just today, in my quest to train Violet to be a truffle dog, I tied truffle oil soaked cotton balls inside of a sock. She found this VERY interesting. It made #1 on her Toy of the Day list. In case you don't know, white truffles smell a lot like garlic and male pig hormones [I am not making this up].

Thanks for starting such an interesting thread, PeggyTP.
Oh Peggy loooooooves her sockbottles. Unfortunately, she gets through them too fast now that her adult teeth are all in. She's not chewing them any differently, but those big chompers are powerful! I still make her one every once in a while and supervise her closely.

I'll check out that link. Thank you!

P.S. Peggy thinks those truffley cotton balls sound AMAZING.

·
Super Moderator
5,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you have any mismatched socks? Cut two socks down both sides, leaving the toe intact so you have a long thin piece of fabric. Knot them together like this (first site I could find with the same style of toys) https://createlaughgrow.com/home/2017/6/26/how-to-make-a-square-knot-dog-toy-thats-really-square

I have made a few with double layered old socks with squeakers in the toe, then braided/knotted for various dogs over the years and they have lasted forever. Annie likes to chew off the loose ends of the toys, but hasn't managed to chew the rest yet.

I like EV's idea about using denim - cut up old jeans are great for a lot of projects.
Those square knots are beautiful! And they look like they might have fewer jutting bits for eager teeth to dissect. Thank you!

Our landscaper's wife made a lovely "bone" out of braided denim for puppy Peggy. It's held up relatively well, but the frayed edges are still a problem. Lots of tantalizing threads!

Back in the baby-teeth days:

·
Super Moderator
5,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Naughty Peggy!
I have made dog toys from braided t-shirts before, they stand up the hard chewers surprisingly well actually Evie is in need of a new one her current one has lasted for about eight months so...
You might try finding hard to chew up fabric like almost denim stuff or something like outdoor cloth, and sewing the squeker inside then put a binding on it should not be to challenging to make as long as you have a sewing machine.
I love the thought of encasing the squeaker in denim and then building out from there. My mother-in-law brought me a lovely vintage sewing machine that she used, way back when, to make my husband's baby clothes. I'm still learning, so this would be a great project. Peggy's not picky!

·
Super Moderator
5,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't, but I would love to learn how and start making them. Sisko does the exact same thing. The only toys that have lasted are a rope toy he's had since he was a little puppy, and a almost indestructible rabbit toy, but he almost managed to chew off an ear, so I cut it off. Oh, no?! Peggy The Toy Destroyer!
It's interesting to me, which ones they spare. Peggy has a nubby old teething ring that she could absolutely destroy now, but she doesn't. Is Sisko gentle with his rope toy or is it just exceptionally resilient?

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
It's interesting to me, which ones they spare. Peggy has a nubby old teething ring that she could absolutely destroy now, but she doesn't. Is Sisko gentle with his rope toy or is it just exceptionally resilient?
I find it interesting too!

That's so cute?! It seems like she loves her teething ring very much.

It seems to be exceptionally resilient, but Sisko never chewes on it for a long time. He just likes it tossed and then he'll grab it and shake it and run around with it for a little bit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts