Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had the pleasure of getting to know our Dixie for the past 5 weeks.

The good:
She has the sweetest temperament! She's not jumpy or hyper, has great "natural" manners, walks really well on her leash for the most part, greets us with a sweet tail wag and leans her body in to us to say hi...I could go on, but she really has been an easy puppy so far.

What we need to work on:
I trimmed her face and paws for the first time... And she hated having her face done. She did pretty great on paws, but the face scared her so much she peed. I felt so bad. She's so sensitive and sweet, I think it really scared her how firm I was being. She's kind of a chicken heart. :)
She also barks for attention. Luckily it's minimal, and we ignore her. I'm also working on teaching speak and "quiet" to gain some control. But hopefully we can take care of this quickly.

We just love her and are so pleased. We feel so lucky to have gotten such a smart sweetie, and will keep working on the things that need improvement. Puppy classes begin for her this month!

By the way, can anyone recommend a grooming table for a beginner?

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
Dixie is adorable.

You can always trim the face in small sessions and slowly work up to getting it done in one session. Yes, it will look odd but it will help to ease her into grooming. Plus lots of praise and treats for being a good girl.

·
Super Moderator
3,479 Posts
She looks really smart, even too smart for a dog. Just look at those eyes. She looks like if she could talk, she'd say, "Did you remember to pay that bill? I think your car tags are about to expire. Why are you eating that, you know what the doctor said. How about I shave your face - I haven't forgotten that day." 😅

Oh, you're gonna have a lot of fun with her! Congratulations.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Dixie is a cutie and how nice to have an easy puppy, its nice to see it happens, lol. I have a flying pig grooming table, came complete with a head stand and loop. Amazon and size large. Works quite well and is very sturdy. My only problem is getting my guy up on it as he is 68 lbs now. My friend also has one but she has a room that has a bed in it and her dog jumps on the bed then steps onto the table for grooming.

·
Registered
58 Posts
So good to read a good news story. Dixie is adorable. With regardss to the face trimming, I recommend doing it once a week whether she needs it or not - she'll get used to it. I groom Happy every weekend and at 25 weeks, she doesnt fuss at all.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So good to read a good news story. Dixie is adorable. With regardss to the face trimming, I recommend doing it once a week whether she needs it or not - she'll get used to it. I groom Happy every weekend and at 25 weeks, she doesnt fuss at all.
That's a great suggestion! I think I'm going to order a grooming table to make my life easier, and start with frequent sessions.. Whether she really needs it or not.

I bought a wahl bravura based on suggestions here. Does anyone know what setting I should be doing the face on? Last time I just did it on the middle setting.

·
Registered
58 Posts
That's a great suggestion! I think I'm going to order a grooming table to make my life easier, and start with frequent sessions.. Whether she really needs it or not.

I bought a wahl bravura based on suggestions here. Does anyone know what setting I should be doing the face on? Last time I just did it on the middle setting.
The table will definitely help. I bought the overhead rod/rack system that clamps to a table. Really helped. I may go all in on a real grooming table down the road.

·
Registered
138 Posts
If I remember correctly the blade goes #9,10,15,30,40 that is going from left to right when the button is away from you. I was taught by my groomer to use either the #10/15 on the face/feet/sanitary and I normally use the #10 because I groom her out every 10-15days which is normally our bathing schedule.

Here is a link that I have used for some general knowledge when it come to blade questions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts