• No

Votes: 1 100.0%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Frances
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are take a three month break which may end in divorce. I will be traveling 1800 miles to care for my brother during this time. I have been working from home during the pandemic with Frances….so she’s with me all day BUT my wife is her favorite. She works away from home. If I take her she will be in a house with steep stairs she cannot manage. She will have to travel in a kennel during the drive. She will be in an area with poor veterinary services and she has issues with her pancreas and had two knees done. If she stays her mom will need to take her to doggy daycare all day long. It has good people but hard floors and large dogs who don’t share beds. I don’t know what to do. Frances doesn’t deserve any of these options.

·
Premium Member
7,201 Posts
This is a difficult situation for all of you. I agree that finding a solution to keep Frances in her familiar home and near familiar care is the soundest choice.

How old is Frances and what variety is she? Does she currently have full run of the home? Are her health issues chronic or episodic? How long have they been present?

If she currently has free rein but there are areas that might be a hazard for her, can baby gates be used to keep her safe while alone?

In addition to a hired dog walker, if you belong to the NextDoor community app, I frequently see neighbors asking for or offering those kinds of services.

Another way to keep an eye on her is to purchase and place an inexpensive camera or two that can be checked so long as there is an internet connection, and can be set to notify of preset "events". There are brands that do not require any additional fees for use.

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Its nice to see you are willing to step up and do whatever is right for Frances. If you are both willing to do what is in the best interest of Frances I would probably keep her in her now home and pay someone to come in to are for her. I have a family I bet sit for. They have a geriatric dog with many health issues and a small dog they can travel with. They usually leave the small dog home as to not upset the older dog and I go care for them several times a day.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
It sounds like it's a stressful time for all of you. The poor vet services would be the deal-breaker for me. It sounds like she needs to stay home. Has your wife said how she plans to handle keeping Frances?

·
Registered
Frances
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your your quick and caring responses. Frances is our 12 lb toy who is 13, going deaf, has cataracts, is addicted to carrots leash aggressive bundle of skin bumps and fatty tissue girl who needs a stress free life. I’m so sad she will not be getting it. I have decided to leave her with her other mother and help insure arrangements are in place before I leave.

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
I’m sorry you are going through all of this. Since Frances is a senior, with health issues, I’m firmly in favor of her staying put given the lack of veterinary care in your new destination. It’s sad, so hugs from Houston.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.