Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have mentioned before here about my son's dog having Parvo last August when he was at my house - I realized he was sick and we took him to the vet's immediately.

Anyway, I contacted a commercial cleaning supply company and the Manager kindly checked with the manufacturers of their products and I now have a gallon of disinfectant that is guaranteed for use in kennels to destroy the Parvo virus.

Anybody have any opinion as to once I have disinfected the whole house and the deck -- (I am not attempting to do my lawn - the puppy will have had all three Parvo shots by the time I get her) - should I be disinfecting the house again - or is once enough?

I am assuming once is enough. I wouldn't have taken these precautions if I had not had a puppy with Parvo on my property. I would be taking a puppy with all three shots into the outside world where she could come in contact with the Parvo virus just about anywhere.

Seeing I have a gallon and it only takes one-third of a cup per 2 gallons of warm water , I am going to reuse it when cleaning my floors. I just wonder if its REQUIRED.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
since she hs 3 shots i would not worry- at that point i'm taking pups to parks etc where parvo is rampant!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I honestly did not realize how rampant it was. I have lived in Regina for almost 40 years and I have had dogs, belonged to the Kennel Club and I have NEVER heard of any dog here having Parvo. When we took Cooper to my vet in the nw part of the city, the vet said they hadn't had a case of Parvo last year - Cooper got it at the beginning of August! However, when he had a relapse a few days later, we took him to the 24 hour clinic in the east end, and they already had another puppy with Parvo in the clinic.

When I got my last Shih-tzu, about five years ago, he was about eight weeks old, he arrived by plane from Calgary. We got him out of the crate, put his collar and leash on and walked him around. I would never do that again. That is what my son did - he picked the puppy up from the breeder, Cooper was on the ground in the Peavy Mart parking lot for maybe two minutes, so was his litter mate. Both of them got Parvo and the litter mate died.

Peavy Mart is in the east end. However, I guess it could easily have happened in another part of the city.

Thanks for the comment. I admit I am a bit paranoid about Parvo after what happened.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I had an experience with parvo last year. Willow ( who was 5 months old, and had been fully vaccinated, started acting "funny" by funny I mean, for the first time in her life, when I got home and let her out of her crate, she just walked. I thought for a minute Wow! She has suddenly become calm and, well, good! but then I noticed she was drooling a little, and got her to a vet. It wasn't my usual vet, but mine was closing soon, and it would take me 45minutes to get there.
Any way, the vet suspected Parvo, but Willow had had all her vaccines. She hadn't been anywhere but at my house.
Parvo in our area (southern north carolina) is really bad, and there are new strains coming out.
Im not saying this to scare you, but it is kind of spooky. We bleached our house, and everytime Willow went potty (we set an expen on our front porch, which is cement) We bleached that spot and hosed it down.
none of our other dogs caught it, and even now that I have the pups, none of them are sick.

Thing is, your dog doesnt have to come in contact with a dog with parvo, you can track it home on your shoes from the store, on your car tires, and of course on your skin.
I work at a busy vet office, and my pups were born in the height of parvo season not a single one has had so much as a sniffle (knock on wood)
Its kind of hit or miss with it.

Long story short, If it makes you feel safer, sanatize one more time, feel free to clean your floors everytime with that cleaner you got, what can it hurt.

If the puppy that was sick did use your yard, I would probably spray it down at least once, but who's to say a squirrel doesn't walk through some parvo and track it into your yard, you know?

Do what you and your vet feel is best, and since you know the signs of parvo, you can have her to the vet asap, early detection is the best way to save the puppies with this. Our vet office probably had at least 50 case of parvo pups(and one older dog) and we didn't loose any of them that I know of :)

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, he did poop in the yard a couple of times. I noticed he had diarrhea and I mentioned it to my granddaughter, who was at my house, and then she said he had been throwing up too. So we went straight to the vet's.

The trouble is, I have a big yard and I honestly have no idea where he pooped. This was a year ago. I can't see how I could possibly spray the whole yard with that disinfectant.

Since then we have had snow from November until March. We get below freezing temps all winter. We have had lots and lots of torrential rain from May to now.

I was thinking of doing the deck and the concrete paths. Would you be doing anything to the lawn or will the snow/rain have washed the virus away by now?

I have a feeling that getting Parvo AFTER a dog has had all its shots is quite rare, is it not?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Purley- i had a parvo positive pup at my house before bringing my aussie bitch home. We got her 2 sets of shots- i kept her out of the back yard until her 3rd- then went to heck with it.

IF you'd tke the pup to park t that point of vaccines- your yard is no worse. If you tke ANY Dog to the prk your carrying it home. . .

really your risk is no higher then nywhere else at this point (1 year later) you've tracked it in thousand times every time you've gone for a walk- to pet store, etc etc

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes. I do agree with you. I think that the risk of getting Parvo once you have had two shots is usually minimal. In some dogs it might be higher. The risk of getting Parvo after three shots - well I don't know what the odds are but might be something like getting struck by lightning twice.

I have argued with my dil about vaccinations for my granddaughter. My dil is a bit anal about organic food and no vaccinations. I said that I think the chances of dying of measles are pretty slim, but polio is another thing.

People seem to always be on the opposite end of the spectrum when it comes to vaccination.

I am going to go with you. I have the disinfectant already so I will do the hard surfaces in the house and the deck. What is left in the bucket I will get my husband to slop it down the path. Aside from that -- well - being alive has risks and so what will be will be.

There is an Aussie breeder in the kennel club. She does not believe in any vaccinations. She says all her pups get Parvo and she has only lost two. My vet is her vet and she says that she will never get rid of parvo on her farm.

I did save the Jean Dodd recommendations and I would suspect that the smaller the dog, the more susceptible it is to any vaccinations.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Purely- i know the aussie breeder :p my dog comes from some of her lines. I personally am a minimal vaccination type person. My older aussie did not leave our yard unless it was to friends places for about 3 years (He had an incident i had to completely resocialize him) he was 5 at the time- had several parvo shots under his belt- and a rabies- i did not vaccinate him for some time. 1- becuase i'm sure his titres were high, 2- he wasn't going anywhere where i felt the risk was higher then staying in our house.

When he went to doggy day care- he got another booster- just to be safe.

I follow DODD's vaccination schedule pretty much. Aussies are highly reactive to vaccinations. I think the middle ground of 'minimal' is a safe while not over doing it- way to go. I do know dogs on the minimal vaccination who got parvo at a dog show. . . there's always a risk- even fully vaccinated up the whazoo dogs can get it. IT's about bringing the risk down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts