Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Well, long time no write. LIttle Murphy is doing very well but lately he is having a discharge from the eye. (hes 9mo now). He is a brown poodle so you cant really see it, but on his mustache its all crutty, if you know what I mean. Its really hard to comb.

I know poodles have this issue, but it also smells somewhat.

I am neurotic bringing him to the vet for everything, so before i do that, I will ask you guys.

I was looking it up on the internet, and it just got me plan scared so i figured id just ask the poodle experts.

is this a sign of cateracs? blindness? or something else? or is it just plan normal and poodles do this and not to worry, just keep grooming him.

any ideas? Im starting to freak a little.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Can you discribe the discharge? Is it green/yellow? Or 'eye buggers' that are clear but dry out and you remove with your finger nail? That is pretty typcial. But if it's a discharge that is running... and leaving a stain, that is not right.

Many things can be a factor... your change of seasons/weather/wind/polutants
Food... sometimes grains in their food can make the eyes worse

So can you give more info on what it is you are seeing?
Simple eye drops may help... but if it's food related, then go to a grain free food and see if that doesn't help.
Oh... had any vaccines lately?
Karen

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
desertreef

thanks for answering.

ok, lets see. He was constipated so the doctor put him on 'canned food'. It was a special canned food that she gave us and we have to order it from them.

apparently, he couldnt eat the 'frum' (dry food) that I was given him.

however, due to the expensive of the 'wet food' I decided to see if I give him wet food from the store and if he isnt constipated from that, I would just keep him on it.

So i have him on some 'science diet' wet food. He eats it, but likes the 'medicine food' much better. (my puppy has expensive test)

We live in New England so the change of weather is pretty much everyday.:eek:hwell:

Can you discribe the discharge?

I am assuming its clear. He is a dark brown and I cant really see any color change. I actually dont even see the discharge from his eyes, but his mustache (around his nose) is always 'crusty'. I can comb it out though.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
It sounds like it could possibly be a discharge due to eye irritation from hairs rubbing against his eye ball. I have that happen sometimes with Ivy if her face hair gets a bit long, then she has a lot of clear, runny discharge that hardens into crusty stuff on her face hair and is easily pulled/combed out.

I am not saying that that is what it is, nor that it may not be something more serious, but if it were me, that would be the first thing I check on. Make sure he has no hairs that are waving up/down into or close to his eye ball... also, make sure he doesn't have any eye lashes that are curling in instead of out.

Good luck with figuring it out, but it doesn't sound like anything serious. Oh, are his eyes bloodshot, swollen looking or anything odd about them? If so, then I'd take him to the vet.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks jesters mom,

I do keep him in the 'puppy cut' so his hair is longer. His eyes look fine to me, but he does have 'hair' around his eyes. I think it's time to bring him to the groomers and Ill let them know.

oh, here is a pic of him.

murphy.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts