Poodle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 15 month old standard poodle has had digestive issues with loose stools since we brought him home at 8 weeks. They said he had giardia and was treated with pancur and metronidazole. His stools improved to formed but very soft and sometimes very mushy. I put him on a probiotic at the time and it seemed to help slightly. In December I ran out of the probiotic and decided I would see if he would be ok without it. About two weeks later he threw up twice. I took him to the vet and they did an xray and couldn't determine the cause. I asked if it could be because he came off of the probiotic and they said no. In June he stopped eating and was lethargic. I took him to the vet. They did a full workup along with xrays and an ultrasound and only could see some inflammation in the lymph nodes of his intestines He was hospitalized and given antibiotics. Shortly, after that I called the vet back and explained that while on the antibiotics his stool was normal and when he came off of them they became loose again. They gave him another antibiotic. Two weeks after that my dog was sick again running a fever, stopped eating, and was lethargic. I took him back to the vet and they did an xray, ultrasound again, and performed surgery which turned out to be a biopsy. (They had thought he might have eaten something but he did not). However, they saw inflammed lymph nodes again in his intestines and biopsied them. The biopsy came back and they still do not have an answer for me. Biopsy report just stated he had reactive inflammatory lymph nodes which according to the vet meant that his body is reacting to something. She said it could be food allergy, it could be IBD, but she wasn't for sure. She was going to do some research on Antibiotic Responsive Diarrhea and get back to me. He is on a low fat id diet from Hills Science and I just put him back on a prebiotic probiotic supplement yesterday. I also am thinking about adding a digestive enzyme. I have done a little looking into things and I am wondering if he has Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth or Edocirine Pancreatic Insufficiency. Has anyone dealt with this. It has been going on for so long and I don't want him to be sick anymore.

·
Super Moderator
3,211 Posts
Royal Canin Hydrolyzed Protein foods, which require a vet's prescription, helped two of my dogs when they were having chronic diarrhea. One dog had cancer, but the HP helped settle his gut during his final weeks. I'm still not entirely sure what was going on with the other dog. I suspect an infection and/or bowel irritation after eating something. The vet thinks irritable bowel syndrome. At any rate, a combination of metronidazole, HP formula, and probiotics got him feeling better after a few weeks of metronidazole plus a meat & rice gruel didn't solve the issue..

·
Registered
149 Posts
For my 4 month old puppy and my 13 year old senior, I mix their Royal Canin (puppy/senior) kibble with Life's Abundance All Stages grain free kibble. I wasn't familiar with the brand before getting Bode. Anyway, it has pumpkin and this works to give them a perfect stool. Neither dog will eat pumpkin otherwise.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I really feel for you. Digestive issues are seriously not fun. Bobby has had a semi sensitive gut with a few bouts of diarrhea and a tendency to barf bile when his stomach is empty over the 2 1/2 years we’ve had him. He’s always had tendency towards softer poo. Anyway, we recently just had a really bad bout of diarrhea that we just couldn’t get cleared up. It was off and on for a couple of months but towards the end it got way worse and pumpkin, probiotics and bland diet did nothing for him. Actually, for him, I think the probiotics made it worse. Finally, after two prescriptions of the metronidazole and putting him on a sensitive diet he has been really good for the last week. He’s currently eating the salmon Purina ProPlan for sensitive stomachs. I’m afraid to do anything else as he’s in a good place and I don’t want that to change. I think it’s helping his barfing too. I don’t have any advice but I really hope you can get things figured out. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
If you want to try the least allergenic food of them all from the vet, this is it : Royal canin anallergenic. If your dog is allergic to food, he would improve on it. My allergic dog has been on it for a while now. Food trials need to be for at least 3-4 months (can’t remember the exact duration).

I think it’s worth a try in your situation.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My 15 month old standard poodle has had digestive issues with loose stools since we brought him home at 8 weeks. They said he had giardia and was treated with pancur and metronidazole. His stools improved to formed but very soft and sometimes very mushy. I put him on a probiotic at the time and it seemed to help slightly. In December I ran out of the probiotic and decided I would see if he would be ok without it. About two weeks later he threw up twice. I took him to the vet and they did an xray and couldn't determine the cause. I asked if it could be because he came off of the probiotic and they said no. In June he stopped eating and was lethargic. I took him to the vet. They did a full workup along with xrays and an ultrasound and only could see some inflammation in the lymph nodes of his intestines He was hospitalized and given antibiotics. Shortly, after that I called the vet back and explained that while on the antibiotics his stool was normal and when he came off of them they became loose again. They gave him another antibiotic. Two weeks after that my dog was sick again running a fever, stopped eating, and was lethargic. I took him back to the vet and they did an xray, ultrasound again, and performed surgery which turned out to be a biopsy. (They had thought he might have eaten something but he did not). However, they saw inflammed lymph nodes again in his intestines and biopsied them. The biopsy came back and they still do not have an answer for me. Biopsy report just stated he had reactive inflammatory lymph nodes which according to the vet meant that his body is reacting to something. She said it could be food allergy, it could be IBD, but she wasn't for sure. She was going to do some research on Antibiotic Responsive Diarrhea and get back to me. He is on a low fat id diet from Hills Science and I just put him back on a prebiotic probiotic supplement yesterday. I also am thinking about adding a digestive enzyme. I have done a little looking into things and I am wondering if he has Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth or Edocirine Pancreatic Insufficiency. Has anyone dealt with this. It has been going on for so long and I don't want him to be sick anymore.
So very sorry to hear about this.
We have had feeding issues with our Mini Poo, which has led us to a couple of discoveries.
When she was about 5 months old she had a bad bad case of tummy upset.
Ok, this was probably because of something she picked up and ate.
Royal Canin was advised by our vet, and see Royal Canin mentioned here in other posts.
We also fed her boiled chicken and rice.
It took a while but got sorted.
I think Royal Cannin is a good thing to try, especially as .... Poppy is a right fussy eater, but sometimes when she turns her nose up at our offerings, we discover she actually wants to eat the bland Royal Canin Gastrointestinal 'kibble' - her choice!
Wish you well, and hope it resolves itself soon!

·
Premium Member
13,502 Posts
I use Protexin Pro-Kolin Enterogenic sachets for what is very probably SIBO in Poppy. She also gets 1/4 metrobactin every three days. One or other or both keep her digestion comfortable - I have tried cutting out the metrobactin but she had a soft stool after 4 days, so I reinstated it. The recommendation is to give the Pro-Kolin in a single daily dose but it suits Poppy better if I spread it out across her meals (4 a day, because of her liver failure). The Pro-Kolin took some time to be effective - around 8 weeks as I recall - so it is not a quick fix, and I still keep digestive paste to hand for the odd occasion she eats something she shouldn't, but for the most part this regime keeps her splat free despite her quite considerable health issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts