Poodle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
On our way to the vet.... as we left, past by a hospice yard we played in on Saturday before going to the soccer field where she threw up.... there was a small, white sign tucked in the hostas, invisible in the dark when I walked her. On Friday, they applied Fiesta, a herbicide, to the yard.... ****.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I’d take to vet too. Bless both of y’all’s hearts! Maybe she needs a few hours with vet and some IV meds and fluids. If it is those treats 😡 what in the world kinda ‘treats’ r they?!

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
I'm glad you've gone to the vet. ((((HUGS)))) I hope everything is okay.

Reactions: For Want of Poodle

·
Super Moderator
3,593 Posts
On our way to the vet.... as we left, past by a hospice yard we played in on Saturday before going to the soccer field where she threw up.... there was a small, white sign tucked in the hostas, invisible in the dark when I walked her. On Friday, they applied Fiesta, a herbicide, to the yard.... ****.
Noooooooo. My blood boils for you and poor Annie!!

I'm sending all the good vibes I've got, up and across the border to you. I do know that "sick fur" you mention and it worries me. Hoping for some positive progress today. Hugs.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So, vet did bbloodwork and an exam. She has a tender "angry"" stomach, really high levels of amylase, but other than her pancreas, all organs look fine and the herbicide (very likely to blame) is very toxic short term, but should leave the system soon. Got a 3 day pain shot, anti nausea tabs, and an enteric solution with bentonite clay, and instructions to keep syringe feeding electrolytes if she wont eat, and water if she wont drink. The vet said she isnt dehydrated enough to need IV fluids but to keep on top of the syringing. Oh, and to bath her to remove any other residue.

Oh!!! And she drank a bit!!!

The vet techs comment was 'for a really sick dog, she sure is happy". Yup. She doesnt think she is sick, especially after pain meds, and is telling me it

This is the only selective herbicide allowed for non agricultural use in Ontario as it is a "safer" option. And with the way I walked in, and the way the sign was tucked away, there was no chance even in daylight of me having seen it. Luckily I only threw the ball 3 or 4 times... I literally didnt know any herbicides were still legal. I cant imagine the toxicity of the others.

·
Super Moderator
3,593 Posts
This is the only selective herbicide allowed for non agricultural use in Ontario as it is a "safer" option. And with the way I walked in, and the way the sign was tucked away, there was no chance even in daylight of me having seen it. Luckily I only threw the ball 3 or 4 times... I literally didnt know any herbicides were still legal. I cant imagine the toxicity of the others.
I have a lot to say on this topic, but instead I'm just going to keep hoping that Annie continues her recovery with no lasting effects. And I encourage you to share this story in conversation with other dog lovers. There's still no much ignorance on this subject, especially south of the border. Folks can learn from poor Annie's experience.

Keep wagging that tail, Annie!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
PTP- I also have opinions on herbicides. I actually LiKE biodiversity in my lawn, and reading the SDS sheet for this "safe" one and discovering they dont wvwn know how long it persists in the soil and it needs to be applied every 2-3 weeks, and they dont have toxicity data on it other than LD50 (dosage at which 50% die) was pretty alarming. Also really alarming, I still cant find the actual chemical formula/compound ingredients, just that it is advertised as "just iron" and "" safe to walk on as soon as it is dry".I am an organic gardener for a reason.

But! In better news, pain meds + a strong anti nausea drug =she is eating!!!! She threw up again once more before the anti nausea drug and there wasnt any more blood/flesh in it, either. She has now had two tiny meals, will have one more tiny meal before bed.

She has gone from this (car ride to vets)
20200615_121744.jpg

To this (trying to dig out the chippies from under the deck).

20200615_195653.jpg

I think I will sleep tonight :)

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Awesome!!😀 So glad to see this! I'm against herbicides too PTP, FWOP, there's a lawn service that comes to our apartment complex every Thursday and the last time they were here, I noticed that they sprayed something down on the grounds, but I don't know what it is.

·
Super Moderator
3,593 Posts
Awesome!!😀 So glad to see this! I'm against herbicides too PTP, FWOP, there's a lawn service that comes to our apartment complex every Thursday and the last time they were here, I noticed that they sprayed something down on the grounds, but I don't know what it is.
Eek! Better find out what it is if there's any chance of Sisko coming in contact with it.

·
Super Moderator
3,593 Posts
PTP- I also have opinions on herbicides. I actually LiKE biodiversity in my lawn, and reading the SDS sheet for this "safe" one and discovering they dont wvwn know how long it persists in the soil and it needs to be applied every 2-3 weeks, and they dont have toxicity data on it other than LD50 (dosage at which 50% die) was pretty alarming. Also really alarming, I still cant find the actual chemical formula/compound ingredients, just that it is advertised as "just iron" and "" safe to walk on as soon as it is dry".I am an organic gardener for a reason.

But! In better news, pain meds + a strong anti nausea drug =she is eating!!!! She threw up again once more before the anti nausea drug and there wasnt any more blood/flesh in it, either. She has now had two tiny meals, will have one more tiny meal before bed.

She has gone from this (car ride to vets) View attachment 467414

To this (trying to dig out the chippies from under the deck).

View attachment 467415
I think I will sleep tonight :)
From that first photo to the second, what an emotional roller coaster!!

I hope tomorrow is all chippy chasing. Maybe even a squirrel or two? Just this once? ;)

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
I'm glad you have a diagnosis, and she is on the mend, but shocked that toxic chemicals are permitted in areas accessible to the public, or at all for something as non-essential as weeding a lawn. Perhaps a polite letter to the property owners, explaining what happened and suggesting more prominent signage or discontinuing the practice would be a good idea?

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Truly, to not have given better notice to folks in the area!

Without intending it to be an Ask for Anything, I'd send them a copy of your vet bills to let them know what this cost financially and emotionally, and what it might have cost you all.

So glad to have a diagnosis and treatment. Heal Annie!

·
Super Moderator
3,593 Posts
I'm glad you have a diagnosis, and she is on the mend, but shocked that toxic chemicals are permitted in areas accessible to the public, or at all for something as non-essential as weeding a lawn. Perhaps a polite letter to the property owners, explaining what happened and suggesting more prominent signage or discontinuing the practice would be a good idea?
Canada's on a slow journey to banning them, but in the United States, it's more likely that these chemicals have been used in public spaces than not. :(

And it's not unusual for your neighbours on all sides to be using them, too.

Combine that with the chemicals used inside the average home, and I suspect dogs must suffer terrible reactions all the time. But I'm not sure many humans are as savvy as Annie's, so I'd imagine most effects go undocumented.

For Want of People, once this is well in the rearview mirror, you might want to consider a letter to your local paper. At the very least, it might educate someone. But for now we'll just focus on Annie getting better and better. Hope tonight's going smoothly.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
She's awake and happy this morning, but not as interested in food as yesterday. I am to return to the vet if there's no progress by Thursday.

We are at mom's trailer, which is 10 min from the vet's office, and will stay here until she is better (Darn, working from the lake, how sad). I'll try and let her run off leash (and, yes, chase a squirrel or two) while we are here.

My plan right now is to give them a call - it happened at the local hospice, so a place were terminally ill people go to die comfortably. I don't want anything, but I do want them to know, as it's quite possible for some of the patients to have their dogs visit them, and it would be tragic if something happened to a dog belonging to one of the patients!!! I will also call the company on the sign to let them know they need to do a better job of signage. This is literally the only place other than agricultural fields I have ever seen pesticides/herbicides used, it isn't something I am accustomed to watching for. Technically, I probably shouldn't have been running a dog on the grass in front, but it's on such a quiet street that whenever I walk past there I usually let Annie drag her leash, and play ball a bit, since most of the parks are closed.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts