Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working in a grooming shop for about two years, mostly as a bather/dryer so im very familiar with drying the coat properly and making sure not to damage the coat, etc...

What i'm not familiar with are all the different grooming styles out there and we don't see too many standards. The ones we do see are usually so matted that a brushout is useless and they have to be shaved down anyway just because of how damaged the coat would be even after all the brushing.

I'm about to get a standard of my own and my manager also wants to train me as a groomer so i'm looking forward to have my own dog to work with so that I can become more familiar with grooming the standard poodle.

I know i want to keep mine in a long coat, he will be indoors for the most part and out of the heat. I'll be able to keep his coat in good shape and free of matts tangles but I guess im wondering what the styles are called so that i can look them up and get a better idea of what I want. Or even photos of the standards you have keeping a long coat.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
A good book to have is Shirley Kalstones Poodle grooming book. It is a wonderful tool.

What do you mean by long coat?

Here are a few websites showing different styles of clips.
http://www.groomers.net/discus/messages/126/2008.html?1236317225
http://www.caninereference.com/caninereference/CanineReference.nsf/lkakcAlpha/9180FB942ADB920D85256E71006E9642

you can also just Google or Dogpile "Poodle Clips/cuts"

Haha I have to laugh at saying the dog will stay indoors, its hard to keep a Standard inside. I though the same thing but just two days after grooming my standard, Tuesday, she is filthy from playing outside! :lol:

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure that will happen, I have a nice large yard and part of it is mud and turns to swamp after a night of rain. I also have a 5 month old Great Pyrenees and it always seems right after fluffing out her coat she's all caked in mud again!

I really just mean i'd like to keep the coat long and pretty natural, maybe a clean face but that's about it.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
LoL, I spent two hours bathing and drying Jazz this week. She was extra dirty because I was a bab mommy and skipped her weekly bath last week. Wow!! The amout of "stuff" that she had in her coat was amazing. Of course the day I groomed her it rained that night and she was one big dirty mess after just a few minutes in the yard *eye roll*
I keep my girl in kind of an english saddle. I say kind of because only her back end has ever been scissored. Her jacket has been left natural except for some light shaping on the bottom. I keep telling myself I'm going to make time to scissor it and make it nicer and more finished looking and dang if I can find the time sometimes to even bath her. There is something to be said, especialy working in a groom shop, for keeping a shorter coat in a stylish trim. It takes at least an hour to blow dry Jazz's coat now, bleh.

Are you going to try and see how long you can get the coat to grow before you get fed up with it? :)

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would like to see how long I can keep it. I would be able to bring him to work with me as often as i'd like so he'll stay brushed out. I take my Pyrenees to work with me almost every day because she just loves it. Everyone in the shop loves on her, pets her, 4 different people brush her coat, it's almost like I don't have to do anything!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
What a cute baby you have.

It's really difficult to find photos of some of the poodle styles on the net so the Kalstone book is definitly the way to go.

Any style can be maintained in any length you choose, with maybe the excepts of the kennel clip or sportsman as some of my clients call it. That basicly calls for the dog to be shaved down so you wouldn't be able to go all natural with that one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts