Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Johnny is great at staying at my side when walking, actually to good. He has started to bumping into the side of my knee and even swinging his back end into the back of my knee. This happens about every third step. Goofy dog....:ahhhhh:

Have you seen this before? Any ideas how to fix?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Johnny does not lead or lagging, but he walks too close to me and bumps into the side of my leg.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Oh, I see. I have never experienced this issue, but it sounds like he is insecure and being clingy. I would walk a little more briskly and do some direction changes. Click and treat for proper heel position.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
I think if he is doing this from a position of confidence rather than being clingy where keeping him moving and guessing about where you are going as zooeysmom suggested should work I would add bumping him back to move him away from you. Once he understands that you are bumping him to get him to give a little space between you then add an order like "away" and eventually just fade it to saying away when he starts to crowd you. Unless he is really crashing into you in a way that throws you off balance though this isn't really the worst problem in the world.

The other part of why this kind of crowding or heeling wide can develop is if you aren't actually walking in a straight line. This has been something I do, so I spend a lot of time practicing walking in precisely straight lines whenever I am in a place where there is a pattern in carpet or floor tiles so I can self assess how straight I am actually moving. If people watch me closely when I am doing this I bet a lot of them think I am a little strange.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Johnny is definitely a confident dog. I have tried bumping him back but he doesn’t notice. I will teach him away.

Oh, I had not thought about me walking crooked....I do that. I will keep an eye on that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts