Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, so I’ve got two dogs: a senior spaniel and a 1 year old Mini. I had both on Blue Buffalo (Puppy & Adult).
We ran out of the puppy BB at around 1 year so I switched the Mini to the adult formula and then....we ran out of it. Neither dog loved it but it seemed ok until the mini started losing weight and the spaniel started to have stomach issues (gas). Because we were out, I went out and bought Taste of the Wild puppy (reverted back to puppy due to the weight loss) for the Mini and the adult version for the spaniel.
They absolutely hate it and refuse it.
Does anyone know of an overall good brand that has both puppy and senior/adult formulas and is gentle on tummies? (That I can find in store?) We have two hungry/gassy canines ☹

·
Super Moderator
9,189 Posts
Peggy’s done well on Farmina. We transitioned her from the puppy formula to this one:

But you’d probably want the small breed formula:

I’ve found it has a smaller serving size than some other foods, which tells me it’s a nutrient dense kibble. I also read that it’s never had a recall since being introduced in the United States in 2013.

Here’s a detailed review:

I also handfeed about half of Peggy’s daily calories as training treats, typically in the form of this kibble:

She will do just about anything for it.

My suggestion is to get samples from a local independent petfood store and let your dogs choose. You can just feed the kibbles as treats before committing to a full bag, and even then, get the smallest bag you can to ensure it’s well tolerated.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Peggy’s done well on Farmina. We transitioned her from the puppy formula to this one:

But you’d probably want the small breed formula:

I’ve found it has a smaller serving size than some other foods, which tells me it’s a nutrient dense kibble. I also read that it’s never had a recall since being introduced in the United States in 2013.

Here’s a detailed review:

I also handfeed about half of Peggy’s daily calories as training treats, typically in the form of this kibble:

She will do just about anything for it.

My suggestion is to get samples from a local independent petfood store and let your dogs choose. You can just feed the kibbles as treats before committing to a full bag, and even then, get the smallest bag you can to ensure it’s well tolerated.
Thank you! I’m actually headed out right now to the stores to see what I can find. I’ll look for Farmina. Do your dogs like the Farmina?

·
Registered
767 Posts
If you have a Petsmart nearby, Nulo is also a pretty good one that both my dogs liked (Ms. "Farts" Misty had no gas on it from what I can recall, and Mr. "Tummy Upset" Fluffy chowed down like no tomorrow). You might be able to find it at Pet Supplies Plus, too, if you have that in the area.

Nulo Pet Food | Healthier Together™

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have a Petsmart nearby, Nulo is also a pretty good one that both my dogs liked (Ms. "Farts" Misty had no gas on it from what I can recall, and Mr. "Tummy Upset" Fluffy chowed down like no tomorrow). You might be able to find it at Pet Supplies Plus, too, if you have that in the area.

Nulo Pet Food | Healthier Together™
Thats where I’m headed actually lol. It’s the only decent place to get their food

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I have been feeding Purina for at least 50 years. The handlers I used when my dogs were being shown also fed Purina to most of the dogs they were showing. They and I usually add a bit of canned meat (not the "dinners" but just meat) as a topper.

·
Super Moderator
9,189 Posts
Thank you! I’m actually headed out right now to the stores to see what I can find. I’ll look for Farmina. Do your dogs like the Farmina?
Yes, Peggy “chose” the Farmina when we offered her samples for a few weeks. She even chose the specific flavour out of multiple options.

But I don’t think you’ll find it at Petsmart. We get it from Chewy or an independent petfood store. Same with Honest Kitchen.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have been feeding Purina for at least 50 years. The handlers I used when my dogs were being shown also fed Purina to most of the dogs they were showing. They and I usually add a bit of canned meat (not the "dinners" but just meat) as a topper.
Ive been mixing in canned meals with the minis kibble to try to get her fattened back up. She’s very picky and also not big on food already

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Ive been mixing in canned meals with the minis kibble to try to get her fattened back up. She’s very picky and also not big on food already
Being uninterested in food is very common in poodles (and many other breeds). Purina has a big research lab; many of the designer dog foods do not. I understand that Purina tests food on beagles - dogs who are, to put it mildly, enthusiastic eaters, but the thing that I want to know from Purina is how well balanced a food is. I do avoid soy in dog food, tho.

·
Super Moderator
9,189 Posts
One thing that’s really stood out to me about poodles is that they aren’t typically gluttonous. Meaning they won’t eat if they’re not hungry.

By mixing toppers into Peggy’s food, we were tempting her to push past her natural satiety signals. Or the chicken was going to waste because we had to toss it after 30 minutes.

So instead we feed a dollop of canned chicken separately at breakfast and dinner, in its own dish. That way it doesn’t contaminate the dry kibble and she can free feed on the kibble as her appetite dictates.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
If, and only if, you are showing your poodle in conformation should you try to "fatten up" your poodle. My Zoe is pretty boney - no fat padding at all. So when we were showing her we fed her "fat balls" to add weight. If you need the recipe, just google "Satin Balls".

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We weren’t able to find a lot of those foods, did see Nulo and almost went with that but we saw Canidae so we’re going to try that and see if they’ll eat, it’s got flavors that should be appealing. Normally my spaniel will eat anything, literally, he’s a garbage can, so seeing him and the Mini both reject Taste of the Wild...it must smell bad

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If, and only if, you are showing your poodle in conformation should you try to "fatten up" your poodle. My Zoe is pretty boney - no fat padding at all. So when we were showing her we fed her "fat balls" to add weight. If you need the recipe, just google "Satin Balls".
Oh no, she’s a pet only! She lost weight after being taken off puppy formula so trying to get her back to where she was.

·
Registered
Stella - Standard Poodle
94 Posts
I've been feeding my pup Acana. She seems to really like it. When looking for dog foods, I always use a website called dog food advisor. They are independent and they rate dog foods.

·
Registered
688 Posts
We weren’t able to find a lot of those foods, did see Nulo and almost went with that but we saw Canidae so we’re going to try that and see if they’ll eat, it’s got flavors that should be appealing. Normally my spaniel will eat anything, literally, he’s a garbage can, so seeing him and the Mini both reject Taste of the Wild...it must smell bad
We’ve tried several good foods (there are many good choices) for Bobby as I liked the idea of rotating and he did well enough with all of them with the exception of one. After some bad of diarrhea due to a food that definitely didn’t agree with him, we switched him to Canidae and we have kept him on that ever since. It’s been the best food we have tried for him. We have tried several formulas and all have been great! He likes Canidae a lot and his poops are the best he’s ever had! 😉 Hope it works for you!

·
Premium Member
4,648 Posts
We use Hills Science Diet - regular. Some folks say it is low on Dog Food Adviser - but don't really care about that. Asta loves it, perfect poops and better looking skin and coat. Asta did not do well on Purina - great constipation, poor boy. I bought it from Chewy - if your pup does not like it,they will refund and say donate the food to a rescue or local shelter.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
You're getting a lot of good suggestions but you'll get nearly as many brands as you get responses. There's a lot to choose from out there :). They will all bottom out to which your pups will eat happily, and which are properly formulated and tested to meet AAFCO minimum standards.

Some guidelines

I have two mpoo brothers. Neo has always been happy to eat. Anything. Remo has always been a picky eater until, when he was almost three years old!, I went with a brand recommended in this thread and periodically in others, Purina Pro Plan Small Breed (formerly the Savor variety). I top all kibble meals with some bits of protein from our dinner and some warm water to create an au jus.

It turned out that Remo wasn't a picky eater, he just didn't much care for all the other brands and flavors I'd tried up til then. My poor little guy, I will always feel unhappy with myself that I didn't get it right sooner.

The big box stores will take bags back (used to anyhow, haven't had to for a while now) if your dogs don't like it, and the bag is still mostly full. A few brands may have trial sizes. The smaller, independent pet stores will usually do the same.

I didn't think to try this, but possibly contacting a few manufacturers that you narrow down to might result in some coupons or something. Can't hurt to ask.

If you want to go down one of the nutrition rabbit holes, Floof has started a great nutrition thread here
The quest for nutrition

·
Registered
576 Posts
Both my dogs hated TOTW in the red/bourbon colored bag. Don't remember what meat it was. They liked the other colors. I normally feed raw, but fed kibble when we were moving.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You're getting a lot of good suggestions but you'll get nearly as many brands as you get responses. There's a lot to choose from out there :). They will all bottom out to which your pups will eat happily, and which are properly formulated and tested to meet AAFCO minimum standards.

Some guidelines

I have two mpoo brothers. Neo has always been happy to eat. Anything. Remo has always been a picky eater until, when he was almost three years old!, I went with a brand recommended in this thread and periodically in others, Purina Pro Plan Small Breed (formerly the Savor variety). I top all kibble meals with some bits of protein from our dinner and some warm water to create an au jus.

It turned out that Remo wasn't a picky eater, he just didn't much care for all the other brands and flavors I'd tried up til then. My poor little guy, I will always feel unhappy with myself that I didn't get it right sooner.

The big box stores will take bags back (used to anyhow, haven't had to for a while now) if your dogs don't like it, and the bag is still mostly full. A few brands may have trial sizes. The smaller, independent pet stores will usually do the same.

I didn't think to try this, but possibly contacting a few manufacturers that you narrow down to might result in some coupons or something. Can't hurt to ask.

If you want to go down one of the nutrition rabbit holes, Floof has started a great nutrition thread here
The quest for nutrition
I bought Canidae (duck flavor) as it has the best looking ingredients for the right price that I could find. Both dogs ate it and it went over a lot better than the Taste of the Wild kibble (which I’ll be donating to the ASPCA).
A poster mentioned feeding kibble as treats and so we bought a treat ball and stuffed it with food and that also worked! I think we also might just have a reluctant eater, sounds like that’s normal for poodles.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts